Grendel?

I shot the 6.5 Grendel in as F-Class shooters clinic at the Arizona SWN; so hitting a target at 1K with a 12" barrel with consistency is hard to believe. I believe the Grendel is an effective cartridge to a maximum of 300 yards on game animals and 600 yards for F-Class based on an AR platform 18" barrel.
I run a 1-8 lpvo on my Grendel and can hit a plate at 500 with boring ease. The accuracy of the Grendel has been impressive. I'm getting 2550 out of an 18" barrel with Hornady black ammo.
It's a game killer too. Six animals down with it I've the past two seasons.

Op if you want one find a gunsmith that isn't afraid of it. You won't regret it, especially in a bolt gun platform.

Last edited:
I shot the 6.5 Grendel in as F-Class shooters clinic at the Arizona SWN; so hitting a target at 1K with a 12" barrel with consistency is hard to believe. I believe the Grendel is an effective cartridge to a maximum of 300 yards on game animals and 600 yards for F-Class based on an AR platform 18" barrel.
Bragging rights when one out of 8 shots were a hit. (Steel target at S Hills Range is 40x40") Imagine my surprise, Not expecting that bullet to b very accurate in trans sonic mode, it wasn't. F class shooter also with 284. So i understand you r calling me out on BS. No hard feelings, just saying fun cartridge, that can do surprising things.

Bragging rights when one out of 8 shots were a hit. (Steel target at S Hills Range is 40x40") Imagine my surprise, Not expecting that bullet to b very accurate in trans sonic mode, it wasn't. F class shooter also with 284. So i understand you r calling me out on BS. No hard feelings, just saying fun cartridge, that can do surprising things.
Accurate statement; other shooters were looking to see if I had keyholes or round ones; Mr. Litz designed a very stable bullet for Berger as for they were all round, thus not tumbling. I use a 280 Ackley for F-Class now if we ever see primers again. I am afraid to shoot more that a .22 LR these days so I can keep the primers and ammunition I do have on hand. I am sure you too are on every back-order list too.

Time for me to respond. This is a very lot of information. As the OP, it is an overwhelming answer. I now understand why the barrel maker felt he had to refuse to make it. I dont necessarily think he is right, however. But the information revealed here means I am going to look into it more and find a barrel maker that will make one for me. My experience with the 6.5 was that it was very accurate out to 955 yrds It was accurate and consistent. I couldn't shoot any further because that was the longest range available for me. But at 955 on a 10" plate, it seemed easy.

Also the post above about the bolts is backwards. The type I is the standard 7.62 x39 AR bolt which has a .125 recess. The type 2 bolt which is more common now is .136 depth. A grendel saami chamber will use the .136 bolt.

When I harvested my 23 inch AR Grendel barrel from a 26 inch take off bolt gun 6.5x47 barrel, I machined a couple of used GI M16 bolts for the 0.135 deep bolt to headspace with. I figure if I ever shear any lugs I have a spare, worst case I could always modify a couple more.

I bought the Grendel extractor.

This is what the repurposed barrel did first time out. The load is 31.4, not 31.9 as my buddy interpreted my note. Target is NRA SR target, range is 200 yards. PoA for the 2 groups were the # 8s on both sides of the black

I used a BAT Machine 1.000 barrel extension that is .300 longer and .8125x20 instead of the standard .8125x16 thread. The BAT BE mated nicely to a heat to fit Bravo Co blem upper receiver

Attachments

• 20200710_170754.jpg
    20200710_170754.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20201025-121144_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025-121144_Gallery.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.