Gun storage with silencer

Davebearpig

Hey guys,

I have a 556 silencer that I've used on AR's, 22s, 223s, etc, and now I have a custom R700 in 7mag that I'm looking at putting a Thunderbeast on.

My barrel is 26.5" with a vaise brake. I know adding a silencer can change the zero point as it equalizes pressures better, ultimately making it kick less and possibly more accurate.

BUT... here are my questions: Do you guys take your silencers off of your guns when you leave the range/hunt? Do you worry about your zero changing if you take it off all the time? For absolute precision, would a direct thread or quick thread be the best, and do either affect zero if taken off?

If you don't take it off, how do you fit a rifle plus 9" silencer in a case or safe?

The only time I take mine off is when I put it in a carry gun case. It fits in my safe. The top shelf has a slot for shotguns and long barrels. Finding a hard case for that length didn't work.
Heavy barrel 28" plus the 7" TBAC

I have a number of cans, both QD and DT. I sometimes have to remove to get them in cases, and then I do with cleaning the barrel. Each of my guns has a dedicated can so there isn't any swapping, but I've never notice any accuracy issues with either mounting system when taken off and on. Now shooting without creates various degrees of POI change, but when I get the can back on it's back to normal.

BUT... here are my questions: Do you guys take your silencers off of your guns when you leave the range/hunt? Do you worry about your zero changing if you take it off all the time? For absolute precision, would a direct thread or quick thread be the best, and do either affect zero if taken off?

If you don't take it off, how do you fit a rifle plus 9" silencer in a case or safe?

I take mine on and off without any worries. It's best when it's screwed on directly.

I have a folding stock so gun case/safe storage is not an issue.

I have a number of cans, both QD and DT. I sometimes have to remove to get them in cases, and then I do with cleaning the barrel. Each of my guns has a dedicated can so there isn't any swapping, but I've never notice any accuracy issues with either mounting system when taken off and on. Now shooting without creates various degrees of POI change, but when I get the can back on it's back to normal.

This answers my question. I was worried about POI changing after taking it off to clean, and then putting it back on to shoot.

I have an Ultra 7 from TBAC. It uses the CB Brake for mounting. I've never had an issue with changing zero when removing and installing. I visually check an allignment mark on the suppressor and brake to verify that it is screwed on to the same position every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts