H50BMG for 300WM?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
Quick question.
Does anyone have a ballpark starting load for 210-215gr bullets in the 300WM?

It appears my own load is not producing enough start pressure, velocities are very erratic and the burn is real dirty.

Cheers.

That powder is way way too slow for the .300 Win Mag. Get some H1000, Retumbo, RL26, or IMR 7977. You're getting erratic results from low pressure, that can be very dangerous.

Thanks for the reply.
The load isn't dangerous, start pressure is where the problem lies.
I am going to try increasing neck tension, although it may prove futile.
H50BMG is not much slower than RE33, that works well in the 300 with 230gr bullets and 215's in my experience.

Cheers.

I have tried H-5010 in my 300 Win which is appx the same burn rate as H50 BMG and I found it way to slow for the case. It worked but very compressed and not the best of velocity.

Reloder powders tend to be higher energy powders compared to Hodgdon powders, which leads to more velocity per kernel. Even if you compare RL33 data to H50BMG data in the same cartridges with the same weight bullets, max loads of RL33 are about 3gr less than H50BMG. So even though they look relatively close on the burn rate chart, doesn't mean they're really close in reality. Like I said before, you're running into low pressure signs. You're not gaining anything by running H50BMG in a .300 Win Mag other than problems. I would seriously switch to something in the H1000 burn rate range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.