ES group

Kgkimerer

ES is 64. Too large. 6.5/284. Lapua cases, CCI 200, 140 grain Sierra, 51 grains H4831. Hand weighing every load. Annealing every time. Tumbling every time. Same routine. I'm stumped

ES is more affected by having the proper load than all the best/worse reloading practices combined. After you find the correct load then you can worry about the minutia.

I went to federal match primers.....
es went to single digits...
Rl26..55gr...laupa brass...3.10"oal....2970fps
shot best at 55.7gr but heavy bolt....that was 3070fps...had to go down to 55gr to recover a good moa.....shoots okay..but not as good as 55.7....

ES is 64. Too large. 6.5/284. Lapua cases, CCI 200, 140 grain Sierra, 51 grains H4831. Hand weighing every load. Annealing every time. Tumbling every time. Same routine. I'm stumped

case fill plays a big part on low Es. I run 4831sc in a 7 mm mag and Es is 20 but it shoots crazy accurate out to the range I am comfortable for me to shoot game. 600 yards. Now I can take h1000 and rl 23 and get single digits spread but not as good as groups. Not bad but just better with 4831. I've chased Es before and it's fine but at end of the day I go with which one shoots the best at the distance.
I will tell u I've seen primers, consistent primer holes, cases being the same weight or brand along with consistent neck tension play a big key in to tighten Es up or down In the 30 years I've reloaded.

With you running Lapua it will rule out cheap brass and primer holes uniformity out so I would play with primers, neck tension (.001,.002,.003) and a powder that may fill up case more

Only think I would change would be primers. I go with BR2's in my 6.5-284 and Retumbo. I've done this with 140's up through the 156 Berger and ES is usually less than 20fps with SD's in the single digits.
I run most of my loads .010" off but with the 156's they are lightly jammed/touching and they shoot really good for me.
I don't anneal as often as you but it's usually every 4 - 5 firings with the Norma brass I'm currently running. I don't like it as good as Lapua but it's what I have for now. It's good but softer than Lapua. Soon as it starts to open up I'll probably toss it and get Lapua. I've used Lapua before in this chambering, different barrel, and it's the best, no question.
Not sure tumbling every time is necessary but if that's what you feel is needed, go for it.
Do you FL resize, neck size or just bump the shoulder back? Standard dies or bushing dies? What rifle/barrel are you using?

What are you hand weighing your load on?

How do you seat your primers?

Most importantly, how did you come up with your load?

Ancient Pacific balance scale. Trickling the last grain. Primers seated with a Lee hand primer. Developed the lad with OCW and a chronograph.
Weird thing. It's very accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.