Hammer ballistic coefficient tests...

I appreciate your time and effort (lots of work went into this) in putting the data together, but I do not want to misconstrue the data you share. If I understand correctly, you took the ratio of the actual measured BC and the quoted BC. Did you mean to present it as a ratio between the two BC numbers?...

I did intend to show it as a ratio, but very much appreciate your effort to also present it as the relative difference. Either method may be more or less helpful depending on how one prefers to digest the data. Apologies that my language wasn't clear.

@entoptics
How many rounds were fired to obtain the values for your results? I don't recall seeing an 'n' value...

...Have you ever considered doing the test with MVs which vary significantly, I.e full power vs reduced loads, and measured the difference in BC?
The N for the Hammer bullets was between 5 and 9 (first load testing, done only in the last few weeks).

For most of the others, N is from 10-80. I have indeed noticed significant variation in measurements from bullet to bullet, and from outing to outing, but it's usually on the order of no more than ± 2% relative (see chart below for examples). I'd consider this "within error" for the LabRadar/Kestrel setup.

I've never intentionally tried to measure a range of velocities, but have some data for the same bullet in say a 30-06 and a 300 WM, and haven't noticed a huge difference. That said, I've not "crunched the numbers". I intend to try the remaining 284 Hammers/SBDII in my 7 Rem Mag, so I'll collect some data there and publish it here eventually.

...Also - weather data should be listed and it would come into play. Altitude, air density/himidity/ baro pressure
, temp, wind and direction, etc so we have weather variables along side your speed/bc data...

...Some people might take the title and data the wrong way as your title says "hammer BC tests"--- yet you tested 4 brands of bullets not just hammers--- just my 2 cents but a less biased title might have been " lab radar bullet bc testing"
Weather was 74.9° to 61.5°, station pressure from 27.514 - 27.523 inHg, and humidity was 30.2% - 42.85%. Readings were taken every 15 minutes or so, and the nearest time to the shot was used for the B.C. calculator input.

In my experience, the calculated B.C. doesn't change much in different weather conditions. After all, that's it's entire purpose. Here's a chart of T vs BC from rifles with enough data over a long period of time to show variation (there isn't much if any).

Temp vs BC.png

The title was chosen because that is the new data here for me, and the unusual results for the Hammer bullets are noteworthy. I only showed the other bullets because the Hammer numbers were so startling. I wanted to ensure that readers could see that other bullets came in reasonably close to their manufacturers stated values, to help validate the testing of the Hammers.

I did intend to show it as a ratio, but very much appreciate your effort to also present it as the relative difference. Either method may be more or less helpful depending on how one prefers to digest the data. Apologies that my language wasn't clear.

The N for the Hammer bullets was between 5 and 9 (first load testing, done only in the last few weeks).

For most of the others, N is from 10-80. I have indeed noticed significant variation in measurements from bullet to bullet, and from outing to outing, but it's usually on the order of no more than ± 2% relative (see chart below for examples). I'd consider this "within error" for the LabRadar/Kestrel setup.

I've never intentionally tried to measure a range of velocities, but have some data for the same bullet in say a 30-06 and a 300 WM, and haven't noticed a huge difference. That said, I've not "crunched the numbers". I intend to try the remaining 284 Hammers/SBDII in my 7 Rem Mag, so I'll collect some data there and publish it here eventually.

Weather was 74.9° to 61.5°, station pressure from 27.514 - 27.523 inHg, and humidity was 30.2% - 42.85%. Readings were taken every 15 minutes or so, and the nearest time to the shot was used for the B.C. calculator input.

In my experience, the calculated B.C. doesn't change much in different weather conditions. After all, that's it's entire purpose. Here's a chart of T vs BC from rifles with enough data over a long period of time to show variation (there isn't much if any).

View attachment 392176

The title was chosen because that is the new data here for me, and the unusual results for the Hammer bullets are noteworthy. I only showed the other bullets because the Hammer numbers were so startling. I wanted to ensure that readers could see that other bullets came in reasonably close to their manufacturers stated values, to help validate the testing of the Hammers.
Nice work, and thanks for posting it. The info provided is definitely interesting to say the least, and not surprising to me.

Good stuff. Fits better than 90% are encouraging.

As I mentioned, I will stick to H 4DOF calculation & self-verification. Enough bullets in their list for my purposes. If I can get a 90% or better fit using my low budget Magneto speed at 300 yards the indications are that it will be close enough at 500 plus for easy tuning.

The exception I take from this work is the Hammer BC is not calculated from an instrument such as a LabRadar but from their OWN field shot drops. I have taken any BC provided from shot drops as a suggestion more than an absolute.

As you mentioned, every rifle will be different as well as the altitude tested. It is up to EVERY shooter verify their own load and not rely upon a posted BC. I don't disagree that a bullet manufacturer should have a LabRadar for basic BC calculations but others like Hammer calculate from shot drops.

Even Cutting Edge who started in 2001, uses shot drops but are now switching over to Oehler so this is not an uncommon tactic to use for a bullet. So CE started in 2001, 14 years before Hammer are slowly converting over to newer technology.

Cutting Edge Bullets Website:
"At this point the Ballistic Coefficients of our bullets are not exact but are not exaggerated. We arrived at the stated BC's by using muzzle velocity and actual bullet drops at various ranges and calculated them using Oehler's Ballistic Explorer 6.2.0 software. We do realize this is not precise but anyone that has shot long distances will see the difference in drop when compared to the bullets you are currently shooting. As we move forward we plan to get more precise BC's by using an Oehler 43 or Oehler 83 chronograph with acoustic targets set at yardages out to 800 yards. The yardages will be certified and the ballistic coefficients will be very accurate. Eventually, to get even more accurate, we will have data obtained by using Doppler Radar and post it as well."

I appreciate the work but I see it comparing large long standing bullet manufacturers that have had greater resources for longer period of time to a bullet company that has been really producing bullets 6 years or so which is apples to oranges at best. Sure there are improvements that can be made and I hope some day to see technology to reflect that.

I get .235 G7 for the 177 HH from a 284 win long action. Brux 1:8. Drops verified at 1000.
The exception I take from this work is the Hammer BC is not calculated from an instrument such as a LabRadar but from their OWN field shot drops. I have taken any BC provided from shot drops as a suggestion more than an absolute.

As you mentioned, every rifle will be different as well as the altitude tested. It is up to EVERY shooter verify their own load and not rely upon a posted BC. I don't disagree that a bullet manufacturer should have a LabRadar for basic BC calculations but others like Hammer calculate from shot drops.

Even Cutting Edge who started in 2001, uses shot drops but are now switching over to Oehler so this is not an uncommon tactic to use for a bullet. So CE started in 2001, 14 years before Hammer are slowly converting over to newer technology.

Cutting Edge Bullets Website:
"At this point the Ballistic Coefficients of our bullets are not exact but are not exaggerated. We arrived at the stated BC's by using muzzle velocity and actual bullet drops at various ranges and calculated them using Oehler's Ballistic Explorer 6.2.0 software. We do realize this is not precise but anyone that has shot long distances will see the difference in drop when compared to the bullets you are currently shooting. As we move forward we plan to get more precise BC's by using an Oehler 43 or Oehler 83 chronograph with acoustic targets set at yardages out to 800 yards. The yardages will be certified and the ballistic coefficients will be very accurate. Eventually, to get even more accurate, we will have data obtained by using Doppler Radar and post it as well."

I appreciate the work but I see it comparing large long standing bullet manufacturers that have had greater resources for longer period of time to a bullet company that has been really producing bullets 6 years or so which is apples to oranges at best. Sure there are improvements that can be made and I hope some day to see technology to reflect that.
Mean while I'll keep shooting Hammer bullets just got three new boxes yesterday.

Mean while I'll keep shooting Hammer bullets just got three new boxes yesterday.
As will I. Copper bullets will most likely never achieve the BC numbers of top target bullets or even top LR hunting bullets. In the copper world Hammers have been the most consistant and easiest to tune. I got tired of opening boxs of LRX's and seeing tips that are not seated all the way or off center.
Hammers have proven to be the exact same in every box. I verified my numbers to be accurate in my rifle. When I drop the hammer on a Hammer things die.

Well done and thanks for taking the time and effort to do this and share your results. I load for more than a handful of 30-378 Accumarks and the BC's vary significantly from gun to gun (with all being more than acceptable within effective hunting ranges).I've ask Steve about this and he said that he has that he experiences the same thing from barrel to barrel in identical rifles. I believe certain styles of bullets are less affected from barrel to barrel allowing them to have a consistent published BC. Unfortunately Hammers, are not one of those and need to be verified. That being said, Hammers remain to be my hunting bullet of choice because they flat out kill better than anything I've used over the past 35 years.
I'll add to this just a little. Saturday morning I went down to our property that was just clear cut and hung a six inch plate from a clearing at 650 yds where I set my shooting table where I'd hoped over the next couple of weeks on a cool morning I'd go shoot a few rounds. My oldest daughter called late yesterday wanting to go shoot pistols whenever I had a chance so I suggested we go today in between rain showers. Long story short, I had four rounds for my 270 Weatherby and five from my 30-378 from last hunting season that needed to be shot to start the upcoming season. Both rifles I'd cleaned to bare metal as soon as season was over last year and have been in the safe since. Dope for both were 11 and 11.2 MOA at 650 and with no fouler rounds, put all nine shot on the plate. These were 117HH's in the 270 and 181 HH's in the 30-378.

The Sg's look real good for the bullets shown.

I ran these using a slower velocity than the big .264 WM, like would be expected from a 6.5 Creedmoor having an 8 twist. Sg's should be slightly higher with the big speedy .264 WM.

Screenshot (432).png

I also checked my numbers against JBM using the 147 Hornady ELDM, not have an actual bullet to measure I used JBM data.

Screenshot (430).png

Any info how JBM does BC calcs using velocity differences? The bullets tested should be flying real good with minimum wobbling. The Hornady 4DOF uses drag coefficients vs. comparisons to some standard bullet. BC's change during bullet flight. I would like to see the JBM method.

Last edited:
Tested out some Hammers over the last few weeks, and thought I'd publish my findings on the ballistic coefficients.

Tested using LabRadar and a Kestrel for environmentals. Used JBM Ballistics online calculator (click here). I shoot in a flat dirt field, so the LabRadar tracks exceptionally well, as there is no vegetation, let alone objects, which will interfere with tracking. I discard any tracking file that is less than 90 yards, and most have 100-150 yards of reliable data.

All 0.264 bullets were fired in a 264WM, 1:8", 5R, X-Caliber Savage Prefit. I've included some other bullets I've repeatedly measured in the same rifles, to give an idea of other brands' offset from quoted.

G1 (LabRadar)G7 (LabRadar)Quoted G1Quoted G7G1 % DifferenceG7 % Difference
124 HH
0.413​
0.202​
0.245​
82%​
Barnes 145 Match Burner
0.647​
0.321​
0.703​
92%​
Hornady 147 ELDM
0.662​
0.326​
0.697​
0.351​
95%​
93%​
Berger 156 EOL
0.660​
0.327​
0.679​
0.347​
97%​
94%​
Barnes 127 LRX
0.458​
0.224​
0.468​
98%​
Hornady 143 ELDX
0.640​
0.313​
0.623​
0.314​
103%​
100%​

All 0.284 bullets fired in a 7mm-08, 1:8", 5R, X-Caliber Savage Prefit.

BulletG1 LabRadarG7 LabRadarQuoted G1Quoted G7G1 % DiffernceG7 % Difference
140 Absolute Hammer
0.389​
0.194​
0.225​
86%​
143 Hammer Hunter
0.399​
0.200​
0.230​
87%​
Badlands 140 SBDII
0.516​
0.259​
0.560​
0.287​
92%​
90%​
Barnes 139 LRX
0.445​
0.223​
0.470​
95%​
Barnes 145 LRX
0.466​
0.234​
0.486​
96%​

Some commentary on my method.

I've used the LabRadar and JBM to calculate the B.C. of hundreds of shots, for perhaps 20 different bullets of various calibers and weights, in half a dozen different rifles. So far, the calculated B.C. allows me to shoot closer to reality than the generic B.C.s published by manufacturers. This has held true out to 1400 yards, though the vast majority of my shooting is from 500-900 yds. It's not perfect by any means, but it usually gives me a VERY good place to start confirming real world performance.

In other words, I trust the LabRadar within it's tolerances. A difference of a couple of percent from quoted is outside the LabRadar's abilities to measure, but >5% is certainly meaningful in my opinion.

Some commentary on inevitable commentary...

Not every hunter has the luxury or skill to easily confirm drop data out to maximum hunting distances. Manufacturers should strive to offer a B.C. as close to reality for the average shooter as they can. A couple of LabRadars and a decent weather meter are not that expensive to buy and use. Hornady apparently has a bajillion dollar Doppler setup, and other than the 147 ELDM above, and the 0.284 180 ELDM, every Hornady bullet I've ever measured with LabRadar has been within a couple of percent of their quoted B.C., with a couple actually exceeding the published values by a percent or two.

Every rifle is different, but the rifles used in this test should be conservative, in that they should give the best possible chance for a good B.C. Quality barrels, fast twist in the 7mm-08, and high velocity for stability in the 264. I've tested the same bullets in two different rifles/calibers/twists a few times, and the difference from rifle to rifle was never more than a percent or two, so I find "rifles are different" to be specious at best.

Anyway, hope this information is helpful.
Thanks for the data and report. Our findings have been similar. In 5 different rifles with hammers the BC true'd out ~.3 below the website advertised estimate. They lined up about perfect with the Applied Ballistics BC values (.277 117HH and .264 124HH).

Last edited:
That's what I get. .313 G7 is in the low 600s G1. No copper bullet will ever achieve those numbers. Maybe if you shoot an extreme velocity in the correct conditions.

At what distance are you validating these BC numbers?
Cutting edge currently has 2 7mm lazers (160&185) with g1 +.600. G7+.300

Cutting edge currently has 2 7mm lazers (160&185) with g1 +.600. G7+.300
Yes they do. They also use a denser alloy than other copper bullets. One reason they are so expensive. Word is they use a copper bronze alloy. They have a high sectional density. I'm sure they don't want to reveal that publicly so other company's don't catch on. I also don't feel their drive band design is very practical to most reloaders. Just my 2 cents.
From some other testing I've seen. They are slightly inflated as well. If I gotta spend $60+ for a box of bullets. I want something that is practical to load and accurate. Cutting Edge has even said they don't have the equipment at the moment to produce the numbers as accurate as say Berger and Hornady.
If you want accurate BC numbers without testing real world drops. Then subscribe to Litz's publication. They are dead accurate. My real world test I've done are with in 6% of Litz's information. That percentage will very rifle to rifle. I never said I had a problem. Just info I got from real world drops. At a minimum BC should very verified at 800 yards and beyond to get them perfect.