Gun Conversion

Archeryelk

I have a 700 Remington Varmint Special in 22-250 I have had for years. I had one of the best gunsmiths around go over it from end to end before it was ever fired. It shoots incredible. I don't use it near enough as I should but **** it will shot.

Could I rebore that gun for big game long range hunting? What calibers could I put in this action?

It is bull barrel fluted stainless in 26 or 28. Stainless/synthetic.

Archer

ArcherElk

I hope you are using an incorrect term. It is possible to "rebore" a smaller caliber barrel into a larger caliber. However it is expensive and normal accuracy is nothing to use for LR. I think you are talking rebarreling which will cost about $450-500.

If the gun shoots, then agree keep it as is, and just build a gun and caliber that you want. Decide if mag or not first.

Would not recommend taking a 700 now and building up a true LR gun. 3-4 new custom actions(Stiller, Borden, Lawson) have come out in the $600 range that are much tighter than a 700 but loose enough for hunting, yet they are cheaper than a trued and accurized 700 action. Can add mags or not, short or long actions etc. Much better action to really build on now.

BH

You can re-bore the barrel to any diameter that you want--that will use the same bolt, they just make the hole bigger...basically stick a larger drill down the barrel and widen it to the new caliber…

The other alternative is to have another barrel made for the gun, chambered in what ever caliber works for you and your action, this is called a switch-barrel gun...maybe get it in .264 Win, or .280 Rem etc. and use it as a antelope/sheep/deer gun...

both would end up about the same cost but the later gives you two (2) guns as opposed to one...

You could also sell your first barrel if you wanted...

Many barrels have been rebored and rifled to a larger caliber. But they seldom have best accuracy. Here's why.

When the boring and rifling tool enters and exits the hole, it's not well supported. This causes each end of the bore to bell out a bit. And these ends are a bit irregular in dimensions, too.

Good barrel makers always tell their customers to cut an inch off the front end to get rid of the oversize muzzle. The chambering reamer gets rid of the oversize breech end.

Archeryelk,

Just a tho't, depending on twist rate, hopefully its a fast twist rate, 1-9 or so, so that it may shoot heavier bullets, get that same "best gunsmith around" to Ackley Improve it. That could get you a bit longer ranges and enough bullet weight to be effective on a bit larger animal.

May be worth a visit/discussion with the smith. Who knows? Might be a consideration...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.