Has the 6.5prc peaked in interested?

I don't think it's peaked, however if more big gun manufacturers(besides Savage) would offer an affordable sporter weight rifle(Tikka, Ruger, Weatherby, Browning, Remington, etc.., it'd takeoff. For now, you can only buy heavy, expensive long range guns in the PRC from the bigs. Quite honestly, if Ruger would offer the PRC in an American and or Tikka in the T-3, I think PRC sales and popularity would explode. I'd buy either in a heartbeat. The Sauer and Mauser offerings are interesting, especially at their price point, but they're not sold at enough big box stores to have an impact on popularity, imo.

Took awhile for the 6.5 Creed to takeoff so I'm not giving up on the PRC. That being said, if Weatherby chambers their new 6.5 RPM in the Vanguard before the others bigs offer a PRC option, I'm jumping on the Vanguard.

Last edited:
id take a couple 6.5 prc in a tikka or predator or a kimber montana today if the factories would make them, and i could sell more of them,

I think once there gets to be a bit more of a track record on it the PRC will have a bit of surge yet to come. I started with it just because that's what I do, but it has really been a surprise. I didn't care for the 6.5WSM. I like the 264WM, but it is standard with a 9 twist and is on the long action. The .260 (my favorite) really lugs with bullets over 130 grains. The PRC does just about exactly what the Win Mag does in a handier rifle with a shorter throw. It has also proven to be very accurate in my rifle which helps sway me to it, but the velocity is legit. It has become the ideal hunting cartridge for me with that substantial extra I wish I could squeeze from the .260. I am guessing in 2021 Lapua announces they will make cases.

Last edited:
I saw where the Tikka 3X is no longer available in the 260 but is and has been in 6.5CM. If they did come out with the PRC I might be persuaded to change my mind.

Just double checked and see the 260 is still available just not in all options. Didn't see that the other day.

Last edited:
I don't want to start a war on cartridges i.e. I don't need to hear why a 6.5 prc when xyz cartridge already exists. The reason why is there really is not a high velocity (magnum) 6.5 round which is super popular where ammo is readily available at stores. I am just curious if the 6.5 prc has already peaked in interest? I have become a fan of 6.5 caliber sized bullets for deer hunting. Smaller bullets for less recoil but still enough oomph(when properly selecting bullets) to take down large whitetails. I have been back and forth on getting a 6.5 prc. I know it does not really offer much more than already existing cartridges in performance but I was hoping Hornady was going to pull off another 6.5cm popular round because then ammo types and availability goes up. I wanted a flatter shooting version of a 6.5cm and it seemed like the 6.5 prc was going to be it. So what are your thoughts? Do you think the 6.5 prc has already peaked in interest or do you think it still has a chance to keep climbing?
I waffled back and forth as well. I finally took the plunge last week and bought a 6.5 PRC. More and more rifles being made and I spoke to a federal rep who said they have plans to roll out some 6.5 prc ammo. I think it is going to be what the 6.5x284 could have been with better commercial support.

From what Im seeing the 6.5 PRC still gaining in popularity as its an ideal cartridge for hunting and long range target shooting, actually not to get off topic but both the PRC cartridges are very popular and growing,

A gunsmith I know has had a steady stream of requests for their existing rifles rechambered to 300 PRC and even more rebarreled to 6.5 PRC or new builds

If a guy was going to keep just 2 rifles I would go 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC......but 2 rifles is just silly talk !

As others have said if the mainstream companies chamber their rifles in 6.5 PRC it would sell like hotcakes !

143 eldx thru the chrono.
Went back and looked at Hornadys website they were using a 24 inch barrel and advertising 2960 for this bullet.
I am using a 24 incher as well.
With this project,I am able to seat further out and at current load, 90 fps over factory 143,(140 fps faster than factory 147) with a slightly heavier bullet(150 grain) ,and have room for more powder if desired.
Perfect deer round? Way too many great cartridges to pick just one.

My 6.5-06 has been giving PRC performance for years using inexpensive brass . There is the 6.5 Rem mag which beats the 6.5-06, 6.5PRC & the 6.5-284. They all have virtually the same powder capacity except the 6.5 Rem mag which holds slightly more. I have been using 6.5's from 6.5-08 wildcat to 264mag take deer & elk for decades.Never had a problem. With the proper bullet the 6.5 is very capable of taking heavy game . Those who have studied past hunters who used various 6.5 understand this. From what I've seen the PRC has hit it's peak. So those who want PRC performance at a reasonable price pick up a used rifle with long standard action & re-barrel. Simple.

I'd bet the PRC is just getting started. I meet lots of guys who are so excited about their 6.5CM, they cant help themselves from informing me how much better than a. 308 it is. Even the military is converting, haven't you heard? :D

It's hard to imagine, but with the right ammo and marketing I'm sure there are many consumers who would love a factory round that 'bests' a 7mm Rem Mag, in a short action with less recoil.

6.5 is the 'new' hot thing, too bad Weatherby wants a piece of the pie with the 6.5RPM... or is it?

As far as the hype goes, age of the 6.5 is just beginning!

Success and longevity of a cartridge seems to first be driven by marketing. As an example the poor success is the SAUM line of cartridges introduced by Remington with very poor marketing but those in the know covet their SAUMs. Look at the super success of the WSM cartridges. Great marketing.

Another HUGE marketing failure was the 260 Remington. It should have been so solidly entrenched as the most practical cartridge for the American target shooter out to 1000 yards and as a nearly perfect medium to large game hunting cartridge that it could have never been unseated but it's yet another example of the idiots at Remington and their lack of marketing savvy.

Hornady has done a GREAT job of marketing the 6.5 Creed and a good job of marketing the 6.5 PRC. Also they've made sure ammo was inexpensive and readily available.

Both cartridges are imminently useful as well for both target shooting and hunting because they can take advantage of the great BC of the 6.5 bullets and their low recoil, great barrel life and usefulness for medium to large game which is closest to the American hunter's heart.

It's going to be a very difficult act to follow if someone wants to match the success of the 6.5 offerings Hornady has introduced. Where do we go from here? I honestly don't think they're the next big thing but simply the most practical and useful cartridges around and I'm only surprised that nobody did this years ago. The people that predicted that the 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC would soon be replaced by "the next big thing" have been proven wrong and by the way... I was one of them. LOL

So after all that bla bla bla... I'd say the 6.5 PRC will live a very long and successful life and may not peak for several years and will still survive to be a long time favorite.

That is the beauty of the PRC, it is a true short action. It is what the 6.5 Rem would be if not released by the big green idiot.
It seems like I see many customs being built on long actions, assuming to take advantage of cartridge capacity? I believe the original cartridge was designed to fit prs parameters and hand loaders are finding its capable of well exceeding those.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.