H4350 or IMR4350?

Savage 12BVSS

As many posters have gathered I'm building my first long range deer and coyote gun, this site has helped me decide my barrel choice(Criterion) and caliber(284). Now I'm trying to figure this out, any guidance will be appreciated. In researching a powder starting point for loads I see H4350 and H4831 mentioned the most.

Heres the reason for my question, I have a lot of IMR4350 on hand as its the powder of choice in my 7mm-08 and 260. I know the H4350 is more temp tolerant but wonder if working up a load with the powder I have (IMR4350) would be very similar to the H4350. I would figure that temp consistency would be quite important to target shooters but not as much to me. I intend to work up my initial load with 140gr accubonds, my hunting bullet of choice, I already use and have lots of 210M's and BR2's in stock. Honestly I'm at the bottom on funds and still need dies and brass yet, so honest opinions is what I need. The barrel will be 1-9 twist 26" varmint contour. Dave...…... Oh and Merry Christmas to all

In the normal hunting situation you will not be able to tell the difference as far as temp swing will be. The average deer hunter that sets up their rifle and works themselves into a frenzy getting it to shoot small groups at 300+ yards will usually find that 99% of the deer they will shoot in their lives will be under 300 yards with most of those under 100 yards. Use what you have and it will put meat in the freezer as well as anything.

Merry Christmas to all! Use what you have on hand--it's already paid for. Get it shooting as good as you can with that and if your still not satisfied then you can experiment in the future. I shot the same imr 4350 load out of one of my hunting rifles for years, shot fine and killed a lot of critters with it. One day I felt like experimenting a little and found a different combination that cut my groups in half. I don't have to have under half moa for a moderate range hunting rifle-- but I m sure not complaining about it!

Last summer I froze rounds overnight in the freezer - than packed them in the cooler, off to the range I go - in 90 degree heat I left the rounds In the sun for 20 minutes.

shot both rounds over chronograph. I saw a 31 FPS swing between the two rounds.

this was a max charge of imr 4350 in a 300 wsm w/150 gr bullets.

works for me!

IMR is not H. They're different powders, only the names are similar.

I can tell you one thing, if you get 1 granule of IMR4350 in a case full of H4350 that would normally be totally pressure safe, you'll see pressures jump right up to primer popping levels. Ask me how I know.

In 6XC with 115's I had to drop a full grain in charge weight to go to IMR4350 and it was running pressures way higher than H4350 was.

DO NOT THINK THEY'RE ANYTHING ALIKE JUST BECAUSE THE NUMBER IS THE SAME.

In loading info I've found the loads are already a grain or so lighter between H and IMR powders, I also start low and work up because often I find the sweet spot right about midway in load manuals. Wouldn't consider mixing the two for a second, I just have a good supply of the IMR version. My two current shorter range deer guns are customs and are used in woods to regrowth where long range would be 70-100yds tops. Both use IMR4350 and both are in the fours right now for honest accuracy, both loads are 90 percent tuned in save final ladder with distance to lands.

The gun being assembled was used with bedded stock and good lug and trigger and a take-off savage varmint contour 22-250 bbl about 8 years ago. It shot good but not as well as my avatar gun so I took the barrel and stock for other uses, now this site has got me looking at a long range (350yds) field gun for coyote calling and deer. Sorry long range up here don't go much farther unless on a long swale bog or powerline. I'm on the final stretch now and starting to compile load data that will give me a leg up on a starting point.

I can't afford a good long range scope right away but have an elite 2.5x10-40 that tracks and holds zero great. It will serve me while I work up loads, but I intend to use a 4-4.5 to 12-14 power scope with decent glass as the finial purchase. Gettn' old so should really call this the last build and work-up...….but this site just keeps giving me ideas a WSM or Saum cartridge could be another interesting project......I just need to live long and prosper :)

Last edited:
Use what you have. If you are curious you can pick up a lb of the H4350 later.
I have and use both of them. One in a 25-08 and one in a 7mm08. I tend to need just a little more of the H to match velocity. Accuracy is the same with both.

In the normal hunting situation you will not be able to tell the difference as far as temp swing will be. The average deer hunter that sets up their rifle and works themselves into a frenzy getting it to shoot small groups at 300+ yards will usually find that 99% of the deer they will shoot in their lives will be under 300 yards with most of those under 100 yards. Use what you have and it will put meat in the freezer as well as anything.
You must not hunt out west. Our last couple years worth of hunting: Deer were taken @ 160, 354, 454, 488, 532, 637. Throw in antelope @ 183, 391, 450. Elk were 60, 105, 160, 254, 381, 662, 882.

As for powder, IMR4350 and H4350 are not directly interchangeable. Use what you have, and just record your info. You should be fine.

You must not hunt out west. Our last couple years worth of hunting: Deer were taken @ 160, 354, 454, 488, 532, 637. Throw in antelope @ 183, 391, 450. Elk were 60, 105, 160, 254, 381, 662, 882.

As for powder, IMR4350 and H4350 are not directly interchangeable. Use what you have, and just record your info. You should be fine.

No I do not hunt out west and neither do a lot of other people.

No I do not hunt out west and neither do a lot of other people.
I hunt in the East and have shot and witnessed plenty of deer shot at 300+ yards. It all depends on the ground you hunt and the area you're in.

As far as powder goes, I have a .284 and have found excellent results using RL23 with 175-180gr bullets. I understand you're wanting to stick to what you have, but if you decide to try something new definitely give RL23 a try. For the lighter bullets you intend to shoot, I think IMR 4350 will be a great powder though.

As many posters have gathered I'm building my first long range deer and coyote gun, this site has helped me decide my barrel choice(Criterion) and caliber(284). Now I'm trying to figure this out, any guidance will be appreciated. In researching a powder starting point for loads I see H4350 and H4831 mentioned the most.

Heres the reason for my question, I have a lot of IMR4350 on hand as its the powder of choice in my 7mm-08 and 260. I know the H4350 is more temp tolerant but wonder if working up a load with the powder I have (IMR4350) would be very similar to the H4350. I would figure that temp consistency would be quite important to target shooters but not as much to me. I intend to work up my initial load with 140gr accubonds, my hunting bullet of choice, I already use and have lots of 210M's and BR2's in stock. Honestly I'm at the bottom on funds and still need dies and brass yet, so honest opinions is what I need. The barrel will be 1-9 twist 26" varmint contour. Dave...…... Oh and Merry Christmas to all
Not enough difference to ever notice! ( For now)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.