Gun Cases: Custom Cut or Universal?

GetReel

I got a bunch of gift cards to Scheels and I'm gonna splurge for a really nice gun case. I can't decide if I want one that I custom cut out or just an egg shell designed universal one?
For a little bit more money, get a double case??
I'd like to hear some input from you that have bought heavy cases and what direction you went and why. Or if you wish you did something different…?

Depends how you intend to use it I'd say.

I have both. Single gun hard case from Cabela's and Vault. The Vault is longer and bulkier. Also have a double Pelican with wheels. Traveled with two rifles and other items stuffed inside. Got pretty heavy! The Cabela's case gets the most use locally with camp an hour away. It has the twist type latches which I find annoying each time but is pretty slim and ridged.

I lust for a custom cut case, the Gunwerks case comes to mind, but I don't have one because I would want different inserts for each rifle. What a pain to store them in addition to the cases. A double custom cut case would be even sexier. I have a double hardside case, universal, sometimes I put two guns in it and sometimes one and the accessories needed. It gets heavy FAST, but it is really nice to have everything together. I find I use it way more for a single and everything else for that rifle case than a double case, and for me when I am packing it to be able to inventory visually and know I have everything I need is super nice. Go BIG on a single case or go double is my advice.

My buddy showed up with a Plano Pro Double Stack Side x Side case.
After checking it out... I bought one.
Waffle interior foam with a good hard plastic shell and easily stacks 2 scoped rifles securely.
For $75 its hard to beat.

Do you plan on taking a flight and have your firearm on the plane?
Make sure you get a good one. Baggage Handlers try to see how much damage they can do. I saw pictures of a case for two rifles at the airport. The barrels were protruding out one end.
We bought a case that had very good aluminum and made several trips to Europe & Africa with not a scratch on the rifles.
Pelican makes some good cases also.
If traveling buy the BEST.

Do you plan on taking a flight and have your firearm on the plane?
Make sure you get a good one. Baggage Handlers try to see how much damage they can do. I saw pictures of a case for two rifles at the airport. The barrels were protruding out one end.
We bought a case that had very good aluminum and made several trips to Europe & Africa with not a scratch on the rifles.
Pelican makes some good cases also.
If traveling buy the BEST.
Ablolutely!
If I'd be flying... I'd spend the money and buy one of the best to protect the investment!

I completely agree with the comments on weight. I have a closet full of cheap cases I've purchased over the years. I recently bought a single rifle Pelican Vault and cut the foam for a new rifle. I'm not sure if I would go this route again. The protective aspect of the Pelican is great and it has a "cool" factor to it, but it was a bit of a PITA to cut the foam and now I have another case to store. Traveling with an expensIve rifle buy the Pelican. Trips to the range or local hunts, light weight case is the way to go IMO.

FYI, Harbor Freight has some generic cases. Didn't really examine them, I just saw them on the shelf. But if you want to go the cheap route, probably worth checking out.

I got a bunch of gift cards to Scheels and I'm gonna splurge for a really nice gun case. I can't decide if I want one that I custom cut out or just an egg shell designed universal one?
For a little bit more money, get a double case??
I'd like to hear some input from you that have bought heavy cases and what direction you went and why. Or if you wish you did something different…?
Get a Pelican 1750. You can fit (2) full size scoped rifles with room to spare. You can cut out for specific rifles if you want but it limits your options and they aren't cheap. The foam holds the rifles plenty secure without boxing yourself in.

You could also buy extra foam and have several pre cut pieces for various rifles.

Pelican 1750 for me, I just bought extra foam from Amazon and cut inserts for multiple rifles so I know no matter where I am going my rifles are protected from just about anything. Definitely not the cheapest option but when there is $10,000 in rifles in a case cost shouldn't matter!