Gravity effects on bullets

Barbourcreek

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Thoughts on gravity effects and projectiles at longer ranges at different altitudes? currently testing this in my new app Eagle Ballistics

I believe 140 grain becomes a 139.94 grain at 100000 feet. Not enough to matter under 2000 yards vertical ?

Update: all figured out. Thanks. My ballistic silver Eagle Ballistics is being tested with my calculations. Thanks for your input. Once proven I will share my information.

Attachments

• IMG_7909.png
    IMG_7909.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7908.png
    IMG_7908.png
    29 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I remember seeing in a video, that if you hold a bullet at muzzle height and drop it at the same time you shoot a bullet from the rifle with the barrel perfectly level, both bullets (the one dropped and the one shot) will hit the ground at the same time. Gravity has an equal effect on it whether it is doing 2000 fps or not. I don't think altitude will have any effect on this theory either.

Not sure I understand what you're specifically asking here, as it was a bit hard to follow. Not sure if you're talking 2000yds vertical, or vertical dispersion at 2000yds.

Every variable matters, and that is especially true at 2,000yds.

Whether you're shooting small enough to have this not get lost in the white noise, will be fairly easy to determine.

Having done a little bit of weight sorting at normal lower elevations, I can tell you that it's likely to be lost in the white noise. Length sorting bullets proved far more fruitful.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I remember seeing in a video, that if you hold a bullet at muzzle height and drop it at the same time you shoot a bullet from the rifle with the barrel perfectly level, both bullets (the one dropped and the one shot) will hit the ground at the same time. Gravity has an equal effect on it whether it is doing 2000 fps or not. I don't think altitude will have any effect on this theory either.
Sounds like a good test.....but whom are you going to get to hold and drop that bullet at 'the spot' the fired bullet is supposed to hit......

Its true to a point. Over a relatively short duration it works because other forces are not given time to impart differing affects on each projectile. My high school science teacher had a machine that flung one ball bearing at the same time it dropped another "identical" bearing. they both impacted the floor at the same time.

Its true to a point. Over a relatively short duration it works because other forces are not given time to impart differing affects on each projectile. My high school science teacher had a machine that flung one ball bearing at the same time it dropped another "identical" bearing. they both impacted the floor at the same time.
maybe if the bullet that is fired leaves teh barrel completely horizontally, but if shot at a target, you are shooting it upwards. Plus twist will keep it afloat a little longer, and aerodynamic jump will give it another boost.
with long range flight times at 1 secon +, that bullet dropped by hand will have bounced a couple of times already. Fun stuff to ponder.

I'm p
maybe if the bullet that is fired leaves teh barrel completely horizontally, but if shot at a target, you are shooting it upwards. Plus twist will keep it afloat a little longer, and aerodynamic jump will give it another boost.
with long range flight times at 1 secon +, that bullet dropped by hand will have bounced a couple of times already. Fun stuff to ponder.
i got all done thanks. Solver is testing it this week

My point exactly. It would likely be indistinguishable to our visual senses out to a couple/few hundred yards. Even if you had the ability to drop a bullet several thousand feet, wind, air density, wind resistance and many other factors would affect its rate of fall, not to mention the forces exerted on the fired bullet that you stated.

For all practical purposes the acceleration of gravity on planet earth is 32 ft per second, per second. The unit of mass derived from that is called a "slug". Get beyond earth's gravity pull and things become weightless. I have no plans for shooting extra-terrestrial targets.

Terminal gravitational velocities would be dependent on many other factors.

I suppose that if you are using the scenario where the bullet is fired at a slightly upward angle, you could figure out where the bullet would be at the top of the trajectory arc (how much it rises above the line of sight), and "drop" the hand held bullet from that height at the moment the rifle is fired. Then I think both bullets would hit the ground at the same time.

Last edited: