If your thinking of getting a silencer and want to know more, ask a ?

mcali2

I'm not here to sell you anything, any brand or any other items. I do like to help others and while I may not know the most, I have good input and love to use silencers.
Before you say they are suppressors, The ATF regulates Silencers and they are not called suppressors on any ATF forms, even if that is what they really are " Suppressors". So lets bypass the "what they are called" and get to the details, Any one can get one if the state allows it and you can pass a gun background check. So unless you know you're not allowed to own a gun, you can own a silencer.

I just went through the purchase and application process for my first suppressor through Silencer Shop earlier this month and very highly recommend that route, especially if there's one of their kiosks locally.

It really can seem quite daunting as a first time buyer, it certainly was for me. But in hindsight, it's really not too complicated and I'm glad to finally have an application in the queue

and what is the question.reason for the post ??
I'm not here to sell you anything, any brand or any other items. I do like to help others and while I may not know the most, I have good input and love to use silencers.
Before you say they are suppressors, The ATF regulates Silencers and they are not called suppressors on any ATF forms, even if that is what they really are " Suppressors". So lets bypass the "what they are called" and get to the details, Any one can get one if the state allows it and you can pass a gun background check. So unless you know you're not allowed to own a gun, you can own a silencer.

I just went through the purchase and application process for my first suppressor through Silencer Shop earlier this month and very highly recommend that route, especially if there's one of their kiosks locally.

It really can seem quite daunting as a first time buyer, it certainly was for me. But in hindsight, it's really not too complicated and I'm glad to finally have an application in the queue
Silencer shop is a cool idea but it can delay you 1 or more month longer. If you buy from a dealer the paperwork goes in right away when you buy at silcer shop they hold the paperwork and I'm guessing here, there is a time period they figured out for credit card charge backs. Then they submit paperwork. Since i deal with them I notice the time from pucherse to the time the can is put into my name and the receiving dealer to me getting it is 1 to 2 months. But additionally I have experanced buying suppressors fom them that they don't phisically have. I believe they are getting production sn# before they even have possession of them. I have first hand knowledge of this as I was sold a suppressor and 2 months later they still did not have it in to ship to me. They finally said they dont know when it will be in and I bought a different can for a discount. They are the only dealer I have seen do this . As a dealer it takes 2 or more weeks to get one from them. At best. If I buy direct from the Mfg. 1 or 2 days. That is my experance. The keyosk is a great tool if buying from a shop that has the suppresser in hand. If not and it is through the silencer shop I knownit to be, it does not save you time. I dont use them and the times I get are are the same once it has been put into my name. Its the time from ordering and the time its put into my name that is a drawback.

Here's one, actually a couple.

1. Do most silencers reduce the decibel level the same? If not, is it in relation to the length of the silencer? I'd rather ask which 30 cal silencer is the quietest, but from my research it is subjective.
2. If cost and accuracy is important (accuracy with suppressor on, not POI shift switching between the two) which one would you suggest?
3. What is your feeling on the silencers that are length adjustable? Some you can unscrew a 2"ish piece to shorten it.

FWIW i have two on order. An ultra 7 and one for a 22. Although thinking more into it, having to put a CB brake on every rifle that I'm going to use with it may not be as great as I thought. My first thought was one can and done ( for anything over .22). With the long wait (I'm on month 9) I'm thinking maybe of ordering another now

I have one... I'm looking to get into my first suppressor/silencer for my 7mm rem mag for ear protection while hunting it's a bolt gun not for firing off rounds per minute.... just looking for decent options on the cheaper side that will provide good quality or advice on what would be best and I'll likely spend the money... lastly if I'd like to swap this from rifle to rifle what are my options I've heard of 1 but cant recall what it is?

1. Do most silencers reduce the decibel level the same? If not, is it in relation to the length of the silencer? I'd rather ask which 30 cal silencer is the quietest, but from my research it is subjective.
2. If cost and accuracy is important (accuracy with suppressor on, not POI shift switching between the two) which one would you suggest?
3. What is your feeling on the silencers that are length adjustable? Some you can unscrew a 2"ish piece to shorten it.
I thought the length couldnt be changed? I've not come across one that's legal to unscrew a 2" piece and shorten it. But interesting if I'm wrong.

How much they reduce noise is a function of volume. So longer should be better all other things being equal. But bigger diameter increases volume much more than adding length. A 1.5" can 6" long has volume 10.6 cubic inches, increased to 10" volume is 17.7cubic inches. Bump it up to 2" diameter at 6" and you get 18.8 cubic inches. But you dont see many large diameter cans out there, they would get in the way of optics, and they probably just look goofy.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

2. If cost and accuracy are important (accuracy with the suppressor on, not POI shift switching between the two) which one would you suggest?
3. What is your feeling on the silencers that are length adjustable? Some you can unscrew a 2" ish piece to shorten it.

