Grizzly 10mm’s: FN 510 (or other non safety auto 10’s) vs Smith and Wesson m&p 2.0 with safety

redchinviking

I will be headed to the MT unlimited units this fall into some high density grizz country and subsequently am in the market for a good 10mm auto polymer and had decided on the FN510 for a good host of reasons. Had one on layaway at my local gun shop when a friend of mine mentioned it's a good idea to have the smith and Wesson m&p 2.0 with safety because you can pack it in a kydex holder with one in the chamber on safety and be ready to go on a fast encounter with mr/mrs grizz. For those of you that are versed in packing 10mm's in the grizz backcountry:
  • Does having a safety weigh in your decision?
  • Would you feel comfortable packing in steep terrain with a round in the chamber on a kydex chest holster (under bino harness)?
  • Did you ever wish you had one in the chamber when you didn't?
  • Am I overthinking this?! (Usually)
  • Are there any other polymer 10's with safeties?
  • Other considerations?
The S&W is 5oz lighter than the FN and with the price difference I am strongly considering switching but I like the reputation, features, and ergos of the FN more. Help steer me to the right decision.

I have the Smith & Wesson 2.0,15 round 10 mm with a safety.Where the safety is placed it's so natural to hit the safety to off position.
I am familiar with the FN firearms but liked the feel of the S&W better.
Hold both as everyone's hands are different and yours may like the FN better.
I carried a 45acp Glock for bear protection with FMJ with no safety and didn't feel handicapped.
Just my opinion

I carry a Glock 20 when I go to Montana, about every other year.
I run a drop leg holster from safariland but I always keep one in chamber no questions asked. I also run a tlr-1 HL light on it due to some stuff that happened in camp one night while sleeping and being able to grab a gun quickly but panicking trying to find a light as limbs are crashing all around our tents.

Buy the gun you feels best in hand but make sure you run it hard with the ammo you plan on using because 10mm can vary vastly from a light loaded 180 RN to a 220 hard cast load for bear.

This makes me feel a bit naive. Do most people carry non safety equipped autos in their holsters chambered?
I would say yes.

Not much more than a hunk of polymer and metal without one in the chamber. Will have to remember to chamber one in the heat of the moment and not panic. And if you have time.

I have a Glock in 10mm.

This makes me feel a bit naive. Do most people carry non safety equipped autos in their holsters chambered?
Everybody I know does. All modern autos of quality manufacture are drop safe, so there should be no chance of discharge unless you pull the trigger. With a proper retention holster, the gun shouldn't come out until you want it to. If you're at the point you need to draw and fire your sidearm quickly, you want as few impediments in the way as possible. That includes a safety. Practice with it, keep your finger off the trigger, and a safety is irrelevant. They're necessary on single actions like a 1911, but they're largely vestigial on modern autos.

Are you not packing a rifle? Or is this a archery hunt.I never pack with rifle, unless im sitting on a horse,I don't want to get thrown and walk out naked.I also front carry if its thick grizzly or like this spring I followed a grizzly in bear hunting for blacky

I won't have the tag on this hunt, just there to learn the area and for support. My buddy packed out my sheep last year and I will be there to pack out his. Good to know I shouldn't be too concerned with the safety, the fn feels much better to me than the s&W. Hoping to get into a self defense class here locally before the hunt because I know I have a lot to learn. I have shot two bears btw (black of course), one with my bow and one with my rifle, both of which were under twenty yards (one at 5yds) charging towards me. So I understand the importance of readiness:) just don't understand what is common practice in backcountry carry.

Last edited:
I think smiths have trouble with heavy hard cast loads such as underwood or buffalo bore. I've saw it in one and after some research that was the general consensus

I won't have the tag on this hunt, just there to learn the area and for support. My buddy packed out my sheep last year and I will be there to pack out his. Good to know I shouldn't be too concerned with the safety, the fn feels much better to me than the s&W. Hoping to get into a self defense class here locally before the hunt because I know I have a lot to learn. I have shot two bears btw (black of course), one with my bow and one with my rifle, both of which were under twenty yards (one at 5yds) charging towards me. So I understand the importance of readiness:) just don't understand what is common practice in backcountry carry.
If your not hunting, I would be packing a short barreled shotgun with slugs vs a handgun.

Anytime I'm in the woods if I'm carrying an auto instead of a revolver, there is one the chamber.