Guide question list

RemHutch50

i would like to put together a list of questions that I should ask when talking to a guide about taking a sheep hunt. Specifically Alaska if that matters.
I'm kinda ocd, so I will most likely make a word document with a list of questions (so I won't forget anything).

I would really appreciate yalls help in putting this together.
If you know of a list that already exists that would be helpful as well. But otherwise, y'all just chime in on what you think.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Not sure if by 'guide', you also mean 'outfitter', but, I'd ask for a list of unsuccessful hunters with phone numbers for the past 3 years. I'd then call those hunters and see if they would hunt with the same operation again, even though they didn't kill. If they say yes, it's more likely a good operation.

Not sure if by 'guide', you also mean 'outfitter', but, I'd ask for a list of unsuccessful hunters with phone numbers for the past 3 years. I'd then call those hunters and see if they would hunt with the same operation again, even though they didn't kill. If they say yes, it's more likely a good operation.

Yes, guide and outfitter I guess the same to me. Guess I need some help with terminology as well. Lol.

I think most of a list would be pretty personal. What may be important to me might not to you. Success rates? Shot opportunity rate? Level of physical fitness required? Hi and low temps? Expected weather? Style of hunting? Amount of game you should expect to see? Trophy quality?

I think most of a list would be pretty personal. What may be important to me might not to you. Success rates? Shot opportunity rate? Level of physical fitness required? Hi and low temps? Expected weather? Style of hunting? Amount of game you should expect to see? Trophy quality?
call my son Bo Morgan 928 202 8081 he gets it done

When folks ask for references from us we try to include a name from a bad trip. Thankfully we generally have to reach back a couple of years to find that person. I agree with WYOsteve if the trip didn't go great but they would book with the same guide and outfitters again, that speaks volumes.
Success rates are kinda tough and I don't go there really. I simply tell them I've never seen them fish, but there will be fish.
Similarly with the pheasant guiding I've never seen them shoot.
I think a question I would ask the references is what they would do differently then the outfitters if they owned the operation. Might give you insight into how well the outfit runs.

I just googled 'questions to ask potential hunting guide outfitter' and lots of great pages came up with ideas of things you could/should ask. I can't post links yet, but it should get you on the right track. As you read the questions, you can rate how important that 'item' is to you and figure out a list of questions that fit your desires in a hunt. Good luck!
This came from Craig Boddington's URL
  1. How long have you hunted your area?
  2. How big is the area, and who owns it?

3. Is it fenced or unfenced?

4. Are you fully licensed to guide/outfit in that jurisdiction?

5. What are your camps like?

6. How many other hunters will be in camp?

7. Who will guide me?

8. Do you belong to (profession associations)?

9. Do you have recent references?

10. What are my chances for success?

Good list, I would contact fish and game for the state or province, confirm license, complaints and any citations/ for what? One thing to be short a throwable life ring, quite another for poaching.

Another thing to try is getting a referral from another guide. Guide "A" can't accommodate you, ask him if he can recommend another guide, you simply can't wait until next year.
we routinely referred fishermen to few good operations.

I used Alaska Bush Adventures and had a great hunt. Nice bear and 62" moose. I enjoyed them a lot. It is not cheap to hunt Alaska. I took a .,338 win mag in a sub-moa Weatherby and Leupold Mark 4 scope. It rains a lot there. be prepared and work out thoroughly before you go. Good Hunting

I once had an Outfitter in Colorado place me with a "guide" who was a mechanic in Baltimore.
Find out as much as you can about the guide staff, qualifications, success rate, competency, and years of experience.

I would ask questions that would see how compatible you are with the guide. Being in the bush for an extended amount of time with only the guide to talk to can be a problem if you have conflicting personalities.

Success rates are important, but going on a special hunt can be a magical experience or hell, depending on who is sharing that experience. In other words, the experience of an unsuccessful hunt with the right guy may be better than a successful hunt with a jerk.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.