Harmonics and temperature?

degreen

I have read most of the posts on LRH concerning ballistics, but one thing I haven't seen a lot on is how temperature affects barrel harmonics. If I understand things correctly as temperature changes then bullet velocity through the barrel also changes, which in turn changes barrel harmonics. Also wouldn't temperature affect the barrel as well due to contraction in cooler temp's and expansion in warmer temp's? I have been thinking about this for a little while, because during the different hunting seasons temperatures change.
Where I hunt, it can be 60+ degrees during antelope season, and 20- degrees during elk season not to mention the change in temp going from 5000 feet to 8000 feet altitude. If I use the same rifle for all of my big game hunting (which I don't), but just saying. The only real way around this problem from where I sit is to have multiple loads for different temp's. This would mean burning a barrel just doing load development for the temp changes.

The metal properties in barrels don't significantly enough to change its resonant vibration low frequency and the several harmonic higher frequencies across most temperatures they're shot in.

The zeros will change a lot more with altitude and powder temperature changes. Get zeros for each.

A good barrel won't change point of impact across 30 to 40 shots fired every 15 seconds and it gets very hot by the last shot

I don't think it'll be enough to matter. Most likely be masked by other things such as air temperature and atmospheric pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.