Having Trouble with 200 gr ELD-X 300 RUM

300Ultra2016

Hello folks,

I recently get into rifle hunting. Unfortunately, I got a Remington 700 chambered in 300 rum. I realized the difficultly to get the ammo after I got the rifle. So a huge amount of time and money have been put into reloading 300 rum. However, I feel pretty happy about it because I was able to learn a lot of news stuffs from reloading.

The problem with the 200 gr ELD-X is that I cannot get a consistent group less than 5 MOA no matter how much powder I put in. I tried everything from 91GR to 86GR. I am currently using the H1000 powder.

Here are my question:

Since the 300 rum is a free-bore, does the bullet sitting depth still matter? The current overall length is set at 91.00 MM.

I just made some ammo with the maximum length, which is 91.44 mm, I will try them today or tomorrow.

If the changing the sitting depth does not help, should I try changing the powder? According to a document from Hornady official website, the recommend RL-25 and Retumbo. http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/reloading-manual-data/ReloadingData30Cal200grELD-X.pdf

Thank you very much for the help!

Sounds to me like you've got bigger problems than just bullets. Does it shoot any bullet well?

Yeah, that bullet should basically be a good match. But even if your rifle "doesn't like them" you shouldn't be seeing 5" groups. Your charge range also sounds about right.

Sounds like a "back to basics" time to me. Action screws properly torqued. Scope mounting is nice and tight. What scope are you using? A 300 RUM will likely need a pretty solid scope.

When was the last time you cleaned that barrel? And yeah (as Mr. brentc mentioned) does it shoot anything well?

edit: I'll add one more comment. I've had my rem 700 apart before and not properly reassembled, where the magazine insert was not properly seated. That made for a not so good day at the range (Ok, that may have happen to me a couple times. :)

I'd just load to factory OAL until you solve this other problem first.

Thanks a lot guys!

Yes, I did figured out one round that shoots alright. With 180 gr SST, 91 gr of H1000 powder, 4 rounds goes into less than 1 inch group, 1 out-liner drooped at 2 inches away.

I always clean the barrel every 60 rounds, I think the cleanses of the barrel should not be the problem.

I did took the stock out just to clean the gun. There is a possibility that I mess up something.

The other thing I can think of is that the stock is really soft. It seems like the position where the the gun rest on the sand bag is affecting the consistency here. I will put on an M40 stock and try.

I have a 300 RUM in Rem model 700. I will suggest you check the scope rings and mounts to be sure they are tight to specs. Also if you had the rifle out of the stock be sure
to torque the bolts 50-60 inch pounds. As far as your load it should shoot 200 grain bullets well.
Not sure what you clean your gun with but I use Barnes CR-10. This gun is very overbore and builds up copper very fast due to the heat on barrel. I clean my gun every 20-rounds thru barrel.

I have load developed using Retumbo and RL25. My gun likes RL25 and I would suggest you give it a try if it's available in your area.

My load is as follows:

Rem brass
Federal 215 mag primer
91.5 RL25
Nosler 200 AB, seated the length of magazine tongue

3100 fps, produces 1/2" 3-shot groups if I do my part

Don

I'm coming late to this discussion late but it seems to be the one I need. I have just started the process of using a Hornady tool to determine the best seating for a 200gr ELD-X in 30-06.
I have only reloaded 150gr SP prior to this at the Hornady specs.
After several days of learning how to gain consistency in measuring with the tools I have reached some conclusions but, I'm not sure where they take me.
1. I used four methods to determine the distance to the lands.
a. Measurement using 200gr ELDX with Hornady tools, including COL tool.
b. Measurement useing 150gr SP.
c. Measurement usuing 200gr ELDX reversed (boatail slant too ogive is steeper).
d. Measurement using a reversed 150 gr SP (flat base)after insuring the bullet was well seated against the lands.

First conclusion: measurement "a" using the ELDX is consistently .008 longer than b, c, and d. b,c , and d measurements agree consistently.

2. Seated both a 150 And a 200 ELDX using the same setting. I assumed the distance from the brass base to the "ring" left by the press would be identical. This is not the case. The 200 ELDX measures .003 longer.

Second conclusion: something about the shape of the 200 ELDX creates a condition where both the hornady press and the hornady C.O.L. Tool both engage the bullet, or the lands, sooner than expected.

I had assumed prior to this that one good measurement of the distance to the lands was enough because the lands had to engage point "a" on the bullet at point "b" on the lands on every bullet the same way reguardless of the shape of the bullet.

Third conclusion: I am certain that the "slant" to the ogive of the 200 ELDX bullet creates a point of intersection with the lands that, in my case, creates an almost .01 additional "jump" to the lands and that during this "jump" the bullet is probably not going to be actually engaged with the lands mechanically.

Fourth conclusion: hornady recommends a minimum .02 jump to the lands for hunting and adjustment closer to the lands for added accuracy. If I am correct, an initial round development using the 200 ELDX to measure the distance to the lands would result in a .03 accuracy destroying initial jump to the lands.

Fifth conclusion: if I develop the ELDX round using the distance to lands measurement made by any method other than using the ELDX bullet I create a condition where the Round is at, or near what should be a .02 jump to the lands but is, instead, already engaged, or almost engaged with the lands due to the shallow slant to ogive.

QUESTION 1: does this make sense?

QUESTION 2: how should I proceed?

QUESTION 3: could the inaccuracy identified by 300ultra2016 be attributed to either a long jump to the lands or excessive pressure due to insufficient jump?

Writing this has been a way to clarify my thoughts and I think I will send it on to Hornady. I am very interested in learning everyone's thoughts on my efforts to date. Thanks in advance.

I Reload everything from a 150gr, 165gr and 180gr. for my 300 RUM with either Retumbo or H4831sc
Great results with all loads from Min. - Max. Powder Charge
Shooting my Remington 700 Long Range, looking forward to trying the 200gr ELDX

What kind of stock does this rifle have? If it is one of those molded plastic stocks, When the rifle fore arm is laying on your shooting rest, Check to see if the barrel is still free floating.
I have replaced 2 of those on 700 Rem. rifles. They now wear H&S Precision Stocks.

Have you tried lighter bullets? I have went through many 700 Rem. rifles, Own 6 right now. It has been my experience with Remington rifles. They usually shoot lighter bullets for caliber better than heavier for caliber bullets. I have experienced this in 223 Rem., 270 Win., 308 Win. and 338 WM. Good luck in in this venture.

I have a 300 RUM in Rem model 700. I will suggest you check the scope rings and mounts to be sure they are tight to specs. Also if you had the rifle out of the stock be sure
to torque the bolts 50-60 inch pounds. As far as your load it should shoot 200 grain bullets well.
Not sure what you clean your gun with but I use Barnes CR-10. This gun is very overbore and builds up copper very fast due to the heat on barrel. I clean my gun every 20-rounds thru barrel.

I have load developed using Retumbo and RL25. My gun likes RL25 and I would suggest you give it a try if it's available in your area.

My load is as follows:

Rem brass
Federal 215 mag primer
91.5 RL25
Nosler 200 AB, seated the length of magazine tongue

3100 fps, produces 1/2" 3-shot groups if I do my part

Don
At how many yard are you shooting 1/2" groups?
Thanks
Scotty

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.