H4350 vs RL22

I used REL-22 for years in my 270 Win, 6.5x55, and my 300 WEA. While it did provide some pretty impressive velocities, it is not very stable. Velocity would vary up to 150 FPS from 0 deg. F to 70. I switched to REL-23 which has a similar, but not identical burn rate. After extensive testing, I found that my velocity/pressure deviations dropped to an average of 25 FPS across the 3 rifles that I have listed. These loads were tested from 0 deg F to 90 deg. using a Lab-Radar chronograph. Please note that the velocities were virtually identical to what I was getting with REL-22.

I used REL-22 for years in my 270 Win, 6.5x55, and my 300 WEA. While it did provide some pretty impressive velocities, it is not very stable. Velocity would vary up to 150 FPS from 0 deg. F to 70. I switched to REL-23 which has a similar, but not identical burn rate. After extensive testing, I found that my velocity/pressure deviations dropped to an average of 25 FPS across the 3 rifles that I have listed. These loads were tested from 0 deg F to 90 deg. using a Lab-Radar chronograph. Please note that the velocities were virtually identical to what I was getting with REL-22.
That's some good new to 30-06 owners. Another option to try.

I haven'ttried RL22 in 6.5 CM but I have used it in 6.5x55 using 140 grain Nosler Partitions and Sierra GameKings.

In my limited testing, it produced adequate hunting accuracy without any sign of high pressure of any kind (in my rifle), even exceeding book maximum by a few grains.

But, H4350 had better group size.

In 6.5 CM I worked up loads using H4350 and W760, of the two, the H4350 loads were much more accurate than the W760 loads.

Rifles for both are Ruger M77 Hawkeye.

That's some good new to 30-06 owners. Another option to try.
Honestly it's a good bit too slow for .30-06. The case isn't really overbore enough, though if someone were to stick something like 230's in an ought-six case that might make some sense but would still get low speeds. Anything slower than RL-17 with a .30-06 is not really optimal from what I can see.

Awhile back I developed some hunting loads for a friends 6.5 CM. The rifle is a TC Compass that I had glass bedded. H-4350 provided the best combination of velocity and accuracy compared to REL-22 using 125 gr. Nosler Partitions. When I tried 140 gr. Partitions, the opposite was true. He currently hunts with the 125 gr. / H-4350 load and it works quite well for him. I'm trying to talk him into trying the 140's again using REL-23. As I previously posted, REL-22 has proven to me to be quite temperature sensitive.

Guess you haven't put it to work in high heat.

Which do you mean? 22 or 26? I have found 22 to be temp sensitive. 7mmRM loads developed in summer 95 -105 degree weather dropped 75 - 100fps when low 60s in the fall hit. I did get very good accuracy out of it though.
I have played with 26 in 6.5CM and like others saw 100fps velocity increase capability but don't know about temp sensitivity yet.

H4350 was the rage for 6.5CM for some time, and may still be I don't know. The scarcity of it for a while pushed people to try others which turned out well too.
H4350 is temp stable and has a wide application so it's a popular powder. Great in 243 and 270. Bullets should be on the lighter side since it's medium fast burn rate. My experiences with it in a couple of powders and a dozen bullets is that I don't get much more than moderate velocities before pressure signs start to appear.

Honestly it's a good bit too slow for .30-06. The case isn't really overbore enough, though if someone were to stick something like 230's in an ought-six case that might make some sense but would still get low speeds. Anything slower than RL-17 with a .30-06 is not really optimal from what I can see.
Then I guess you haven't loaded RL22 in a 30-06. It's been a popular powder in the 30-06 for over a decade.

When I bought my Creedmoor H4350 was hard to find so I went with Reloaded 17. When I found some H4350 I tried it. The R17 gave me better velocity and accuracy. I cannot comment on the temp sensitivity.

I use REL-17 in my custom 284 WIN and can attest that is a very temperature stable powder. Much better than REL-19, especially in cold climates.

Then I guess you haven't loaded RL22 in a 30-06. It's been a popular powder in the 30-06 for over a decade.
Yeah, I have. Something like 21 years ago. Velocities simply weren't there with 150's or 168's upside what I got with faster powders. I got great velocities with RL-22 in .270 with heavy bullets. That's telling me it wants a more overbore case.

Which do you mean? 22 or 26? I have found 22 to be temp sensitive. 7mmRM loads developed in summer 95 -105 degree weather dropped 75 - 100fps when low 60s in the fall hit. I did get very good accuracy out of it though.
I have played with 26 in 6.5CM and like others saw 100fps velocity increase capability but don't know about temp sensitivity yet.
I was referring to RL-22, which apparently you do know to be kinda nasty about temps. I've used it in Kommiefornia desert heat after developing in 70F weather and found myself suddenly with primers piercing. Everything I see about RL-26 says it's really stable and it's one of the new powders they came out with that all seem to offer improved temp stability. My own experience with RL-23 is it's pretty darned impressively stable especially on the hot end. I have more than one time left my rounds baking in direct 110F summer sun till they were uncomfortablly hot to the touch and had no pressure signs or high misses from it with a load that was right up there around max to begin with (.243AI w/ 115's at 3200fps from a 25" pipe).

In the 30-06 I hunt with 165gr for deer and 180gr plus for elk. RL22 was one of Nosler's favorite powders for the 06 for atleast the past decade.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.