having an issue with a barrelmaker

Ridge Runner

I purchased a uspmo on 4/25/2011, sent in the order shortly afterwards, I recieved a voicemail informing me that they couldn't make the 33" barrel I ordered that 31" was as long as they could make it. I tried to return the call, no answer, then sent an email confirming that 31" would be ok. august 21 I emailed about the status of my barrel, they ask when I ordered it. I explained best I could when where and how, now they will not return my emails, nor will they answer the phone, any suggestions how to get this straightened out?
Thanks
RR

I purchased a uspmo on 4/25/2011, sent in the order shortly afterwards, I recieved a voicemail informing me that they couldn't make the 33" barrel I ordered that 31" was as long as they could make it. I tried to return the call, no answer, then sent an email confirming that 31" would be ok. august 21 I emailed about the status of my barrel, they ask when I ordered it. I explained best I could when where and how, now they will not return my emails, nor will they answer the phone, any suggestions how to get this straightened out?
Thanks
RR

Who is the barrel maker?

I would take and gather all your copies of the information you have on hand, emails, copy of order form etc. You can track the MO and also document that information on when it was cashed and maybe by whom. I would then make a copy package and send it in a flat rate envelope with signature confirmation not just delivery confirmation. I would include some kind words to make them see that they have overlooked your order. If that does not work then it may be a write-off unless you would like to take legal action.

Jon

would rather not bring up the name of the maker till I get to talk to them, however it is a well known company.
You can track money orders?ok, I'll look into that, thanks
RR

If you have already sent them a down payment and have proof that they recieved and cashed the check/ mo then contact the sheriff`s department for the barrel makers county. They are alway`s willing to help.

I would send them a registered letter with the information of the transaction inside and ask
them to please contact you.

If they do not respond, then take off the gloves and let them know that you will let as many
people in the shooting world that you can know how they do business.

After all 1 aw $#!T cancels many Atta Boys and there business could be hurt.

Keep in mind though that it may not be the company way of doing things just
some disgruntled or brain dead employ

And if they do not bend over backwards to satisfy you I would never use them again.

J E CUSTOM

I'm pretty sure that every major barrel mfg has a receptionist answering the phone some percentage of the time during regular business hours.

If not, they need to be named and "reamed" for that alone. (pardon the pun)

-- richard

Thanks
RR

I've seen photos of 34" long barrels from Dan Lilja in 30 caliber if that matters much. The problem with deep hole drilling is not in the machine, but in the tooling. Gun drills are not cheap (even though they look cheap), and after about 28" things start to stack up fast. Most folks do not understand the task involved in deep hole drilling, and I doubt the clerk that answered the phone is upto speed on these issues. I've had 42" ones done in the past, (not a gun barrel) and the scrap rate is a killer alone (just takes one chip to screw everything up). I can see their reluctence to do much of anything longer than 31" as I've learned the hard way.
gary

Not trying to defend or offend anyone here, but, might be you're dealing with a company that's so overwhelmed with e-mails they don't even try to reply (I know of some that no longer publish an e-mail address,,, just a phone number). Hire someone to do that, you say? Do you want the price to go up so that company can pay that person who's time is well wasted at least 50% of the time answering questions already answered on their web site, the other half of their time spent on stuff that is relevant. I know of one barrel maker, when you call, you might be asked to leave a phone number on voice mail so they can call you back. Their phone lines are all tied up. If you're not able or there to take their return call, they move on to the next one. Telephone calls,,,,,, not e-mails. Don't blame them if you can't take their return call. 6 months is a long wait,,,,,, some really are that far behind! Might be they're having to wait on tooling. When ever I order a barrel I get a price, lead time, and invoice number to start with, not as an after thought (and I've ordered well over thirty this year).

well I got an email reply, not sure I believe all of it but they are working on my barrel. so long as I get it its cool.
Shortgrass, though I don't order the volume you do, this ain't my first rodeo, I'm well versed in business and ordering a barrel.
RR

Not trying to defend or offend anyone here, but, might be you're dealing with a company that's so overwhelmed with e-mails they don't even try to reply (I know of some that no longer publish an e-mail address,,, just a phone number). Hire someone to do that, you say? Do you want the price to go up so that company can pay that person who's time is well wasted at least 50% of the time answering questions already answered on their web site, the other half of their time spent on stuff that is relevant. I know of one barrel maker, when you call, you might be asked to leave a phone number on voice mail so they can call you back. Their phone lines are all tied up. If you're not able or there to take their return call, they move on to the next one. Telephone calls,,,,,, not e-mails. Don't blame them if you can't take their return call. 6 months is a long wait,,,,,, some really are that far behind! Might be they're having to wait on tooling. When ever I order a barrel I get a price, lead time, and invoice number to start with, not as an after thought (and I've ordered well over thirty this year).

excellent post sir! Many of us fail to realize that lost time is also lost money. I you spend three hours a day on the phone or answering email; you'll soon find your not getting much done. And after awhile they'll flat drive you nuts!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.