AR 6.5 Grendel Trigger

jgleas114

I built this rifle about a year ago and finally got around to shooting it this morning. It's an 18" LaRue Match Grade upper on a Aero Precision lower. I have a Meopta Optika 6 2.5x15 44mm SFP scope. The glass was an extra I had but it fits the rifle and my application quite well. Originally I built this for my wife and kids to shoot but I really enjoyed shooting this rifle this morning. Shoots MOA, very little recoil, BUT ( and its a big BUT) the trigger is absolute garbage. A ton of gritty travel and breaks at, what feels like, 6 lbs. This will most likley be my new whitetail rifle. I need help with a trigger. I shot a 2 stage while at the range and that was a first for me. I really liked it and could see it being beneficial for hunting.

So what do you recommend for a trigger? Keep in mind I am building a separate rifle for long distance shooting.

I have a few different triggers, LaRue mbt-2s, Geissel SSAE, palmetto EPT, a Timney drop in, and a few mil specs.
If you have a Dremel and are willing to do some polishing (not grinding) you can do wonders to most stock triggers. However, for the price and effort the LaRue will be the ones I buy from now on for a 2 stage. And for single stage I will polish a decent brands milspec trigger.

I have used almost everything in my ARs over the years. Can't go wrong with Geissle, but expensive. My personal "bang for the buck" favorite is the HiperFire Elite or Reflex, which is what I run in most of my "accuracy" ARs. Best bang for the budget is probably the Larue MBT--I have several of those as well and they all perform flawlessly.

Last edited:
Geissle saa e. Around holidays you can find it on sale. The rock river national match is not a bad trigger either.