Great Podcast on terminal performance.

Huntnful

Give it a listen if you have time. Tons of calibrated ballistic gel testing and field testing info.

IMG_9274.jpeg

Being led to water......

That one is worth listening to and hitting replay.

Turns out properly calibrated 10% organic ballistic gelatin test with multiple substrates does mean something. Who knew? Haha.

Now with the knowledge provided by that podcast, go peruse the Hornady LE website. They provided ballistic gel tests (per fbi protocols) for all of their LE rounds (hint...they're mostly ELDM)

Last edited by a moderator:
Being led to water......

That one is worth listening to and hitting replay.

Turns out properly calibrated 10% organic ballistic gelatin test with multiple substrates does mean something. Who knew? Haha.

Now with the knowledge provided by that podcast, go peruse the Hornady LE website. They provided ballistic gel tests (per fbi protocols) for all of their LE rounds (hint...they're mostly ELDM)

That is an AWESOME link! Holy smokes, what a wealth of testing and data!

Gday @Huntnful
Thanks for sharing that as some great information on that podcast that's for sure

Personally it's funny how those numbers ( I'm talking impact velocities ) ring a bell although I guarantee a few will not like them & numbers of critters needed also are a good indication of some sound advice along with description of the wounds 👍
I loved they way he explained pulling back the layers yes it's needed to understand what's going on
The rubber band I liked that analogy as made a lot of sense to me & not thought of it that way also a few other things I'd not thought of or heard
But to me I had a big chuckle when he forgot that big word as now we have a normal person I can relate to I thought 🤣

Seriously It's something I suggest all should listen to but step back a touch first as some head clearing will be needed before a lot of that stuff sinks in but it's fundamentally from a good base

Finally I've had someone explain ( for me as I'm slow on the uptake sometimes) that gel is a waste of time ( I've always stated it gives us non realistic results when compared to critters but good visuals & 20% stuff I was always wary of those who used that stuff as it didn't make sense what they tried to justify it did ) but that ordnance stuff is the go by the sounds of it but a headache to do properly so we will have to learn to either interpret gel better or take more notice of the critters we shoot or just trust the companies
The choice will be individual no doubt

Energy I'll leave that alone as that's where it should be 🤣

Impact to tip 👍

Paunch shots 🤔

Lucky he's not on here from a ethical point on his beliefs on maximum ranges we should shoot critters @ or he would be hounded down im sure

Lead particles only travel 2-3 in from projectile path that was interesting & information I had not heard

Plastic tips pooping out , that was funny yep I chuckle @ stupid things like this but liked it although I wish it included the alloy ones or I missed it cause my cows played up a bit in the dairy 🤷‍♂️ & also on the different types of plastic would have been nice but man a lot of good information to let sink in

That's all I can remember & may listen to it again but others be warned it's around 2 hrs long

Yep if you disagree or agree the base is very sound & good to listen to
Thanks for posting once again
Cheers

Gday @Huntnful
Thanks for sharing that as some great information on that podcast that's for sure

Personally it's funny how those numbers ( I'm talking impact velocities ) ring a bell although I guarantee a few will not like them & numbers of critters needed also are a good indication of some sound advice along with description of the wounds 👍
I loved they way he explained pulling back the layers yes it's needed to understand what's going on
The rubber band I liked that analogy as made a lot of sense to me & not thought of it that way also a few other things I'd not thought of or heard
But to me I had a big chuckle when he forgot that big word as now we have a normal person I can relate to I thought 🤣

Seriously It's something I suggest all should listen to but step back a touch first as some head clearing will be needed before a lot of that stuff sinks in but it's fundamentally from a good base

Finally I've had someone explain ( for me as I'm slow on the uptake sometimes) that gel is a waste of time ( I've always stated it gives us non realistic results when compared to critters but good visuals & 20% stuff I was always wary of those who used that stuff as it didn't make sense what they tried to justify it did ) but that ordnance stuff is the go by the sounds of it but a headache to do properly so we will have to learn to either interpret gel better or take more notice of the critters we shoot or just trust the companies
The choice will be individual no doubt

Energy I'll leave that alone as that's where it should be 🤣

Impact to tip 👍

Paunch shots 🤔

Lucky he's not on here from a ethical point on his beliefs on maximum ranges we should shoot critters @ or he would be hounded down im sure

Lead particles only travel 2-3 in from projectile path that was interesting & information I had not heard

Plastic tips pooping out , that was funny yep I chuckle @ stupid things like this but liked it although I wish it included the alloy ones or I missed it cause my cows played up a bit in the dairy 🤷‍♂️ & also on the different types of plastic would have been nice but man a lot of good information to let sink in

That's all I can remember & may listen to it again but others be warned it's around 2 hrs long

Yep if you disagree or agree the base is very sound & good to listen to
Thanks for posting once again
Cheers
I agree with everything you said also. Lots of good explanations and analogies in there!

Yup, lots of good 'nuggets' in there, thanks for posting @Huntnful

I'd not come across the shoot to hunt podcast before.
It's a good podcast. Fun to listen too and good knowledge to be gained also!

The 147 gr. ELD Match bullet with Heat Shield tip delivers excellent terminal performance and results in higher retained velocities, less drop, less wind drift, and more energy on target.

The 300 PRC 225 ELD® Match TAP Precision® was designed and adopted to fulfill a specific need within the Department of Defense by increasing hit probability and providing exceptional terminal performance from 0 – 2000 yards.

crazy how eldms do in fact mention terminal performance when the curtain is pulled back. Even if they aren't "hunting" bullets

The 147 gr. ELD Match bullet with Heat Shield tip delivers excellent terminal performance and results in higher retained velocities, less drop, less wind drift, and more energy on target.

The 300 PRC 225 ELD® Match TAP Precision® was designed and adopted to fulfill a specific need within the Department of Defense by increasing hit probability and providing exceptional terminal performance from 0 – 2000 yards.

crazy how eldms do in fact mention terminal performance when the curtain is pulled back. Even if they aren't "hunting" bullets
I read those exact excerpts and thought the same thing. They are killing machines.

Gday
be interesting to hear from the mono companies
& we need to break those down in 2 styles as I've been trying to do for sometime here without much luck so I hope this podcast reinforces that part & was waiting for those people to understand what's going on
So I only know of 3 mono company people
( @nralifer ,@RockyMtnMT & @Samantha-CEB ) on here as apex has left I believe but if more exsist id suggest tagging them as always interesting hearing the other side of the coin as it has huge merit when those companies get it right & im not putting anyone on top or anyone style as I'll let ea individual make one's mind up so I'm being as diplomatic here as I can & just trying to get more people to understand it's a bit wider than one thinks yet extremely simple when you grasp it
So once again clear one's mind & look @ the base line then move forward with that

For me my mind is clear but still more to learn
Yep I'm still pushing companies for better pills based on My data sheets which started around 30 years ago & that man is so correct on we need numbers to see what & where a pill does it's thing

So I really say to people it's just like bingo that can have 2 sides of the coin yes great when it works but bingo is not good when your numbers called out yep is one to avoid if we can help it
That's a broad statement so not directed @Wyo37 as I've used bingo raffle for a longtime

But let's keep this in reality you can pick him apart & if I took this on board / heard it correctly ( correct me if I'm wrong & no offence ) so as in gel with a Barnes the pill opens on impact or shortly after yet on the fictional elk it didn't open till towards the end of its penetration path path

& totally open here I can be pulled apart also on my theories as I don't know everything or even a lot in the big picture but I'll back my position up with factual results off the numbers he spoke of & more .
I'll bow out of this thread as i don't want to derail as I think it's more important to listen to that guy & what he is using as a base of the system that kills as that's the key here not what brand is what it's the system/procedure that kills
Yes it's only part of the fascinating world of terminal & by the likes of this guy ( never heard of him but I know by how he speaks he knows his stuff not the ones who read others work & relay as theirs no he's the real deal imo ) along with Nathan foster , frackler , rathcoombe etc we can learn more & understand what pill will suit our needs & tomorrows pill I look forward to seeing yes room for improvements on all but that's me ea do what one likes

No proof read sorry but probably makes no difference lol
Cheers

I will say this - a bullet in general does not open more as it penetrates. It will reach its terminal shape very quickly because velocity is highest. There is a reason we have minimal impact velocities. So the main guy/expert talking who says a barnes penetrates feet and only had that "pretty expansion" in last 3-5" is pretty suspect.

Lou

Yes it's only part of the fascinating world of terminal & by the likes of this guy ( never heard of him but I know by how he speaks he knows his stuff not the ones who read others work & relay as theirs no he's the real deal imo ) along with Nathan foster , frackler , rathcoombe etc we can learn more & understand what pill will suit our needs & tomorrows pill I look forward to seeing yes room for improvements on all but that's me ea do what one likes

No proof read sorry but probably makes no difference lol
Cheers

'Form' goes by Formidilosus over on Frank's forum. He's a moderator on Ryan's forum too I think. He shares a lot of the testing he does and is a real credit to the community in my view. Seems to keep his commercial affiliations out of it for the most part, which I appreciate.

Seeme like the Shoot 2 Hunt podcast may be a rokslide production..?

'Form' goes by Formidilosus over on Frank's forum. He's a moderator on Ryan's forum too I think. He shares a lot of the testing he does and is a real credit to the community in my view. Seems to keep his commercial affiliations out of it for the most part, which I appreciate.

Seeme like the Shoot 2 Hunt podcast may be a rokslide production..?
I think it's Ryan and the unknown munitions guys, some of the podcasts are good some I can't listen through. But I think what they are doing is good for the community and industry