Had some fun on the range

FrontierGander

Not bad! I had rebarreled my Traditions St.Louis Hawken about 1 1/2 months ago and ended up using a CVA Hawken .54cal barrel.

Today I finally sat down and took my time, swabbing the bore between each shot, letting everything cool down, seating the patched round ball consistently on the powder. I even went as far as using a drop tube to keep the powder off the walls of the bore.

Using 90gr 2fg Gearhart - Owen black powder, .020" patches and .530" home cast round balls, I produced this nice little group. Im not sure if I want to touch that rear sight though. Sometimes just the tiniest amount moves it over a few inches.

Next time out, I'll up the charge to 100 and 110gr and see how the group holds up. Very happy with that new barrel!

There is something magical about a 54 cal. barrel. I have built several Hawken 54 cal. Every one shot good . I had to sell my custom rifle I built during my divorce, To keep the wolves off my back. I built a TC Hawken .54 from a kit just to have a rifle to deer hunt with. It shoots better than is should.

Looks like you will need a sharp knife if you hunt with it. Happy Buck Skinning

Love the 54's! I have a TC Hawkens that I bought in 1989 with 1:48 that shoots round ball ok but shoots Hornady Great Plains 425 absolutely lights out. They are just thumpers and whatever you hit knows it😄.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.