• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

H4350 at midsouth

I bought 2 8lb jugs thanks to this post, and I feel like the wealthiest man on earth. Once I confirm that I have 6 large rifle primers and a piece of flint, I will no longer feel this way. Thank you so much, kind sir.

I might disagree with your theory. The Obama Era shortages were primarily primers and 22lr. Many of us reloaders remember that to this day. You can make gun powder but making primers and 22lr is a different story. So, what happened? They bought and bought when they became available again with a never again attitude. Most of us reloaders who have been at it a while dont have a primer problem. This time around it has been all components, especially powder and bullets. It takes a lot of $$ in gun powder and bullets to burn through several thousand primers.

I might disagree with your theory. The Obama Era shortages were primarily primers and 22lr. Many of us reloaders remember that to this day. You can make gun powder but making primers and 22lr is a different story. So, what happened? They bought and bought when they became available again with a never again attitude. Most of us reloaders who have been at it a while dont have a primer problem. This time around it has been all components, especially powder and bullets. It takes a lot of $$ in gun powder and bullets to burn through several thousand primers.
This mess isn't being driven by people on this site, because most of us who have been loading a while had a year's worth of primers on hand. But you are right, I certainly didn't keep an 8 lb jug on hand for every brick of primers (except SP, which needs a pound of 231 per 5 bricks). But I follow you, I went into this mess with about 7000 primers and 20k rounds of 22lr. Should have had more primers. I was able to move a lot of things that I couldn't sell before the crunch by throwing in some primers or ammo. A pistol that wouldn't have brought $375 a year ago I sold for $500 by throuwing in a box of .45 FMJ. Sold the 1000 free XTP 185s I got with my press with a pound of old 231 and a thousand primers for $500. In both cases got thanked for being so fair. The money goes in an envelope for more primers and rimfire once things return to "normal", which I will say is when primers are approaching $40/1000 and rimfire is approaching $35/bulk pack. Thinking end of next year. Hope I'm right...

All these people with new presses are going to have to put in a hoarders share of primers too. May have to revise my estimate of when I think things will return to normal. That said, ammo will be back before primers, so a certain percent of these folks will decide reloading is not their thing. Tastes change and people get different interests (except Creedmoor people, they love Creedmoor forever).

I heard the other day from a Dillon authorized dealer that they won't answer the phone anymore. He was told that the production is sold out through the rest of the year from them months ago...
Just yesterday I spoke with Dillon to have my 550b sent in for a thorough clean/mxs and to order a XL 750. Was told 6 month wait to include all options, so I paid and will just load pistols on my 550 when it gets back in 3 weeks. Rifle is done on my Coax, 223 will be done on the new Dillon... when ever it arrives.