Grendel?

I've had a Grendel for about five years now. Always been very impressed with it's accuracy compared to other small frame ARs. This year is the first year in the woods and my son has taken a nice hog and deer with it so far, excellent results with Hornady black. He's pretty much laid claim to it so I guess I need to build another. I have had one magazine fail, follower broke but that happens.

Perhaps he has an attitude toward Alexander Arms?
I like the Grendel. Have two. Same goes for the 6.8 SPC.
Les Baer also had a problem paying the 'Royalties" to AA so he created the .264 LBC-AR. Uses the same boltface as a 7.62x39. I have a Black Hole barrel that is chambered in .264 LBC-AR and it will shoot factory (which I just use to get brass if needed for reloading) ammo just fine.
AA just copyrighted the name "6.5 Grendel" (which is basically a 6 PPC case necked up to 6.5-.264) and charges people a fee to use the name.

I wished that Winchester introduced the .358 Legend. One could fire .35 Remington at supersonic speeds, and the 250 grainers at subsonic, it would have been the way to go! 🤔

Is there a reason to suspect any Grendel cartridge? I have had a barrel maker tell me that he wont do barrels for the Grendel cartridge. Maybe I am misinterpreting his comments, but the word he used was "wont" so it sounds like it is a decision based on some evidence.
The gunsmith may not have the reamer and the Grendel II chamber is the one you want. AR builds suffer from possible bolt failure as previously stated which is overcome by using a quality bolt. A bolt action will obviously not have this issue. I get about 2250 fps with 130 gr Berger OTM in 18" in. barrel on an AR.

Is there a reason to suspect any Grendel cartridge? I have had a barrel maker tell me that he wont do barrels for the Grendel cartridge. Maybe I am misinterpreting his comments, but the word he used was "wont" so it sounds like it is a decision based on some evidence.
You could probably get a correct answer to your question, if you ask the one person that knows- the "barrel maker"...

The 6.5 Grendel has been Saami approved since 2013. Anybody can now make barrels without paying royalties. All new barrels called 6.5 Grendel use the type 2 .136 recess bolt now unless otherwise stated.

I've got 3 Grendels. A Howa bolt gun and an AR pistol and AR rifle. Even the 12.5" pistol will hold MOA out to 300, the rifles do even better. Absolutely love the cartridge! I've used it exclusively this year as my deer hunting go to. 4 deer in 2 states and only one has taken a step. As others have said the "Type II" Grendel (.136 bolt recess) is about the only one being made these days, at least to my limited knowledge. If building an AR, just make sure your bolt matches your barrel. It may not be considered a Long Range round, but it can reach out and touch things when needed. I have no reservations about recommending it as a great low recoil, 600 yards deer rifle in either platform.

My nephew guides hunters at a U S Military Base here in SC... His deer getter is Palmetto Arms in 6.5 Grendel. He also lends his 6.5 Grendel to select hunters. l don't know his handload. My prairie dog buddy from Canton Tx shoots an AR in 6.5 Grendel. He uses it on hogs, deer, coyotes, and whatever else comes in his sights. He sent me a picture last month of a really nice Texas Whitetail, scored 144 4/8 B&C points. l guess he's killed a dozen hogs over the last couple seasons. Biggest was app 500pounds. He shoots Nosler factory ammo loaded with AccuBonds. Longest shot was 150yds plus. The big hog got an EXTRA AccuBond. My friend Kenny Jarrett builds quite a few ARs in 6.5 Grendel. l saw a couple 6.5 ''house guns'' he made for some Govt Agency with 11.5'' barrels. Using his Subsonic Suppressed ammo they are sweet shooting guns. He's @(803)471-3616 in Jackson SC..
6.5 seems to be one of those Perfect Calibers... DBWM Bell used a 6.5 Swede on elephants to the tune of around 3000! My Nephew's POP brought a 6.5Jap Arisaka home from the Pacific... l don't see how the Emperor's soldiers handled those 6.5s in the jungle with a 30'' barrel and a long bayonet. They must have loved those 6.5s tho. Some would even stick the barrel in their MOUTHS

ps. President John Kennedy met his demise from 6.5Carcano carbine and a 4x Weaver.
ltalian 6.5s have an unusual Gain Twist Barrel. l dont know much about a gain twist. BAM BAM has a 10.5'' gain twist barrel. My S&W 460 Magnum PC revolver rifling is Crazy looking in that barrel

Last edited:
my question is how does the barrel maker know if the barrel will be used on a grendel or a .264 win mag or any other 6.5 offerings the gunsmith threading and chambering will know but not the barrel maker

Most ar barrels come prechambered as the barrel extension must be installed and headspaced. Once the barrel extension is installed it is what it is. Thats why its best to buy the bolt from the barrel maker so they can set the headspace with that bolt. Theoretically since everything is made to milspec standards having out of spec headspace is a rarity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.