Happy customer shoots nice buck after I fixed his TAC 15i - pic

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
Tim was frustrated that his TAC 15i wasn't grouping very well. I suggested he send it into me to work on it. I ended up replacing his rubber string stops which had deteriorated to the point where I didn't think he was getting a consistent release. Then I paper tuned it and sent it back.

Tim sent these 2 emails a few days apart:

Hi Andy. Received my bow back today and WOW!!! That's the best it has ever shot!!! Thank you sooo much for your help. I actually think I'll keep it, its shooting that well. Thanks again. Tim

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!! Worked flawlessly!!!! Need to find a durable broadhead that shoots well though. Wasp Jackhammer SST expandable shoots good but blew all the blades off it when it exited thru his off shoulder. 35 yds. Thanks again for all your help!!! Tim

Tim-buck.jpg

Please tell Tim to do himself a favor. Buy and use Muzzy plain jane 3 blade 100 gr broadheads. Pitch the expandables. Thank me later.

What is this bias against expandables?

That Wasp Jakhammer is a great head. Hunted with it years ago.

I've killed somewhere between 150 and 200 deer with Rocket Steelhead mechanicals in either standard 100gr or XL 100gr flavors. As far as I can tell I have never had a broadhead failure.

These broadheads perform very well with the Tac15 and shoot right with field points out to 60 yards.

Penetration is excellent. Never had an arrow stay in a deer if shot broadside with the Tac. With my vertical bow (62 ft-lb KE) I get more than 90% pass-throughs.

Last year with the Tac15 I got 27-inches of penetration on a large buck end-on. Short him through the neck from the front... the arrow penetrated 16 inches of heavy neck muscle and gristle, broke a rib going into the chest, and penetrated another 11 inches into the chest to cut arteries over the heart. Dead deer.

The argument against expandables is valid for trad shooters, or kids or women shooting low poundage bows with KE under 40 ft-lb. The Tac15 has over 150 ft-lb of KE. On broadside shots the arrow will blow through the deer and still be traveling over 250 fps when it exits.

What is this bias against expandables?
None from me from my experience. But this is what prompted my response:

Need to find a durable broadhead that shoots well though. Wasp Jackhammer SST expandable shoots good but blew all the blades off it when it exited thru his off shoulder

I've used Vortex, Rocket, NAP. All worked great. But I've heard several hunters with crossbows complain about expandables, so I recommend the muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. Works every time in my experience and I've gone back to using only those for all of my archery. They fly true in a well tuned bow and have never failed me, and I buy a lot of them CHEAP after bow season is over at the local Meijer grocery store.....like $15 for a 6 pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.