Hart barrels?

Not all 416R is the same. Rockwell hardness is different from one manufacter to another same with composition.

Whoever is gonna do your Smith work talk to him about what barrel he likes.
Your gonna get alot of opinions, a good barrel is a good barrel and for a hunting situation I doudt many of us could shoot the difference including me.
I have a Hart barrel. I am sure the barrel is better than the shooter.

Not all 416R is the same. Rockwell hardness is different from one manufacter to another same with composition.
So are you saying Hart uses a composition and heat treating process that makes their barrels tougher?

Seems like they should tout this. They are surely aware of the contour limitations of Krieger and Bartlein.

No I'm not saying that at all,I dont know who's 416R they use. I'm just saying not all 416R is the same.
Just because you buy 416R SS and start making barrels doesnt mean it's the best steel just because its 416R SS

So are you saying Hart uses a composition and heat treating process that makes their barrels tougher?

Seems like they should tout this. They are surely aware of the contour limitations of Krieger and Bartlein.

The difference is in the stress relieve. Krieger uses cut rifling and does not require a second stress relieving. The barrel makers that use the button process (Like Hart and Lilja) have to do a second stress relieve
because buttoning adds stress to the barrel because it is a form of forging.

The downside to cut rifling in my opinion is that the barrel maker has to depend on the steel manufacture to do a correct stress relieve. A second stress relieve assures a good stress relieve.

J E what caliber was that barrel you put 23,000 rounds through?

It was and still is a Hart. The rifle is a 40x Ranger Master in 308 Winchester from the Remington Custom Shop. When Remington came out with the 7 rem mag, they had throat erosion issues and tried there hand at building stainless barrels and had no luck so they bought stainless barrels from Hart for a long time because they had it wired. there are many Hart barreled Remington's still out there.

Winchester had the same problem with their 264 Win Mag but I don't know if they solved it or not.

308,s are not known to be barrel burners, But that Is a lot of rounds for any cartridge.

J E CUSTOM

morning, Karen and her master gunsmith husband run hart barrels.
call hart barrels, talk to Karen, her husband is not busy
ask him for info. tell Karen what u want, ask her for info. she
is very knowledgeable about barrels and twist. I own
6 rifles with hart barrels. u will not b disappointed.
her husband does custom rifle smithing. justme gbot tum
I agree Karen and her husband are great people to work with. I don't think you could go wrong with any of there barrels.

morning, Karen and her master gunsmith husband run hart barrels.
call hart barrels, talk to Karen, her husband is not busy
ask him for info. tell Karen what u want, ask her for info. she
is very knowledgeable about barrels and twist. I own
6 rifles with hart barrels. u will not b disappointed.
her husband does custom rifle smithing. justme gbot tum
Some of the friendliest people you will ever do bussiness with a lot of business people act like it pains them to talk about your build but this man and woman puts their all in helping their customers actually done more work than expected all for same price you don't get that often any more. David

Hart are awesome. Best customer service, best turn around, they flat just shoot. I just wish they would do some of the bigger stuff in the twists that these new bigger bullets require. But in everything under 375 they are my first choice period.

I bought a used Winchester model 70 in 308win. The older gent that I bought it from retired from Leupold and it was their test bed. On the barrel it says...
ROBERT W. HART & SON
NOSCOPECK PA
308 WIN. .340 NECK
Is this a Hart barrel or something different? It shoots incredibly well.
Thanks!