h1000 vs rl33

ohiohunter

How do these two compare in temp stability, velocity, burns cleaner, max weight vs case volume in 300wm....etc. Been think about trying the rl33 in my 300wm behind a 215 berger.

Right now I'm only pushing them at about 2715fps over 71.5gr in RWS brass. I know I can push them harder, but w/ short window to work up a load this was the accurate one.

H1000 was tested by Barnes bullets and was shown to be one of the best for insensitivity to temperature changes (along with Ramshot Magnum). RL-33 on the other hand has an acknowledged drift with temperature of 0.5 fps per degree F of temp change per the manufacturer. Your mileage may vary (will vary).

If you want high velocity at relatively low pressure RL-33 is one of the best in overbore magnums. I find that I can live with the temp drift since I develop hunting loads in the same temps I anticipate shooting them. H1000 is on the other end of the spectrum. For pure performance it sucks compared to RL-33. Of course velocity is not the whole story. ES is also important and while RL-33 is decent in this department H1000 is no slouch either.

Bottom line, when I want to slow a load down I reach for the H1000. When I want to go screaming fast the choice is RL-33.

H1000 was tested by Barnes bullets and was shown to be one of the best for insensitivity to temperature changes (along with Ramshot Magnum). RL-33 on the other hand has an acknowledged drift with temperature of 0.5 fps per degree F of temp change per the manufacturer. Your mileage may vary (will vary).

If you want high velocity at relatively low pressure RL-33 is one of the best in overbore magnums. I find that I can live with the temp drift since I develop hunting loads in the same temps I anticipate shooting them. H1000 is on the other end of the spectrum. For pure performance it sucks compared to RL-33. Of course velocity is not the whole story. ES is also important and while RL-33 is decent in this department H1000 is no slouch either.

Bottom line, when I want to slow a load down I reach for the H1000. When I want to go screaming fast the choice is RL-33.

+1

Might check IMR7977. Have tried it a bit and like it. Can't vouch for temp stability. Although in talking with the tech at the Hogden boot at shot show he said that the new enduron powders may make them have to re write the book on temp sensitivity. He claimed they are better than any powder before.

Steve

I agree with above posts on RL33 vs H1000. 1000 is very accurate and stable but lacks top velocity. RL33 gives top velocity, but you may be just a bit short on capacity to utilize it very well in a WM with 215's. My 30/375 S.I. with a case capacity of 96+ grains will make about 3200' with a compressed load and max pressure is not yet reached. You might try it and see what velocity you get, but you will be well down from max pressure I would think...........Rich
p.s. 7977 can be loaded almost gr. for gr. with H1000 for the same pressure and velocity in my S.I. Since both are now owned by Hodgdon, I would not be at all surprised if it is not H1000 with some additives.

I have no experience with RL33, but I switched from Retumbo to H1000 because of ES. If the ES isnt good, then who cares what the velocity is because you cannot have success at long range with large velocity spreads. Max velocity is not nearly as important with the advent of very precise laser rangefinders. ES is far far more imprtant than max velocity.

+1

Might check IMR7977. Have tried it a bit and like it. Can't vouch for temp stability. Although in talking with the tech at the Hogden boot at shot show he said that the new enduron powders may make them have to re write the book on temp sensitivity. He claimed they are better than any powder before.

Steve

I tried some IMR 4451 which is from the ENDURON family and it sucks, at least on my rifles. On Hodgdon reloading page it shows awesome velocity on the .243 win and indeed you can reach very high velocity but SD was awfully high. My magneto said SD 43 out of a 10 shot string.

Also tried in my 6.5 CM and had the same problem SD 39 and Velocity was nowhere near as my RL-17 Load. I´m getting around 2930-2950 fps depending on how warm the day is while 4451 just gave me 2750
RL-17 has showed me a temp sensitivity of 1.05 fps per F from 32F to 86F

Just saying that I wasn't Very impressed by that particular ENDURON powder. The way I see it, SD affects my shots even worst than temp sensitivity. Even if I don't even take temp sensitivity into account I can get more consistent shots at long range than with a very stable powder with bad SD

I tried some IMR 4451 which is from the ENDURON family and it sucks, at least on my rifles. On Hodgdon reloading page it shows awesome velocity on the .243 win and indeed you can reach very high velocity but SD was awfully high. My magneto said SD 43 out of a 10 shot string.

Also tried in my 6.5 CM and had the same problem SD 39 and Velocity was nowhere near as my RL-17 Load. I´m getting around 2930-2950 fps depending on how warm the day is while 4451 just gave me 2750
RL-17 has showed me a temp sensitivity of 1.05 fps per F from 32F to 86F

Just saying that I wasn't Very impressed by that particular ENDURON powder. The way I see it, SD affects my shots even worst than temp sensitivity. Even if I don't even take temp sensitivity into account I can get more consistent shots at long range than with a very stable powder with bad SD

I have not tried those you mentioned, but I will say that 7977 gave low es, good accuracy, and (ok) velocity. As I stated earlier, it is very similar to H1000 IMO.....Rich

Here is what I came up with trying the 3 powders for my 300 Weatherby and 230
Bergers. All groups were 1/2 Moa or better at 100 yards.
H1000 81gr 2902 fps sd of 12
Rl33 86gr 3050 fps sd of 28
N570 85gr 3020 fps sd of 7

Here is what I came up with trying the 3 powders for my 300 Weatherby and 230
Bergers. All groups were 1/2 Moa or better at 100 yards.
H1000 81gr 2902 fps sd of 12
Rl33 86gr 3050 fps sd of 28
N570 85gr 3020 fps sd of 7

Interesting, whats the story behind N570? Never heard of it. Is it usually this consistent? How temp stable is it? and does it burn cleaner that h1000?

Interesting, whats the story behind N570? Never heard of it. Is it usually this consistent? How temp stable is it? and does it burn cleaner that h1000?

N570 is a high energy, double base powder from Vihtavouri (sp) that often gives top velocity, good accuracy, and low es. I THINK it is fairly temp stable and am not sure about how clean it burns. It is a little spendy, as are all of the Vihtavouri powders, and most stores don't stock it but you can usually find it on line......Rich

Wish I had tried n570 too, burned a lot of retumbo in search of lowES, finally settled on H1000.

How is the temp stability of rl26 vs others mentioned here?

That is the only unknown at this time. I shot it quite a bit last summer and into the colder fall months with pretty good results. I don't have hard data as far as fps vs degrees temp, but it seemed good in my long range work. I consistently get single digit es in 3 different cartridges......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.