Grouping with an ES problem.

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
Thanks for your time guys,

I have just put a new barrel on a custom 300 wm and I have had my ES open up big time. From ~ 15 fps or less to ~ 50 fps or more. The funny thing is is that some of my most accurate loads/best groups (.5 MOA sometimes less) at 100 and 200 yds are the ones with the worst ES spreads. I guess for hunting that would still work bc a 50 fps. lose with what I shoot will be about 11 in. @ 1k yards and I would not shoot game past 800 yds. I do like to shoot out past a mile when I have great weather and with an ES like that it would be impossible to do with any accuracy.

Should I change my load completely? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Go ahead and shoot long range and see what it does. It's much easier than over- thinking it. Save your barrel life and have fun.

if your groups are not showing a lot of vertical because of the velocity ES , I'm guessing your chronograph is lying to you .

What's to show at 100 or 200 yards? I see it when I shoot past 1400 and 1700 yards much worse.

I just thought with groups that good at 100 and 200 yds. I wouldn't have much of an ES. Usually I am under 15 fps but not now....

What powder bullet and primer combo are you using. Also what temperature at range. H1000 has been very stable and accurate in mine.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts