Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting

Agree but they should be rewarded consistently by being paid appropriately. If that means raising prices so be it. Making appropriate pay dependent on whether a random person is generous with a discretionary tip seems downright irresponsible and frankly weird.
If the outfitter has to pay the guides and others more you can be he will increase the price of the hunt double the percentage of wage increases. Middle man always gets the biggest profit.

Tipping rules are all over the place for sure! Used to be that you didn't tip on alcohol(said my grandpa) prolly cuz of sin tax and huge markup! Here's how I look at it. Many of those guides live and work in that area. As well as their families and past relatives. Myself am a native Idahoan who's family all around has been here since 1900 and my G-G-grandparents were some of the first to settle in Sun Valley around 1850's. I do enjoy peoples excitement and have been doing it since I was 3yo. I also grew up on a horse ranch so I helped breed, vet, train, & feed many of the horses that are... well a lot of places around here, their the only vehicle getting in or out. That's why it's called horse country. But it's not all rodeos and pretty buckles. I've nearly lost my life a time or two. But those guides are usually there all season. Sometimes we don't even get to take our families out to fill our own tags. And for people who enjoy the sport, it's so much more to us. It's our life, it's our food, and we depend on it. And with the people moving to these places and often destroying the local economies, and more tags being allocated for high price out-a-state tags(exception Idaho this year), camping area's constantly full, roads and trails with more traffic than downtown, we're giving up something that cherish above everything and never took for granted. We're (losing I should say), our heritage. Our ability to pass on traditions to our kids in the same place it started nearly 200 years ago by people who had only the luxuries they made for themselves. By our grandfathers grandfather. We're loosing the ability to be proud to be made by those people and to carry on their independence and spirit by never forgetting what they sacrificed, and what we gained from it. More money can always be made back in the cities, but we had something that made a $100 bill look like used toilet paper. Meaning, family heritage, and purpose. Can't buy that, not even on the black market. So give a little. Or not is ok too. Guided hunts are expensive. I couldn't afford one so I get it. Either way, do me service please! Pack out your trash, drown out your fires, and show respect for the land and animals. We like the untouched look. Enjoy the playground but remember, it's also someones backyard, fuel station, building store, and grocery store. Go trash Walmart if you must... or just for kicks!

Considered unethical, as it could be seen as advantaging one patient over another. Also goes against the "single fee schedule", which is a requirement if you accept ins payments.

For the same reason, Senators and Congressmen never accept Money which might advantage one group of their constituents over another. ;)
As a surgeon, I make a good living and don't need/want tips. If a patient felt compelled to "tip", I would suggest a donation to the local hospital, local free clinic or community health care organization and make mention of the doctor's name.

Last edited:
Considered unethical, as it could be seen as advantaging one patient over another. Also goes against the "single fee schedule", which is a requirement if you accept ins payments.

For the same reason, Senators and Congressmen never accept Money which might advantage one group of their constituents over another. ;)
Same with gov entities. example: Police vehicles are maintained by many different mechanic shops, tire distributors, parts sellers, etc., in the area. Their necessities are not allowed to "prop up" any one business or industry.

Seems very odd that some people expect to be tipped by the customer for doing their job.
If they are under paid, they should be asking the boss for a raise. If they don't get the raise they need, quit.
Open their own business, get a different job, something.
People are already paying an outrageous amount of money for a guided trip, surely the pay already is good, or can be made to be good.
If someone was to try and tip me, I would give it back.
It has become outrageous how many people think they deserve a tip for doing their job. Chamber maids, baristas, servers, bar tenders, car wash attendants, store clerks, delivery drivers, and so many more. No, it has gone too far, enough with the tipping.
If a Doctor literally saves your life, then maybe, otherwise no.
Professional (the REAL Professions, not the current, well I do it for a living, I'm a "professional ") people do not take tips of ANY kind. Nurses, doctors do not take tips. The idea of a tip has gotten crazy, for example, the precalculated tip on bills...they are all based on the total bill...well I'm NOT tipping on taxes. Look at the amount BEFORE any taxes and that is what the tip should be based on. Next, I tip 15% for GOOD service, less for less than that. I do not succumb to the "mandated" tip...no tip for drive through, fast food, you simply poured me a cup of coffee, etc. When I go on a hunt the tip, if deserved, is 15% divided up among all who earned it. None to the outfitter, unless present and working on the hunt. Cooks, maids, trackers, etc. All that comes out of the 15% pie. I try to think what is the going rate.....am I getting resturant quality meals? 2X a day, 3X a day? Well let's say 3 per day and that would be equal to a resturant bill of $100/day( or what ever)= $15 x however many days. I do the same with other helpers on the hunt team. The balance goes to the guide. Now if I got an exceptional animal, if I had people go above and beyond and maybe didn't tag out even, then I will go to 20% tip. Tipping is very hard on a hunter, am I forgetting someone, etc? I would rather have it listed and included in the hunt cost and it be taken care of....it seem kind of it's a bit like paying for sex...not that I ever had...but dirty and diminishing. The problem with including it, is that one cannot tip if the service is poor. Still l would prefer it just be included, and forego all the bs.

