H4350 or IMR4350?

As many posters have gathered I'm building my first long range deer and coyote gun, this site has helped me decide my barrel choice(Criterion) and caliber(284). Now I'm trying to figure this out, any guidance will be appreciated. In researching a powder starting point for loads I see H4350 and H4831 mentioned the most.

Heres the reason for my question, I have a lot of IMR4350 on hand as its the powder of choice in my 7mm-08 and 260. I know the H4350 is more temp tolerant but wonder if working up a load with the powder I have (IMR4350) would be very similar to the H4350. I would figure that temp consistency would be quite important to target shooters but not as much to me. I intend to work up my initial load with 140gr accubonds, my hunting bullet of choice, I already use and have lots of 210M's and BR2's in stock. Honestly I'm at the bottom on funds and still need dies and brass yet, so honest opinions is what I need. The barrel will be 1-9 twist 26" varmint contour. Dave...…... Oh and Merry Christmas to all
When I have powders/ loads that aren't temp stable I try to load test close to the same temps as when I will actually use or hunt at. Or develop max loads at max temps and adjust for velocity loss as temps go down.

No I don't hunt out west, far northeastern tip of the country. In 55 years of hunting up here the two longest shots for deer have been 110-122 yds. If you are tight with a larger farmer shots can be had up to about 300-400 yds across fields. I have looked into that, and my old hunting buddy is now doing that as him and several others pay pretty heavy for a lease to do that. In the far north clearcuts are also an opportunity but they grow up in a couple years so its constantly changing.

Nah I just thought being on a long range hunting forum that building one of these rifles would be interesting and we do have some ranges that offer several hundred yards to shoot at. When I first started hunting deer up here in maine I lived in maryland and we ground hog hunted in SE Pennsylvania. Lotta big farms and long yardage shots. If you can hit chucks at 300-400yds steady, I would say deer at those distances and more are no problem. But I'll never shoot deer at the yardages a lot of members on here do. I'm going to try IMR4350 - H4350 - and RL 15 to start and work from there,140gr accubonds and paritions. Thanks again for the advice its always appreciated. Dave

Been using IMR 4350 for many years in 243 with Sierra 85 gr hpbt. Maximum in my guns was 43 grs. with hard bolt lift. New powder from 2015 at 44 grs shows no pressure sights.

Having used H4350, same bullet, took more powder.

I am thinking IMR 4350 has become H4350??? Same powder in both cans? Wish i had my old chronograph to check velocity.

Not even close..I've used the H-4350 in a ton of cartridges over the last 50 years and I consider it the BEST powder ever made, period.. In just about anything..superb accuracy and clean burning..if it won't shoot with H..sell it !!

I use IMR 4350 in 30-06 in all temps. I've never had a load just fall apart from temp swings. I'm talking about thousands of rounds fired here in Ohio. Temps range from high nineties to zero and below. The load always worked. Mostly shot from 100 to 600 yards. Longer ranges might start showing signs of velocity swings, maybe, maybe not...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.