Alternative Primers

Tiny Tim

While I have primers, I'm always on the lookout. Most pistol and small rifle primers are easy enough to find, but Large Rifle and Large rifle magnum primers are still relatively rare.

I have been seeing Cheddite brand show up as well as Fiocchi. Any experience with these or others. If I were in need, I'd probably opt for the Fiocchi, but just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing or has tried them?

While I have primers, I'm always on the lookout. Most pistol and small rifle primers are easy enough to find, but Large Rifle and Large rifle magnum primers are still relatively rare.

I have been seeing Cheddite brand show up as well as Fiocchi. Any experience with these or others. If I were in need, I'd probably opt for the Fiocchi, but just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing or has tried them?
Try Ginex large rifle primers.

Made in Bosnia, since 1951.
They work fine. More available and reasonable costs.

Will do. I have the Hornady 10th edition, any other recommendation on manual that I should also have a copy of? Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread.
Most of the "Full Volume" manuals have excellent reloading sections. Just avoid the caliber/ cartridge specific ones as they tend to be greatly abbreviated.

Agree with @purpledragon on the Lyman manual because it isn't tied to a particular bullet or powder brand. Will get you in the ballpark for almost anything you want to reload.

I tried Ginex Small rifle primers in a 308 with 44 gr accurate 4064 and 168 gr A-Max at 2660 fps, accuracy was sub moa at 200 yds but out of 18 , 1 failed to fire after 5 attempts and 1 failed to fire , but did the second time I tried it. Of the 18 , I had 8 that blew a hole through the primer . No pressure signs but I can't trust them for hunting. Ok for plinking and varmints.

I tried Ginex Small rifle primers in a 308 with 44 gr accurate 4064 and 168 gr A-Max at 2660 fps, accuracy was sub moa at 200 yds but out of 18 , 1 failed to fire after 5 attempts and 1 failed to fire , but did the second time I tried it. Of the 18 , I had 8 that blew a hole through the primer . No pressure signs but I can't trust them for hunting. Ok for plinking and varmints.
I assumed as much with many of them. Would probably use them for high round count plinking.

Recent Posts