Hammer bullets barrel life

I don't expect anyone to read all this but you could just look at the types of animals they are trying to handle or eliminate in Australia. It's quite a mess they are having to deal with. I didn't understand the context of what Fordy and a few others knew.

There has been quite a bit of communication, pictures, videos, phone calls, and messaging. It hasn't necessarily appeared here, as others have commented its not always the most open place for discussion.

Additionally, some keep such things to themselves or small circle to not become an internet spectacle. This tends to happen with species such as giraffe, and lion.

Can you imagine if BLM decided to arm helicopters to deal with horses?

As to the original question I doubt Hammers will give you more rounds per barrel. I'm on the side of replacing barrels isn't a big deal.

There has been quite a bit of communication, pictures, videos, phone calls, and messaging. It hasn't necessarily appeared here, as others have commented its not always the most open place for discussion.

Additionally, some keep such things to themselves or small circle to not become an internet spectacle. This tends to happen with species such as giraffe, and lion.

As to the original question I doubt Hammers will give you more rounds per barrel. I'm on the side of replacing barrels isn't a big deal.
I'm thinking with less drag and friction ,with the narrow, tapered drive bands of the Hammer bullet, that allows more velocity it would be easier on the bore . I get very little next too no copper fouling . I would think for anyone that would say either way they get get less rounds or more rounds in a barrel using any bullet would be pure speculation without actually doing the experiment. Heat is the biggest factor.

Didnt read all the replys but this whole barrel ife thing is WAY over talked about. New barrel installed is 5-700 bucks. Even if it only took 1000 rounds to wear out the barrel, the ammo alone is $2,000 and shooting Hammers it would be more than that, plus another $2,000 in expenses getting to the range, care of gun etc.

Doubling the barrel life to 2000 rounds isn't saving you much, maybe 350 bucks at the most. I suggest you quit worrying about the cost of barrels, because if that is a thing, the cost of shooting is probably out of reach as well.
I'd like to know what barrels you are buying and what gunsmith you are using to install them for that kind of money. That's about half of what I see most getting it done for.

I remember the outcry back in the sixties and seventies when they had to start taking drastic measures to control the roos and wallabies.

I'd like to know what barrels you are buying and what gunsmith you are using to install them for that kind of money. That's about half of what I see most getting it done for.
My last barrel I bought 1.5 years ago was a Bartlein. Sent it to be crowned and chambered. $750, but I did install it myself.

I remember the outcry back in the sixties and seventies when they had to start taking drastic measures to control the roos and wallabies.
The women in that neighborhood I mentioned showed up to protest TPWD live netting, and went ballistic when they found out their pet deer were being killed and fed to low income people. Thought they were being 'relocated,' which was bad enough. These people are feeding deer on their porches and claim they are their pets... they aren't taking the **** things to the vet, though.

The women in that neighborhood I mentioned showed up to protest TPWD live netting, and went ballistic when they found out their pet deer were being killed and fed to low income people. Thought they were being 'relocated,' which was bad enough. These people are feeding deer on their porches and claim they are their pets... they aren't taking the **** things to the vet, though.
When I was working on my wildlife coursework in college we'd had quite a few classes on how quickly deer overpopulate and the damage they can do when they do so.

There were some really thorough studies on a small suburban park in PA, about 140 acres or so where they'd gotten so bad the park was all but completely denuded and something like 20 threatened or endangered species of plants had been utterly wiped out.

Trapping and relocation had been the rule there for more than a decade and if I remember right the cost to move just one deer was over 10k. Finally they opened park to special hunting by permit with DP&W or Parks service personnel "guiding" bow hunters to shoot what was essentially a tame herd to cull it down.

The hue and cry from the locals was an absolute din but it had to be done because they were destroying the park and it saved them millions of dollars.

Gday

Nice link bobwright & thanks for shedding a bit of light on what a mess Aussie is & conservation is something that concerns a lot of hunters over here

I've been meaning to come back earlier on the following comment but time poor sorry

The question was asked about why use such a expensive bullet on culls
I think I need to shed a little light on this also

First off we are not as lucky as you guys as our prices are way more than you lot pay eg 30 cal 150 gr pills on a quick search including postage to me
Barnes $1.95/2-55 tsx&ttsx
Eld $1.20/1.45
Accubond $2.30/2.50
Hammer $2.15/2-40 (exchange rate variations @ present is so hard to work out )
Oep ( Aussie bullet ) $1-98

So to me hammers arnt the most expensive & exchange rate was way better than it is @ present when I was smacking a lot more critters personally
But the more critical part to me is unless you get numbers a one off shot & dead critter is not as valuable information as repeatable results & I'm lucky that I can replicate shot placement a,b,c etc on x velocity impact time after time

Now I'll take that a step further & while I like seeing broadside results it's not one I strive for anymore as I have limited numbers ( still pretty substantial Id think ) to what I use to shoot & I choose to shoot @ the angles we encounter in the field under less than ideal circumstances wether that being me replicating a animal moves on the squeeze of the trigger or is quartered more than we think it's way better data imo as this is when things go wrong with a less than ideal pill design & a lost animal under these situations is where it happens more often than not as a good hit in the vitals from nearly all pills will put the animal down in a short space of time

Now also I like to test on small critters as it shows more than some realise as if you hit these small critters with very little resistance & take notice of the opening of the pill you will basically cover in the future of a pencilling like effect of the pill on say a deer or like happening
I note that mark is starting to show this on his information with his apex afterburner pills ( I hope it was him if not accept my apology ) & like the way he is showing these well done sir I hope I rubbed off on this process if not well done anyway ( open them up would be a better visual again )
Yes those pills are working well in their velocity windows

My aim when I get a new pill is to go out & "kill it " or fail it & nearly everything I've used I can find out pretty quickly then replicate that again some true solids & hammers being the exception ( but I've found lines with some hammers but man I can't get it to fail & I've tried extremely hard ) & what I've learnt these days I've had to reign my speeds in quite a bit so that people can relate more with the data not dismiss but overall take my data as one wishes I just relay what I shoot ( although not a lot here personally)
Sorry to waffle on hope that clears up a bit from this side of the ditch
Cheers

Gday JB

Thanks fordy. from the time I started reading this post in 24 hrs. its added 7 pages. I wanted to suggest to op maybe shoot you an email for more info. calling you out without ever talking to you {or anyone for that matter} was wrong . Thanks for what you share! I have had good conversations with you. look forward to more.

Agree thanks for the conversations I look forward to many more
Cheers sir

When I was working on my wildlife coursework in college we'd had quite a few classes on how quickly deer overpopulate and the damage they can do when they do so.

There were some really thorough studies on a small suburban park in PA, about 140 acres or so where they'd gotten so bad the park was all but completely denuded and something like 20 threatened or endangered species of plants had been utterly wiped out.

Trapping and relocation had been the rule there for more than a decade and if I remember right the cost to move just one deer was over 10k. Finally they opened park to special hunting by permit with DP&W or Parks service personnel "guiding" bow hunters to shoot what was essentially a tame herd to cull it down.

The hue and cry from the locals was an absolute din but it had to be done because they were destroying the park and it saved them millions of dollars.
Sounds like they could have benefitted from a wolf introduction. 😇

Hmm, the reason I was following this thread was for a specific reason not just hammers which is on my list of have to try bullets. As for as the monolithic and copper jacketed bullets is it wear or is it copper fouling that is the most problematic issue on your barrel accuracy, barrel life? Most folks here shoot a lot more than I do, it is always good to get an opinion. Albeit everything I use is copper jacketed or mono bullet. I am of the opinion that both bullet types will wear a barrel similar fashion. The reason for my question is having taken days to clean a heavily copper fouled barrel, which brought accuracy back to acceptable, I was just looking for a rough rule of when I should budget for a rebarrel of a rifle. Three magnums rifles loaded hot, 4 non magnum rifles. Thanks, James