HBN question about “polishing”

odoylerules

I'm new to HBN coating and wanted to know how much polishing you guys recommended after you've applied it to your bullets.
Two pics: one is bullets just lightly rubbed around on a towel after application.
The other I took individual bullets and rubbed them with a towel until the bulk of the white was off. They feel way slicker with the majority of the HBN rubbed off.
0C5E662B-5315-41FA-94C9-D76E204E3076.jpeg
98DCC883-EE7A-4629-A9FE-BB60D5E107D4.jpeg

Load #2 and shoot. Be sure and start with a CLEAN barrel and starting loads. Do not shoot full power loads with a clean barrel. Very important. You will see very high pressures until the barrel is seasoned with the stuff. Any time you clean to bare metal you have to redo to season.

Load #2 and shoot. Be sure and start with a CLEAN barrel and starting loads. Do not shoot full power loads with a clean barrel. Very important. You will see very high pressures until the barrel is seasoned with the stuff. Any time you clean to bare metal you have to redo to season.
Do you not treat your bore with HBN? The kit I bought gave instructions to make a suspension of HBN and alcohol to swab the bore

Do you not treat your bore with HBN? The kit I bought gave instructions to make a suspension of HBN and alcohol to swab the bore
Tried that and still got high pressures. Maybe I did it wrong, But I know shooting a 5 shot group with a starting load works. Welcome to HBN, I will not hunt with a bullet not coated with the stuff in a long range rifle.

BTW, you will have to start over with your load work anyway if this is your first shot at it. You will see the benefit on the chrono and cold bore shots will go where they are supposed to.

BTW, you will have to start over with your load work anyway if this is your first shot at it. You will see the benefit on the chrono and cold bore shots will go where they are supposed to.
I started from scratch on the 300 Norma barrel I just got, my 260 and 223 I cleaned really, really well and plan to work up loads. I've got great loads for them that will hopefully shoot well again once I increase powder with the HBN bullets to get them to the previous velocities.

You may be able to find a higher node with coated bullets. Coating a bullet with HBN is just like changing to another bullet. Your power charge will change, Your oal MAY change too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.