I did what Troutslayer did on my hunt (about $150/day). We were booked for a 5-day hunt, 2:1, my buddy and I both tipped our guide $800. We both tipped the cook $200. We left 1 day early, so it was actually $200/day for the guide.
$200/day to the cook???? Well that was his whole salary and more. My food bill at a fancy resturant would not be $200 a day...were you getting good fancy resturant quality meals? Let's say you did, then the tip would be $30/day. It's ******** that someone (outfitter) thinks that the client should pay the cooks wages.

$200/day for basically unskilled labor is a farce. Is your camp cook a 5 star chef???? Well then maybe they deserve more of a tip if they are ...but think how much would you pay for a gourmet meal??? That's what you tip on, the cost of the food and its preparation is included in the cost of the hunt. It's a joke that we hunters somehow elevate a camp cook to Chef status and way more. Their basic wages should be paid by the outfitter. I have only been on one hunt were I can say that the cook was more than someone who made the meal and had it ready so you wouldn't have to after a long day. I hear african safaris treat you pretty good, but my american and canadian hunt meals were not Michelin Chef prepared. I'm not supposed to by someone's wages for a second time. The outfitter should do that.

I do not understand why the fact keeps getting brought up that most guides are responsible for their own gear and tools . Almost every person that works in the trades or outside type of work has to pay for their own cloths and personal tools . Do we have to start tipping them now also??
Many guides spend more then they make. Some guides have spotters ( helpers ) that make zero from the outfitter. Why because they love the hunt. AZ, NV and NM can't get tags, they guide. Often they have good full time jobs, guide during hunting season. Normally great gear ( trucks, optics, Etc). Guide license benefits, Taxes..truck gas huge discounts from manufactures.
Wyo., Id and Montana are so different, better opportunity for their own hunting. Outfitters have trouble finding guides that can handle stock. Many outfitters hire guides..their job is to pack hunters in pack hunters out, keep them from getting lost. This type of outfitting is very rare, they have a hard time competing private parties that scout year round.
Mexico Coues Deer I typically tip $200 per day, Guides are usually great.

Same with gov entities. example: Police vehicles are maintained by many different mechanic shops, tire distributors, parts sellers, etc., in the area. Their necessities are not allowed to "prop up" any one business or industry.
I should have used more winkies. Right on police, wrong on congress; that was a joke.

1699657251401.png

If you want to throw up again, look into it a little further. $10k will not be getting you the top end mule deer hunt by any stretch. The good hunts in Mexico are more like $15k, plus $4-5k trophy fee when you harvest. Then tips for guides and cooks above that. I've been putting nickels aside for awhile to realize my 30" wide 190 plus mule deer dream. Earlier this year when that balance hit $12k I thought I might be in the ballpark. When I include airfare and the other things mentioned above, turns out I'm about halfway there.
Sure. And there are folks that will pay $100k for an elk hunt…every year. That's nice. I'll stick with my working man hunts and still bag some nice animals.

Africa is still the most affordable place too. 10 days, 2 hunters, 14 animals, less than 20k including airfair

Once again a guide chiming in
Attitude of gratitude is always how I think

Each guide and operation is different
Why I guide isn't for the money
It's for the experience
Unfortunately it takes money to get those experiences mostly

I'll say this from a personal perspective
I'm a old man and earned most of my experiences
Where do I go when I can't do it anymore?
Life is funny. Just enjoy the moment
Let life be life
Most guides I know are salt of the earth
I know money is the only driver here
But it's more than that for me
There are some people that are able to understand this.
Just enjoy

Edit: Then there is my wife. Always steadfast with support
Having to take care of the things at home. All the the things that I do when I'm home.
The tears that are shed at the airport each time I leave.
It all goes on her shoulders for the season when I'm gone.
I'm just trying to explain what a married guide goes through each season. It's not easy being in this spot. Money isn't the answer.
Being a guide isn't easy. At least it isn't for me. It's a huge sacrifice for my family. They know that I love it and need it
Maybe that helps some of you when your on a guided hunt?!

Last edited: