H50bmg in 338 edge.

wboregon

I've got a 28" 338 edge.

II hav a chance to buy some h50 for a good price. Does any one have any hands on exeriance with this in edge? Id probably run this under 300gr nosler CC's. Ive already got 8lbs of 7977 left over from another rifle and about 5lb of retumbo but different batch #s mostly.

Just wanted to see if it was worth the cost to experiment.

i think the reason it wont work for you is case capacity, but if its a screamin deal ... you may have other uses for it

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD.pdf

if you do hodgdon site and pick 300RUM so the H50BMG option comes up on powder ( check the H50BMG box only ) , then try to change the cartridge selection again and see the options it gives for cartridges that uses H50BMG, you will see that all are high volume cases, and generally need lighter bullets to save the room in the case for powder

the closest thing is the 300rum ( to the 338egde) and is maxing out compressed at 100.5 with a 220 grn bullet

Last edited:
yeah it's deffinitly a slow burn rate, I've got 94 grains retumbo under a 265 (might not be quite the right combination just what I had for initial load at the time) and there's still some room in the case. the 300cc's aren't much longer, but do have a longer bearing surface so they're probably going to be less room in the case as is.

Guess I'll look around for some more retumbo or try out some of my 7977.

it'll probably shoot just fine, but you likely will NOT get max. velocity with the combo.

I shoot wc872 in my 270win with a 130 grain bonded tipped pill I got as an over-run cheap... It wouldn't shoot with the usual suspects, so I tried a full case of 872... got to about 2500 fps... So I upped the ante by extending the oal so the pill was resting on the lands and pushed the charge to nearly max. compression... the load shoots moa for ten shots at 100 without letting the bbl. cool and is clocking in at a bit over 2700 fps. Not great numbers, but I can shoot a full size rifle for about what a 22 mag costs to shoot... and who cares about speed for short to mid range trigger time anyway?...

The guy to ask about the edge is Shawn Carlock. If i remember correctly he told me you cant get enough H50bmg in the case

The guy to ask about the edge is Shawn Carlock. If i remember correctly he told me you cant get enough H50bmg in the case

that seems to be the consensis yeah. is okay retumbo is cheap and plentiful in my neck of the woods and h1000 isn't to hard to come by ether

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.