Hammer Forged Barrels.

BRIT

Hi Gents.
Are Hammer Forged Barrels Stress relieved? If not, is this purely down to cost cutting or are Hammer Forged Barrels impossible to Stress Relieve?
Many thanks.

Brit.

Brit, I have a rifle purchased new with a hammer forged barrel. The next day I took it to be cryogenic treated. There are many fans and many that think its a waste of time, but for $55 I figured WTH. The rifle is easy to clean, shoots under an inch at 200 yds.

Hi Lads.
Thank you for the replies.
We have a barrel maker who has started to produce hammer forged barrels using the old parker hale tools. They are priced around the same as a Button rifled barrel. I cant see the point in the hammer forged one if you cant remove the stresses, you may as well have the Button one. Does this make sense?

Brit.

The new Ruger American uses hammer forged barrels with great success. On the other end of the price spectrum Steyr and SAKO also use the process and nobody questions their accuracy.

Personally I think all three companies are using very advanced CNC machines to attain the needed tolerances. But old Parker Hale machines for good accuracy? Maybe not...

There is a lot of misinformation floating around about stress in hammer forged barrels...

Having owned 3 (and still own 2) hammer forged barrels by FN (on new model 70's)...I believe I can say this with a degree of certainty....for the purpose of hunting, even long range hunting, a hammer forged barrel can be PLENTY accurate and consistent enough to do the job...that is, 3-5 rounds hitting point of aim, in rapid succession...if needed (hopefully not needed)

There are some sources that say a hammer forged barrel is stress relieved during the hammer forging...they come out of that machine HOT, and the stress is relieved through that.

Makes sense to me...all I know is that the ones I've shot are as accurate and consistent as any of the customs I've owned (2 Shilens).

That said...you can get a turd from any of them, I've seen more than one person upset with their new Kreiger, Hart, Shilen, etc.

Edited to add: I speak only for new Winchester (FN) and Savage barrels here...you couldn't run fast enough to give me a Remington barrel, people say their barrels are hammer forged these days but I'm not sure...I don't see how a hammer forged barrel could still be that rough inside.

Ruger's American series hammer forged barrels seem to be producing very good accuracy in many calibers.

I'm betting that when I take delivery on my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that it will deliver good accuracy. I'll try it first and if so I'll go ahead and fire lap it to smooth the lands.