H4350 vs RL22

And now some are using RL26 for 215gr Bergers in the 30-06. New bullets and powders bring new life for the 06. But older data is tried a trued.

In any case the OP will find many are looking to RL16, RL17, and RL26 for the 6.5 CM. H4350 has been a long time favorite, but it seems RL16 is more temp stable. That's the thing about reloading, find out what you rifle likes and enjoy.

Going on some of the replies re 23 whos work well in the 30.06. Anyone got and load data for that

Then I guess you haven't loaded RL22 in a 30-06. It's been a popular powder in the 30-06 for over a decade.
only a decade?? :) Many of us tried the rl powders in the mid chamberings like the 30-06 back when it was still sourced by Hercules powder. It works, but 4350 works as well. I run rl 7, 15, 17, 22, 25, 26, 33, and 50 in my rifles, it all works well when it is run properly.
There are a few here grousing about temp. issues with rl22; Yup, I've seen a ~75 fps spread (0 to 100 degrees) on rl22 in my 300win. Yup, other powders may have a few less fps swing... This rifle runs well with rl22 though and has done so for over 20 years- dropped my deer this year with the 300/rl22 combo at 641 yards offhand. The secret to rl powders?? Leave the last few percent on the table and do NOT push your load to the absolute max. You will still be faster than single base and you will have a bit of wiggle room for temp. swings without the speed/ pressure getting wacky.

My go to has mainly been H4350 in the 06 for 180 gr loads. RL22 work as well as does Ramshot Hunter. Used H4895 for 150gr loads. But I tend to be a one load for multiple uses so H4350 with a 180gr PT or original Solid Base has been my load for around a decade or so. I have had RL powder for over two decades but don't remember playing with them much way back then. The older crew at Nosler, who have mostly retired, liked many of the RL powders a decade or more ago. Which is when I got introduced to them. Or I should say is when I started experimenting more with them. But since I shoot and hunt in areas where there can be big temp swings intraday I rely more of temp insensitive powders.

Last edited:
Last edited:
While the Alliant powders will give you
So I see these 2 powders as popular for reloading 6.5 CM

What makes one better than the other or is it just personal preference

I am getting ready to start reloading again and I am trying to determine what powder I should use
Go with 4350 some of the Alliant powders will get you a bit more speed but then you need to have seasonal loads.
I know I will get jumped on for that but we have ran Alliant in the Sherman lines up north they produce great numbers especially 26/33
But ran into so many MV issues that it's not worth running unless you constantly check or make new loads for different seasons.
5 winters ago we had a late season draw and -27 deg C temps we were seeing up to 85ft/sec+ with RL26 when we tested rifles before leaving.
My sons CM when I reloaded for it used 4350 great results.

While the Alliant powders will give you

Go with 4350 some of the Alliant powders will get you a bit more speed but then you need to have seasonal loads.
I know I will get jumped on for that but we have ran Alliant in the Sherman lines up north they produce great numbers especially 26/33
But ran into so many MV issues that it's not worth running unless you constantly check or make new loads for different seasons.
5 winters ago we had a late season draw and -27 deg C temps we were seeing up to 85ft/sec+ with RL26 when we tested rifles before leaving.
My sons CM when I reloaded for it used 4350 great results.

RL26,-27 degrees C, and you saw an 85fps increase or decrease? You wrote +, but lower temps usually reduce velocity. I have not tested RL26 in widely different temps yet.

My go to has mainly been H4350 in the 06 for 180 gr loads. RL22 work as well as does Ramshot Hunter. Used H4895 for 150gr loads. But I tend to be a one load for multiple uses so H4350 with a 180gr PT or original Solid Base has been my load for around a decade or so. I have had RL powder for over two decades but don't remember playing with them much way back then. The older crew at Nosler, who have mostly retired, liked many of the RL powders a decade or more ago. Which is when I got introduced to them. Or I should say is when I started experimenting more with them. But since I shoot and hunt in areas where there can be big temp swings intraday I rely more of temp insensitive powders.
Second what said above. 4350 is a great powder for a variety of guns. Lots of friends who shoot competion shoot the 4350.
I use it mostly as stated above with the 06 for almost 20 years. 180 gr pushing it around 2800 FPS with solid base. Is very reliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.