Group Hunt Load Workup Thread

backyardsniper

Thought I'd start this one just for fun along with maybe a group hunt workout check in thread.
So I settled on a rifle for the 2020 group hunt
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/fs-deviant-manners-proof-big-bore-blowout.6950266/
She should be here about Wednesday, now I've owned several different lapuas, only one with a carbon barrel and it was an epic failure. I'm most likely gonna run the 270 eld-x or the 300 Berger maybe OTM maybe elite hunter, hence the load workup thread. I've always been a Lapua brass, H1000 guy but I hear that the RL33 is all the rage now. I suppose also that I'll shoot up some of the factory ammo that I got with this to get the brass which will also be a new adventure since I've never used Federal brand 338 brass, not sure what if any difference that will make. So feel free to join in guys with your elk load work up info, suggestions for my rifle set up. Particularly if anyome has tried that 230gr eld-x. That one kind of interests me too. Lots of speed available with that bullet in the lapua case and since we're really only looking at ballistics out to 800-1000yd max it would allow for more ranging/wind call error in field conditions inside those range limitations. Maybe?
Let's here what you got!

Man I'd load some hammers I. That thing. For your distance I would also go lighter as speed is king at shorter distance. I plan on loading some light hammer for my lapua for exactly what you are talking about.
I want a light ish .338 with some speed. I've got the big heavies for over 1000. That being said I tend to get as close as possible for trophy hunting. And by that I mean any animals in not culling. Pigs mainly. But rarely can I not get into a closer range.

Those are definitely an option that I'll try. I have had bad luck with them in the past but you know every gun is different. The 250 bergers that is. Haven't considered the hammers. Got to look into those

I was a lead only guy for so long. Then tried the Barnes in smaller calibers for hogs. They worked ok. Then I found cutting edge which I thought were best of both worlds. They worked fine. Then because the hammer guys got such a rap for being honest I had to try them. He even gave up a large .375 cal order from me cause they had a small issue out past 1500 yards so I had to use cutting edge for the first set. So I tried them in my 6.6 creed and the didn't let me down. They are now in almost all my hunting rifles.
Super easy to load for and work great on game.

Man I'd load some hammers I. That thing. For your distance I would also go lighter as speed is king at shorter distance. I plan on loading some light hammer for my lapua for exactly what you are talking about.
I want a light ish .338 with some speed. I've got the big heavies for over 1000. That being said I tend to get as close as possible for trophy hunting. And by that I mean any animals in not culling. Pigs mainly. But rarely can I not get into a closer range.
I load the 213 gr Hammer Hunter in my 338 Lapua. Fantastic accuracy and good velocity. I'm getting 3250 fps using RL26. That bullet destroyed a Kodiak Island mountain goat this past October. Blew through both shoulders and liquified the vitals. I've switched over to Hammer bullets in all my different cartridges. I won't hunt with any other bullet now.

I'm not a federal brass fan if it's like there other brass its soft you may wanna use Lapua brass.

Thought I'd start this one just for fun along with maybe a group hunt workout check in thread.
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/fs-deviant-manners-proof-big-bore-blowout.6950266/
She should be here about Wednesday, now I've owned several different lapuas, only one with a carbon barrel and it was an epic failure. I'm most likely gonna run the 270 eld-x or the 300 Berger maybe OTM maybe elite hunter, hence the load workup thread. I've always been a Lapua brass, H1000 guy but I hear that the RL33 is all the rage now. I suppose also that I'll shoot up some of the factory ammo that I got with this to get the brass which will also be a new adventure since I've never used Federal brand 338 brass, not sure what if any difference that will make. So feel free to join in guys with your elk load work up info, suggestions for my rifle set up. Particularly if anyome has tried that 230gr eld-x. That one kind of interests me too. Lots of speed available with that bullet in the lapua case and since we're really only looking at ballistics out to 800-1000yd max it would allow for more ranging/wind call error in field conditions inside those range limitations. Maybe?
Let's here what you got!
I bought a new .338 lapua in a Weatherby Tac Mark a couple of months back and in hurry to try it out I bought Federal 250 gr. Just to get some quick brass to really play with it until I could better brass which wasn't available. I found that after the first firing approximately 50% maybe a little more virtually had to be POUNDED into the shellholder. I took the gun quickly to a Top Notch Smith to check head space on my new gun. Was told it was 100% as I expected nothing less from Weatherby... especially costing 6000.00 +. So...please let me know if you happen to have the same experience. Un- fired shells slide in like they should. Soft brass? I don't know but this is the first time I've experienced this with any other caliber....ever! And I have a bunch of them.

Sounds like I'll pass the factory ammo along to a factory ammo shooter or save it for a rainy day. I might use the half box I have coming for break in and just toss the brass and then buy a 100pack of lapua brand ans be done with it.

Let's here what you got!
Let's here what you got!
P.S. to my first reply...sorry..285 ELD MATCH. and H1000....having great results to 800 yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.