Hammock vs tent camping

Timnterra

I've been thinking about making the switch to hammock camping instead of tent camping for backpacking and backpack hunting. But the cold weather is where I'm wondering if it would be a bad decision. I've never spent the night in a hammock before but I like the idea of being off the ground and being able to stand up and get dressed under a tarp. I also like the weight saving of no poles. I think that combining an under quilt and an over quilt could possibly be warmer than a sleeping bag on the ground since the ground probably transmits heat faster than air (as long as the wind is reasonable). It also seems like a hammock would provide a place to sit and put on boots instead of sitting on the ground.
Those of you who are versed in hammock camping chime in and let me know what you think. And what kinds of things I should take into account.

I've done some hammock trips, not the hiking and hunting kind. I took a trip across country in a Toyota pickup many years ago. My buddy normally set up a tent and I'd hang my hammock. in the Big Horn mountains, I woke up to several moose in the stream. We were able to get within about 40 yards before they spooked. Another night spent on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
my tips are

put a rain tarp over top of the hammock

i always planted a hatchet in the tree at my head.

I only did a hammock once, didn't find it as comfortable as I usually sleep on my side or front, besides that it was cool out and my backside got chilly. Seems like you have. plan to combat that aspect though. This spring I will try sleeping bag on a tarp and if it rains then the tarp goes over a parador just above me to make basically just a one man tent. the parador will also support bug netting if needed.

The hammock is a game changer. I prefer it over my tent hands down. I still use my tent but only if there aren't any trees. The best part is it is way easier in the terrain I hunt to find two trees the right spacing than it is to find a flat spot to setup a tent.

It would not be feasible for CO, because of the weather alone. The early hunts can have very heavy late Aug or early Sept rains that border on snow. The late hunts have the snows.

I had an archery sheep tag in central CO in 2019. I was there for a month and spent 14 nights in my hammock. We had rain and snow. When setup properly it works great. My hammock is fully enclosed with an integral rain fly, it works great for quick easy setup and is light. My buddy runs a hammock with a large rain fly tarp. His takes more setting up but once setup you have tons of room for storing gear and staying out of the elements.

Hammock can be good, but you definitely need an under-quilt at elevation or colder seasons. Dropping the hammock closer to the ground, adding a rainfly, and using an under-quilt makes it doable, but not always comfortable.

Ive heard the cold is your biggest issue. You need some really good insulation to keep warm as you're off the ground and exposed.
Absolutely. I have had a few miserable nights using just an insulated pad without some sort of under-quilt. You can partially negate not having one if you can get your rain fly close enough to the ground to keep air movement under you at a minimum

The hammock is a game changer. I prefer it over my tent hands down. I still use my tent but only if there aren't any trees. The best part is it is way easier in the terrain I hunt to find two trees the right spacing than it is to find a flat spot to setup a tent.

My thoughts exactly, in a mountainous forested area it would be much easier to find two trees that are spaced right back a flat spot.

Hammocks make my knees hurt, almost like my knees are being hyper extended while I lay in it. Maybe it's the way I set it up or how I lay in it, but I couldn't lay in one all night that is for sure. I do see how they would be nice once you got your set-up dialed in.

I had the same fear, knee and or back pain from the pressure placed on my feet and neck. However, I have been watching videos on hammock camping and it seems like to be comfortable in a hammock you need to lay diagonally instead of in line with the ropes. I'm going to give this a try and spend a night or two hanging under the kids swing set in my backyard before I make the commitment to go on a backpacking trip with just a hammock.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts