Greetings from the Canadian prairies where the biggest bucks roam

Ryfulman

Hey guys.
Figured I'd introduce myself. I live in Saskatchewan. Great hunting here. Not sure if the record still stands but at one point the biggest buck ever shot was taken about an hour from where I live.
Been out these past 2 weekends trying to help a farmer with a pig problem,ended up with 2 coyotes instead.
I've got a few rifles. I'm kinda into older military surplus and have a Swiss k-31 that is numbers matching made in 58,a Russian sks made in 55. The k-31 is a tack driver and the surplus ammo is fantastic. Can't hunt with it though.
I've got a mossberg 30-30 lever action and just bought a tc dimension in the 7mm win mag flavour.
Now that is an unbelievable gun. Easily the best gun I've ever shot and easily comparable to a Remington 700 for accuracy. I had never heard of Thompson center til a month ago,now I can't get enough info on them.
I don't know what kind of unicorn dust they use when building thes things but at 200 yards I'm covering 2 shot groups with a nickel and at 300 they all fit Under a quarter.
Best I could do with the k-31 at 300 was 2 inches however I've since learned those guns can be optimized by adjusting the bore harmonics using a folded up piece of paper and using it under the barrel in different places til I find the sweet spot. So this weekend I'll be testing the theory.
I'm also picking up a reloading press this weekend so I'll be hand loading. I noticed the reloader a forum which hopefully I'll be able to find threads about the 7mm rem mag and how guys have tuned their loads.
Anyways thanks for having me

I'm not a trophy hunter. I eat em,so the rack isn't important to me. Not that I'd mind a huge rack.
They are well fed around here. There was a record holder shot in Borden maybe 10 years ago,I'm sure someone has tagged something bigger since. 10 years is a lot of hunting time.

Anyways thanks for having me. Heading out to our acreage. There were a few bucks and a handful of does spotted up there yesterday so I'm hoping they haven't moved on.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.