Headed to Wisconsin for Gun Deer Season

Dave King

It's time for my regularly scheduled high speed trip up to Wisconsin for the gun deer season.

I'm gonna leave down here on Wednesday the 14th and make landfall in Eau Claire on Thursday the 15th. I'll do a little scouting to make sure I can get to my stand site opening morning the then off to the Hide-A-While for a few cheeseburgers and a beer, catch up on the latest gossip then await Saturday morning.

Anyone else headed up that way???

a few cheeseburgers and a beer,

if i were going i'd probably have a few beers and a cheeseburger!

watch out for the fake plywood copy's of moose the locals put out up there. my buddy was completely fooled by the first one he saw a few years ago.

My daughter will be leaving Eau Claire on Friday to go NE of Antigo for our hunt. She's going to school there. If she couldn't have gotten a ride I told her to find a place to hunt there and I would go there to hunt. They had snow there on Friday morning but warmer weather and rain removed all traces of it.
At least if we hunted there I could shoot coyotes too. We are north of hwy. 64 so they are off limits.
There's a nice 10 pointer that had his pic taken on my bil's trail cam. He has 40 acres surrounded by state land.

Mike

I'm going to hunt near Blair the first day then up and down the Chippewa River area between Pepin/Nelson and Caryville for a few days. We also generally get up north of LadySmith over near Winter for a day or two.

I travel up to visit friends and suffer family, I give the deer away as I don't need to haul any back here, we have plenty of deer too.

I hunt public or "low tax" open to public areas mostly, there are plenty of deer to go around most time.

Aha.. let me dig around a bit!!

I have several new toys to give a try.. I have a lopped off Remington Classic in 300 Savage that needs some time in the woods, its my newest something different rifle... it has a ~18" barrel and a light 3x9 Leupold. (I suspect that it if performs poorly it'll be scrapped for the donor action.)

I'm also dragging along my Colt 1911 45ACP specifically modified for the Wisconsin hinterland (and the WI DNR 5.5" barrel requirements)... it now sports a Kart 6" barrel and a special open-on-the bottom holster to accomodate that extra inch of bare barrel.

Welcome back to Wisconsin.

I need to warn you, though. The Cheeseheads are wearing even bigger cheese hats because Brett Favre has taken us to 8-1 for the season.

Len

Thanks for the warning and I'll be extra careful, but who is Brett Faver and why has he taken you cheeseheads to 7?? (My mother-in-law seems a little odd as of late, maybe she's in on it!)

BTW, she called tonight, lots of gossip I guess, someone close to the family (not my side) had all their teeth pulled, my sister-in-law decide to discontinue her land-line phone service and use only cell phone, and thankfully my mother-in-law STILL can't figure out how to make internet e-mail work.

Okay, another Wisc deer season in the bag.

The trip was pretty uneventful but there were some gear problems; the air boat shredded it's prop and the new prop was a pull type and not a push (right vs left twist or something) so we could back-up great but going forward was a problem, the fishing boat worked well but the trailer had a broken spring... a little rope and more weight distribution and we made it work, the Bronco blew a brake line and we had spongy brakes but we didn't back into the Chippewa river during boat launch so that was nearly okay.

Opening morning we were near Blair and within about 2 minutes of leaving the Bronco and entering the swamp I had three bucks fighting within about 20 yards of me... lots of grunting, rushing, crashing, water flying etc. The smallest of the three fighting bucks stood about 12 yards from me (in the clear) for about 30 seconds trying to figure out if I was friend of foe but try as I might I couldn't get a clear shot through the red-willows when the large (nice proper shooter) buck stood still catching its breath (about 15 yards). Mean while Randy, my hunting partner, managed to shoot three does (family unit) about as far from the truck as we could get, it took us about an hour (at least) to drag them out relay style. We met a really young fella toting a Marlin 30-30 lever gun (probably his first hunt by himself) as we were dragging... as he gazed down at the three does we were dragging he asked how we got so "lucky"... we told him it was self defense.

We did manage to make a few trips to the various islands on the lower Chippewa to complete our annual circuit. I have a stand called "15 deer" on the one island, it once again held true to its name, I saw plenty of deer including three bucks but was holding out for a large(r) buck. We did manage to get to a doe shooting section and Randy drove a few does past, I shot two.

All-in-all it was a good season, we ended with seven deer, one smallish buck (mine in a weak moment) in the bunch. We gave two to folks that wanted venison but don't hunt and Randy had the rest hanging on his all purpose engine hoist, boat lift, flimsy swing, deer pole contraption.

Yes, I did get to fill up a few times on Sally's famous burgers at the Hide-A-While bar near Rock Falls.

Here's Randy and a few of the does we had by the third day. He used a circular saw to cut the legs off....(??) I threatened to buy him a Dewalt cordless Saws-All for Christmas but his reply was a curt... Why??

Wisc-deer-gun-2007.JPG

P. S. On Thanksgiving Day I sat through 1/2 of the Packer's game and now I know who this Bratt Favre fell is, folks up that way can't seem to stop talking about him. I believe there must have been about 4.8 billion dollars bet on that game just by the folks I met during the hunt(s). I also learned that with enough beer and chips football isn't that bad a spectator sport.

Last edited:
one smallish buck (mine in a weak moment) in the bunch.

Perhaps Len will add a section to the forum right below the one "Trophy Photos" just for you and me. He could call it the "Underdog Section". We could even have a contest to see which forum member kills a legal buck that scores the least B&C points. I have a good collection of 4 and 5 inch long spikes.:D

BB

I know it's not really a contest but...I win that one. Wisconsin has an Earn-A -Buck rule designed to reduce the size of the 1.7 million deer herd. You must first shoot an antler-less deer in order to qualify to tag a buck. So last week I shot 2 anterless deer within minutes of each other (with my new XP-100 handgun). Turns out one was a nubbin buck fawn (not considered a buck technically). Its 1/2 inch antlers didn't even break the skin.

But alas! I failed to take a picture.

The smallish buck was a 6 point (eastern count of course) but even at that he didn't warrant a picture. I had an earn-a-buck tag from the 2006 season (purple) waiting to be used, I have two earn-a-buck tags for 2008 (in case I lose one I guess).

I didn't hang'em.

I guess it because they drag them frontward out of the woods (rope around the neck) and they're just inclined to use the same rope to tie them into the tree. And maybe because it keeps the bung-hole and such from from leaking/dripping back onto the critter if it rains or thaws.

I personally believe it because they're such good hunters and shooters that they couldn't afford all that much/many more rope and/or gambrels to hang them all.. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.