H1000 Alternative

jtaustin

I've been watching this forum for a while, novice reloader, shot first bull in Colorado last year with XBolt 300WM. Reload with H1000, Nosler brass, 180 AB, 215 primers. Can't find H1000 so wondering which other powders are about the same to start a new load?

I've been watching this forum for a while, novice reloader, shot first bull in Colorado last year with XBolt 300WM. Reload with H1000, Nosler brass, 180 AB, 215 primers. Can't find H1000 so wondering which other powders are about the same to start a new load?
IMR ENDURON 7977 = H1000.JPG

IMR 7828 will be very similar, usually with a little more velocity, but is not temp stable. Keep that in mind on load work up, if your temps vary much, it would be a good idea to stay away from a top end load. H4831 and sc would work fine for 180's, I have used that combo, and I usually get really good accuracy with it. It is obviously faster burning so a re-work will be necessary as with any powder, and velocity may be a little slower than H1000, but it would work good and is usually not very picky, and is also very temp stable. Plus, I have seen both of these available recently at powder valley.
Retumbo is the best substitute almost Identical, You might not even have to change the load.

Dean
Ya, with the same charge you would be lower pressure and a little lower velocity, but would be close, upping the powder charge would yield the same or maybe better fps. Unfortunately, if he doesn't already have it, Retumbo is just as "unobtainium" as H1000....

I have used 8133 to replace Retumbo in three of my rifles, with great results. My Savage Lapua (the only stock LR rifle I shoot) will shoot sub MOA with 87 grains of 8133 and 285 ELDs. Currently playing with N570, but so far not as good as 8133 but the jury is still out. SDs are great but the groups are not.

Thanks for the advice! I have one lb of Retumbo. Might try a few of those first. Still want 3000 fps.
Hunt 10-11,500 ft mostly, 2nd season which is moved back to November this year. Train in Texas heat then head to high country so stability is good.

To get 3000fps with 180s in a 300WM you must be loading 80gr of H1000 that's a compressed load.
I don't think you will have anymore room to add more powder to compensate as far as case volume.

Dean

Last edited:
To get 3000fps with 180s in a 300WM you must be loading 80gr of H1000 that's a compressed load.
I don't think you will have anymore room to add more powder to compensate as far as case volume.

Dean
Depends where he is seating the bullets. I run mine around 3.5coal depending on the bullet and run 78gr with a 200gr pill not compressed