FWIW I have two on order. An ultra 7 and one for a 22. Although thinking more into it, having to put a CB brake on every rifle that I'm going to use with it may not be as great as I thought. My first thought was one can and done ( for anything over .22). With the long wait (I'm on month 9) I'm thinking maybe of ordering another now
1. The short answer is no. Many things can change the sound. Stainless bodied cans are quieter than titanium as far as a resonating sound from the body. Titanium has a higher pitch ping. Stainless is lower. This is not reflecting the amount that is suppressed from the design inside. I started with a rugged 30 can. Then went to a silencerCo 338 can. The volume of the 338 reflects a lower report on m 7mm, and 6.5. So the size does matter but there is a limit and it is not much more will help. See the video from rebel silencer who shoot a can that is like 3 feet long. Who has the quietest can? A few companies say theirs does. But what rifle was used? Round? Longer barrels quieter.
2. Most cans will make the round hit higher. Like adding a little more barrel. Mine shoots the same with or without except about 1 moa high at 100yards.
I have many adjustable suppressors. I never adjust them so it is more of a gimmick to me but I have a rebel 338 suppressor I shorten for my 17hmr and 556. The rebel cans offer the ability to clean if you want. I DONT. I've had a few MFG reps say do you clean your trucks muffler?. I have about 6 brands from cheap to very expensive. I don't see. much difference and life is not an issue due to the volume I shoot. The more you use it the better quality you should get. Or at least get one with a life time warranty. I'm on my phone and would love to go into greater details. Silencers are very interesting to me. I like 3 brands more than others. Based on value and use and not branding and hype marketing. Rebel makes a great can that can do most things. This is for the lower volume shooter as in rounds going down range in 1 sitting. Not to reflect the total round count. It does not do as well as my Yankee hill on my 17 hmr or 556 but I'm not sure you can make a 556 quiet. Now if I use the 338 can in full-length rebel is very light and that is a plus to me. .. I really like the silencerco harvester, 300, 30 and big bore. They are 1 style in design and suppress very well. I use the silencerco 338 big-bore for everything 30 cal and up. I use 30 cal can for everything under 30 cal in nature. 270, 7mm08 and 243 I will still use the 338 can. My 7mm rem is a cream puff with it on. Quiet.

You can make a suppressor shorter but not longer by law. Unless you have 2 stamps with you. I have put 2 rebel 30 cal cans together. Have both stamps and both bases with you and your ok. It is long. But does a great job. Only cost like 400.00 for both. Also great to have for the cheap friends who dont have them but want to go shooting with me. I will need to proofread this later. Fat fingers on my phone are hard enough.

Last edited:
I have one... I'm looking to get into my first suppressor/silencer for my 7mm rem mag for ear protection while hunting it's a bolt gun not for firing off rounds per minute.... just looking for decent options on the cheaper side that will provide good quality or advice on what would be best and I'll likely spend the money... lastly if I'd like to swap this from rifle to rifle what are my options I've heard of 1 but cant recall what it is?
Well, I love my silencerco big bore 338 on my 7mm but the harvester 30 or 300 will work great. YANKEE HILL MAKES SOME GREAT CANS TOO. Sorry caps. If you find s dealer who will give you a good deal. There are lots of room on the MSRP from Yankee. Swapping rifles is easy if you have the same thread pattern or get a can with quick disconnect but the big break or flash hider on the end of the deer rifle looks silly but I have them. An inexpensive option is a Rebel. Get the 338 can. They all come with thread adaptors for the different thread patterns. Light for the deer rifle. Long for the brush but you can shorten it if you like.

Last edited:
Well i love my silencerco big bore 338 on my 7mm butbthe harvester 30 or 300 will work great. YANKEE HILL MAKES SOME GREAT CANS TOO. Sorry caps. If you find s deale who will give you a good deal. There are lots of room on the msrp from yankee. Swapping rifles is easy if youhave the same thread pattern or get a can with quick disconnect but the big break or flash hoder on the end of the deer rifle looks silly but I have them . A inexpensive option is the Rebel. Get the 338 can. They all come with thread adaptors for the different thread patterns. Light for the deer rifle. Long for brush but you can shorten it if you like.

Thank you for the feedback... any reason why I should justify spending more money? My purpose is long range precision hunting and the can would be for noise and recoil reduction and yes the rebel is huge lol so I guess smaller might be better suited

Thank you for the feedback... any reason why I should justify spending more money? My purpose is long range precision hunting and the can would be for noise and recoil reduction and yes the rebel is huge lol so I guess smaller might be better suited
the rebel 338 can is the same diameter as the 30 can just longer. I dont know how either will affect precision at long range. I expect they will both do the same job and the rebel is the best budget can I know of. My only hold back is how much do you shoot and how seriously do you shoot. I, " in my mind " think if I spend big money on high-end ammo and I count rounds in the 1 MOA or smaller at 700 plus? I may go with something higher end because In my mind there have been more shooters and time in the design to make sure it is repeatable and reliable but, in the same thought, it should be repeatable no matter what. for the 7mm mad I'd still go the 338 can, if it is too long and you like it shorter then you can adjust it down. I dont have enough long distance experience to know for sure.

the rebel 338 can is the same diameter as the 30 can just longer. I dont know how either will affect precision at long range. I expect they will both do the same job and the rebel is the best budget can I know of. My only hold back is how much do you shoot and how seriously do you shoot. I, " in my mind " think if I spend big money on high-end ammo and I count rounds in the 1 MOA or smaller at 700 plus? I may go with something higher end because In my mind there have been more shooters and time in the design to make sure it is repeatable and reliable but, in the same thought, it should be repeatable no matter what. for the 7mm mad I'd still go the 338 can, if it is too long and you like it shorter then you can adjust it down. I dont have enough long distance experience to know for sure.

Thank you again... my last question... trusts... do I need to actually establish a trust in order to pay the $25 for a trust or is this just a nominal fee as a means entirely as a trust in order to pass on let's say my son to this suppressor in the event I'm no longer around

the ultra seems to be popular here on this site. I have not shot one. We sell to a lot of military and some special ops guys. They like Silencerco and Dead air. some gemtech. All good brands. In the end, they all suppress, but some cost a lot more to do it, is it quality branding? I have an AAC on my 50 BMG , it is quiet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts