Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting

Why don't we just put the cost of business in the price and get away from tip culture?

Seems like an antiquated tradition that has gotten out of hand. It used to be you tipped when you got above average service; now everyone demands it.
That is one reason I enjoyed Europe (which I did when assigned there and then when I went back as a tourist)....people were paid a living wage. No tip expected, however you could round up your bill to the nearest euro.

When I went to Africa, I asked my PH what was a tip that he would be happy with amd was generous, he told me $250-300 for him amd another $200 to tip the others involved would be generous and would make him happy on a $5500 hunt package that I shot 2 extra animals for an extra $1000 on. I tipped 500 to be split up. He was happy. 10% seems to be the norm on fishing charters too.

Well, that's what YOU valued your services, expertise at....$3.00/hr.....your customer merely agreed with your self valuation, accepted your offer. Manage YOU, Inc like the business it is. Deliver goods.services to those willing and able to pay for same at pricing you agree upon. Exceed expectations in the eyes of the customer, position yourself in customer's value system for a tip Otherwise, get the base pay for the base service agreed upon. Simple Business 101..
If it was only that simple.

I've reviewed some of the discussions regarding Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting trips on this forum. Most seem over a year old and are varied in conclusions. Just returned from a 4-day hunt in Wyoming for elk and questioned if I was tipping properly. Should it be based on the cost of the hunt? Is there a usual/expected amount per day regardless of price? If you tag-out early, should it be less (or perhaps more!)? What if there are multiple guides for the group (i.e one-on-one versus one guide for 2 or three hunters) - does each hunter tip (perhaps a smaller $) or does the group pool the total? How much to you tip the cook/wrangler (certainly, not as much as the guide)? Can this tip be pooled amount from all? If determined by % of the total cost of the hunt, is that % amount distributed to all the crew or to each of your guides? If that's the case, the cook might do best? Like others, I also detest this very American habit which is spiraling out of control. I'd be happy just to pay the outfitter more and have him pay his crew better.
My son and I did a hunt in South Africa in early October. The customary amount there was $100 per person per day for the PH and what you felt comfortable with for the tracker and cook staff.

Myself and four friends went on our first "guided" elk hunt ((5 days) in Idaho this year. We paid $4500 a piece for a pack in drop camp with one guide for the five of us. This is an unusual arrangement I know. The guide sent with us was a 22 yo kid who was being paid $150 a day. He was a wrangler, who the outfitter decided should guide us (his first time as a guide). We all had bull elk, buck deer, wolf and bear tags. I personally saw five mule deer (does). That was it. That's all we saw the whole trip. We covered about 20 square miles in five days of hiking. We brought and cooked our own food. We cut and split firewood.
The guide, poor kid, worked hard, but had no idea why there weren't any animals in the area. We tipped him $1000 total anyway. Would have been double that if we'd had a few opportunities to shoot something.
Personally, I feel like the outfitter didn't do his job, and let us all down, including the "guide".

Myself and four friends went on our first "guided" elk hunt ((5 days) in Idaho this year. We paid $4500 a piece for a pack in drop camp with one guide for the five of us. This is an unusual arrangement I know. The guide sent with us was a 22 yo kid who was being paid $150 a day. He was a wrangler, who the outfitter decided should guide us (his first time as a guide). We all had bull elk, buck deer, wolf and bear tags. I personally saw five mule deer (does). That was it. That's all we saw the whole trip. We covered about 20 square miles in five days of hiking. We brought and cooked our own food. We cut and split firewood.
The guide, poor kid, worked hard, but had no idea why there weren't any animals in the area. We tipped him $1000 total anyway. Would have been double that if we'd had a few opportunities to shoot something.
Personally, I feel like the outfitter didn't do his job, and let us all down, including the "guide".
Everyone did but well but the hunters. Sorry, you are not alone.

I feel badly for you.
Sadly it's not the first time I've heard about the hunter leaving with nothing but an empty pocket.
If you want to fly into YXS next fall, I'll pick you up at the airport, and take you deer hunting with me, for free. Get yourself a tag, and bring your gun, don't worry about the rest of the stuff except clothes. You can bunk in my cabin, I'll stay a few days at the main house. You can eat with me, I'm not a bad cook. You can ride my ATV, I'll be on my horse. Deer are plentiful, and typically 75 to 200 yard shots. If you have multiple rifles, don't bring the 'Canon' of your collection, you will not need it. You shouldn't have been ripped off like that in my opinion. You figure out the logistics and legalities of getting the meat home if you want it. If you don't want it, the guys will use it. Moose is a strong possibility to, you can shoot it on my tag if you want to. But the moose isn't guaranteed, where as a deer is most likely 99.9999999% chance of being harvested.

I've been guiding Mule deer and Elk hunts in Utah/Wyoming for 15 years, used to do 8-10 weeks per year, now I do 5-6. My 5 year average for tips is right at 15%. I've never guided a hunter that didn't tip at least something. The outfitter pays us a daily rate of $150, this generally covers my costs (gas, repairs on the side x side, etc). Tips are my my "profit".

We provide our own pickups, side x sides, and a camp trailer to sleep in (clients stay in a lodge or mini cabins). Also provide our own gas to and from the hunt property, which is around 3.5 hours each way for me.

About half my clients are repeats each year. Generally speaking, clients from the Midwest tip the best, especially farmers.

Hope that helps someone...

I think iv read every post on this. Every one has their opinion. We all know what that's like. Customary is 10%. It's not a mandatory with most outfitters. I know in my one and only fully guided elk hunt last year I was prepared for it before I went. No I'm not a rich man by any means. Nothing wrong with being rich either. Just saying. My outfitter and guides blew my mind with their dedication to give me the hunt of a life time. Way above what would be expected. Not in my elk I was blessed to get. It was there pride in there jobs that stood out. Wrote a thread on it if you want to read it. 2022 NTO Elk Hunt and Journey @737 Yards

(Just my opinion lol) I think a guide should be tipped if a man or woman Guide, Cook, or wrangler does their job well. The 10% is just a starting point higher or lower.

Just wondering how many people give a Christmas bonus back just because they've been paid already for doing their job.

Just wondering how many people give a Christmas bonus back just because they've been paid already for doing their job.

Don't see that as a fair comparison when terms are usually somewhat outlined. However, not arguing. TroutSlayer answered my question, and it's great that that very wealthy multimillionaire clients go very above and beyond, but that expectation can hardly be expected from many of us that meticulously save for these trips.got news, a new 50k truck would change my life too! Plenty of us worked cheap to get to where we are... it's called life. If it is, then only guide for the truly rich. My dream hunt is an Alaskan Dall. If I gotta drop a 5k tip to solely to save face something is wrong with expectations of the outfitting world. If that's the case then I'll just have to save another year cause a 2k/3k tip would be a slap in the face. 10 percent seems fair for a good hunt, great experience, give them more, If they deserve it. But the expectation that you just walking in and are expected to pay 20 percent and give a guy 10k for 5 days seems ridiculous.

***and hey, maybe I'm wrong. But I'm reading the posts from the guides with much interest to see where my thinking lines up. I've felt I have tipped fairly in the past.

Last edited:
$22.5k for 5 days? And all they did was pack your stuff in? Was there a camp already set up? Somebody not sharing the money in that outfit.

Outfitter paying the guide $150/day is crap, should be like $350/day.

Last edited:
Being a guide for many years, you know after the customers leave, guides commonly refer to the big-city customers as needing babysitting, or they'd die in the wilderness alone. You certainly didn't hit any of my nerves, but I clearly hit your nerves. And,.... ".....THEIR (hint...it's "there") are people who also make a meager living in that field." Seeing maybe more leading to $3/hr value....... If one makes a meager living in their chosen field, first blame that person staring back in one's morning mirror. Then, blame one's parents for not properly imprinting, preparing one for success in life.
Now it sounds like a personal attack. You know nothing about me or my background. Same goes for me about you. Suggesting now that parents are to blame. Mine are dead and gone and you knew nothing about them. I was brought up to respect all but fear none. The subject is guide tips/gratuities.

My apologies to forum members for my part of the subject wondering. The best answer I can give is that most hunting clients base their tip on 10% of the hunt cost. Good luck to all fellow hunters with current and future hunts.

Last edited: