Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting

If you want to throw up again, look into it a little further. $10k will not be getting you the top end mule deer hunt by any stretch. The good hunts in Mexico are more like $15k, plus $4-5k trophy fee when you harvest. Then tips for guides and cooks above that. I've been putting nickels aside for awhile to realize my 30" wide 190 plus mule deer dream. Earlier this year when that balance hit $12k I thought I might be in the ballpark. When I include airfare and the other things mentioned above, turns out I'm about halfway there.

Then they say stupid stuff like, despite the extremely high cost we already charged you just to hunt, we can't afford to pay the guide enough, so ya you take care of that by handing them a big wad of cash. By the way that wad of cash is way more than the average working person makes per day, and they will also not declare it on their income tax forms, so its free money.
When someone is paying $10,000 to $50,000 for a hunt, depending on what they are hunting, time, etc. They can easily pay living wages out of that if they want to.
It's just a few greedy people who are keeping way too much for themselves, like the company owner.

I read some ridiculous comments in this thread, like one guy saying that its a 7 hour round trip drive every day from the place they sleep, to where they hunt, so his gas costs are high. Why are you staying somewhere 3.5 hours from where you hunt? Those poor customers who paid a small fortune to hunt, don't want to ride around 7 hours a day in a pickup. Get them accommodations somewhere much closer, or even build some small cabins as accommodations. Any guide doing that to their customers should be paying the customers for wasting their time, not the other way around.
Its easy to build some little cabins, they would pay for themselves in 4 weeks at the crazy prices charged for a hunt.
A lot of these so called dream hunting trips, sound more like a bad nightmare.
Or even just pull a travel trailer up there, and stay in it for the 2 to 4 nights, and then drive out. Travel trailers are relatively cheap, and wouldn't even have to buy it brand new. There are 5 year old ones for sale all the time, almost like new, because they were barely used in those 5 years. Heck put a wood fired hot tub out there for evening relaxation, a small kitchen under a lean to roof, it would be awesome!

Last edited:
So I just did this in Chama NM .

I paid my guide 15% of the total cost of the hunt .

I took that tip , multiplied by 25% and wrote a separate check for the waitstaff
Once again a guide chiming in
Attitude of gratitude is always how I think

Each guide and operation is different

Why I guide isn't for the money
It's for the experience
Unfortunately it takes money to get those experiences mostly

I'll say this from a personal perspective
I'm a old man and earned most of my experiences
Where do I go when I can't do it anymore?
Life is funny. Just enjoy the moment
Let life be life
Most guides I know are salt of the earth
I know money is the only driver here
But it's more than that for me
There are some people that are able to understand this.
Just enjoy
Well said Sir!! Classy

$200/day to the cook???? Well that was his whole salary and more. My food bill at a fancy resturant would not be $200 a day...were you getting good fancy resturant quality meals? Let's say you did, then the tip would be $30/day. It's ******** that someone (outfitter) thinks that the client should pay the cooks wages.
No, I paid a TOTAL of $200 to the cook crew (a lead cook and his assistant) for a tip, a total of 4 days ($50/day that was the split between them - I don't know how they split it).

$200/day for basically unskilled labor is a farce. Is your camp cook a 5 star chef???? Well then maybe they deserve more of a tip if they are ...but think how much would you pay for a gourmet meal??? That's what you tip on, the cost of the food and its preparation is included in the cost of the hunt. It's a joke that we hunters somehow elevate a camp cook to Chef status and way more. Their basic wages should be paid by the outfitter. I have only been on one hunt were I can say that the cook was more than someone who made the meal and had it ready so you wouldn't have to after a long day. I hear african safaris treat you pretty good, but my american and canadian hunt meals were not Michelin Chef prepared. I'm not supposed to by someone's wages for a second time. The outfitter should do that.
See my reply to the post above. I tipped $200 total for 4 days worth of meals, split between 2 ppl.

Just remember guides are people too. How many of you can perform 100% for 100% of the time?
For everyone all the time?
I try every day but always come up short
I understand completely about the amount of money. It's the main reason that drives the business and the complaints
It's a complex situation that I have a very one sided opinion and veiw on
I wish I had the perfect answer but I don't
All I can do as a guide is the best I can
But that doesn't mean much

No, I paid a TOTAL of $200 to the cook crew (a lead cook and his assistant) for a tip, a total of 4 days ($50/day that was the split between them - I don't know how they split it).
IDK why it takes 2 people to cook for one person. If you are in a group and you all
Still seem like too much. Cooking is just not that hard. Why 2 staff? If I recall there were only 2 of you on the hunt? If I go to a fancy restaurant and there are servers, dish washers, maitre d, a real CHEF, etc. I tip once and they can divide it up just as for your hunt. $50 a day tip for camp food???? That would be the tip for a meal/meals that cost $335. I doubt that your camp food was close to what you would have paid $335 for in a resturant. I have been made to feel that I would be stiffing the cook if I were not generous, (by the owner/guide, one and the same). Well OK, but their money is coming out of the total 15% of hunt cost. The owner/ outfitter needs to actually pay their staff, they should not be working for tips only. Hunt tipping is ridiculous. Cost of hunts are way too much, which makes the tip way too much. Why should a 200 lbs deer cost more than a 1000 lbs steer to the land owner?

Then they say stupid stuff like, despite the extremely high cost we already charged you just to hunt, we can't afford to pay the guide enough, so ya you take care of that by handing them a big wad of cash. By the way that wad of cash is way more than the average working person makes per day, and they will also not declare it on their income tax forms, so its free money.
When someone is paying $10,000 to $50,000 forna hunt, depending on what they are hunting, time, etc. They can easily pay living wages out of that if they want to.
It's just a few greedy people who are keeping way too much for themselves, like the company owner.

I read some ridiculous comments in this thread, like one guy saying that its a 7 hour round trip drive every day from the place they sleep, to where they hunt, so his gas costs are high. Why are you staying somewhere 3.5 hours from where you hunt? Those poor customers who paid a small fortune to hunt, don't want to ride around 7 hours a day in a pickup. Get them accommodations somewhere much closer, or even build some small cabins as accommodations. Any guide doing that to their customers should be paying the customers for wasting their time, not the other way around.
Its easy to build some little cabins, they would pay for themselves in 4 weeks at the crazy prices charged for a hunt.
A lot of these so called dream hunting trips, sound more like a bad nightmare.
Or even just pull a travel trailer up there, and stay in it for the 2 to 4 nights, and then drive out. Travel trailers are relatively cheap, and wouldn't even have to buy it brand new. There are 5 year old ones for sale all the time, almost like new, because they were barely used in those 5 years. Heck put a wood fired hot tub out there for evening relaxation, a small kitchen under a lean to roof, it would be awesome!
Agree to all

I just need to remember all these awesome things about running a business when I get my own company going.
Under pay my staff, and get the customers to tip them.
Make no promises about product being received, they may get it, maybe not, but no refunds.
Food and accommodations don't need to be good, an egg and toast will do, they still better tip though or else.
Make sure to regularly bring up tipping, and talk about the really big tippers, make them sound important.

Wish they would have taught this stuff in business classes, stupid university.

IDK why it takes 2 people to cook for one person. If you are in a group and you all

Still seem like too much. Cooking is just not that hard. Why 2 staff? If I recall there were only 2 of you on the hunt? If I go to a fancy restaurant and there are servers, dish washers, maitre d, a real CHEF, etc. I tip once and they can divide it up just as for your hunt. $50 a day tip for camp food???? That would be the tip for a meal/meals that cost $335. I doubt that your camp food was close to what you would have paid $335 for in a resturant. I have been made to feel that I would be stiffing the cook if I were not generous, (by the owner/guide, one and the same). Well OK, but their money is coming out of the total 15% of hunt cost. The owner/ outfitter needs to actually pay their staff, they should not be working for tips only. Hunt tipping is ridiculous. Cost of hunts are way too much, which makes the tip way too much. Why should a 200 lbs deer cost more than a 1000 lbs steer to the land owner?
We were in a camp of 8 total hunters (plus the guides, the owner and a few paying guests that weren't hunting). I went with one friend, we had a 2:1 scenario with our guide. The cook and his helper had hot breakfast ready each morning by 5 and had a delicious dinner ready each night by 7:30 and kept the food ready for the late arrivals. They also made us bagged lunches and made the less-motivated hunters a full lunch in the lodge if they didn't want to stay out all day. They worked long days (sure, they weren't out in the elements all day, but while we were hunting they were running into town to buy more food and filling specific booze requests for the other hunters).
It's funny to me that you are badgering me for how much I chose to tip a pair of hard working young professionals that are trying to grow their business as caterers (whom cook for the outfitter camp when the cold Montana winters shut down their wedding season). I earn my money the hard way, just as I'm sure you do. How I (or anyone else) chooses to spend their money or whom and how much to tip someone shouldn't be a source of public scrutiny to this degree.
The original post was questioning what other hunters have done or experienced. He also detests the American habit of tipping. Me too, I'd happily pay the outfitter a flat fee and never have to feel guilty about whether I'm tipping enough or not (same as with any service where tips are now expected). That's not the world we live in right now, so unless I want to be an a$$hole and stiff some hardworking young adults who understand the game and are factoring those tips into their financial equation, then I need to play the game (I choose to play it within the currently "accepted" percentages and not lose any sleep over it).

We were in a camp of 8 total hunters (plus the guides, the owner and a few paying guests that weren't hunting). I went with one friend, we had a 2:1 scenario with our guide. The cook and his helper had hot breakfast ready each morning by 5 and had a delicious dinner ready each night by 7:30 and kept the food ready for the late arrivals. They also made us bagged lunches and made the less-motivated hunters a full lunch in the lodge if they didn't want to stay out all day. They worked long days (sure, they weren't out in the elements all day, but while we were hunting they were running into town to buy more food and filling specific booze requests for the other hunters).
It's funny to me that you are badgering me for how much I chose to tip a pair of hard working young professionals that are trying to grow their business as caterers (whom cook for the outfitter camp when the cold Montana winters shut down their wedding season). I earn my money the hard way, just as I'm sure you do. How I (or anyone else) chooses to spend their money or whom and how much to tip someone shouldn't be a source of public scrutiny to this degree.
The original post was questioning what other hunters have done or experienced. He also detests the American habit of tipping. Me too, I'd happily pay the outfitter a flat fee and never have to feel guilty about whether I'm tipping enough or not (same as with any service where tips are now expected). That's not the world we live in right now, so unless I want to be an a$$hole and stiff some hardworking young adults who understand the game and are factoring those tips into their financial equation, then I need to play the game (I choose to play it within the currently "accepted" percentages and not lose any sleep over it).
Not arguing with you, not badgering you, who don't have to reply, it's a general DISSCUSSION . You do what ever you want, it's supposed to be America. Yeah cooking for a group and having it available all day is different than just doing dinner at at resturant, 8 hrs vs 12-16. Being available for those long hours changes things, but IMAO that extra should come from the outfitter. I wouldn't screw young hard working people trying to get ahead either and I would more than likely up the ante too, we all like to help those starting out...but they should work out their hours worked and compensaton with the owner, the client shouldn't be their sole source of payment, they shouldn't be working for tips only.

Seems very odd that some people expect to be tipped by the customer for doing their job.
If they are under paid, they should be asking the boss for a raise. If they don't get the raise they need, quit.
Open their own business, get a different job, something.
People are already paying an outrageous amount of money for a guided trip, surely the pay already is good, or can be made to be good.
If someone was to try and tip me, I would give it back.
It has become outrageous how many people think they deserve a tip for doing their job. Chamber maids, baristas, servers, bar tenders, car wash attendants, store clerks, delivery drivers, and so many more. No, it has gone too far, enough with the tipping.
If a Doctor literally saves your life, then maybe, otherwise no.
You are not wrong and point out some social norms that are recent and frankly, **** me off. You can't do anything that upsets someone, including telling an employee how they're making mistakes or that their performance may reflect their ability to keep this job. They expect to be paid just for showing up and they deserve extra for doing something! B!S! Mostly millennials, I am one, sadly, but I can say I was hating millennials before it was cool, like 1st grade cir.1991. I was raised poor, around rich kids. I lived w/ dad who was never home, workaholic, selfish, he had been a Marine, he worked as a welder, we raised horses, and he was educated in everything that went with that. Constructive criticism came from the back of his hand. I basically had to be a mind reader. But I identify more w/ gen-x-ers. Most of what I had I made from nothing. I could figure out just about anything. I could gerry-rig, improvise, and fake through any problem or situation. I admired individuality and rejected conformity because it was those kids that harassed me for living in a trailer home, for the vehicles we had, because I didn't have a computer or video games, for calling out ******** on anyone, and for making my own stuff instead of buying what everyone else had. I was small, skinny, and had trouble realizing how ****** most people were to someone they just met or why they would spend so much effort being deceitful and backstabbing for what gain I'm still unsure... And that I was surround by these types of people. I am no stranger to being a scapegoat. Funny thing, by 2nd grade I realized the bullies were FOS or too dickless to put their money where their mouth is. Along w/ this it became evident that kids twice my age/twice my size, could not hit nearly as hard as my dad, or kick as hard as a horse. So, I quickly lost fear of what they would say or could do to me. I also had less reason to hold back my words of how I felt about them and their unwarranted treatment of me. They also didn't consider my lifestyle of bucking hay and constant heavy lifting, chasing/ handling/ avoiding death by/ up to 1500lb animals, building fence in 110*F weather, gardening, hunting, etc.,... or just keeping up with my dad on a normal day, (who I believe is half elk, quick as a whip, and at nearly 70 could still kick my 38yo ***), all came with expectations that lacked any sympathy for injuries and pain that would have most adults throwing in the towel. While simultaneously it required speed & agility of body & mind, discipline and control of emotion, and... well, by the time I was 9yo, I could deadlift 120lbs(I weighed 70lbs)... and I was/am boney like a trout. So when they hit me, the pain in their hand, tears in their eyes, and the horror on their face as they struggled to comprehend how I was still standing unfazed was humorous. Then I hit back, and I'll admit I likely was unaware of just how strong I was and I can tell they were hurt, but they run off crying and I get in trouble like they didn't just do the same to me in a unwarranted attack while I'm defending myself. I guess I can hit so hard as to undo what they previously did. So I was labeled a bad kid for defending myself and I would tell whomever, teacher, parent, etc., where they can stick their favoritism and support of a bully.... So I totally understand what you're saying... FF 30 years...
Well, point to be is,... Now these are the PEOPLE... ADULTS... (physically speaking only) that are doing this. And it's no wonder. No one told them they were wrong, even when they deserved getting their teeth knocked out! The fact that it's suggested on every receipt, even the people at the check out asking, "would you like to round your total up to blablabla." There's drive throughs here that are the same. I'm thinking they didn't do anymore than the people at McDonald's and we don't expect to tip those people. A tip existed in lines of work where the employer who's taking all the risk of space rent, food cost, insurance, second mortgage, 16 hrs a day kinda thing, doesn't have to pay out to people who aren't providing good service. They are, in restaurants, required to make sure you make min. wage if tips don't add up. The bigger problem may be that employers can't just fire someone if they don't meet standards or are not acting in the owners best interest. Now days no one cares about customers because "I get paid either way so screw them." Face buried into dumb-phone. I think more things should be like back in the day picking berries on a farm. The job pays $2 a bushel. If you work hard and move fast you can make $20 an hour. If you screw around and don't care, you can make $2 an hour. Choice is yours. But there's so many things messed up. When America lost pride in work and craftsmanship. The fact people want the cheapest crap from china that breaks every 10 minutes instead of paying top dollar for a well made whatever that when used properly and taken care of will last a lifetime.
The other thing is these jobs are advertised as [$100 a day plus tips - Tips ~ $100 to $500 daily depending on client, hunt, etc.] In Idaho Outfitters have to not only cover expenses, travel costs, licenses, expensive equipment, (do you know what a 12x14 canvas tent, wood stove, and frame cost? what the maintenance cost and labor? How much they weigh? Cost of horses to pack, year round food, land, trailers, tack, training, etc., Truck that can haul trailer? A new Dodge 2500 base model is maybe $80k, tires, fuel,... Outfitters have to lease forest land, be licensed[this includes having experience, knowledge of the area(100's of square acres of terrain, trails, creeks, etc., knowledge of game, rules and laws, know weather patterns, medical treatment.] An injury that is not a big deal when the ambulance is 15 min away can kill when your a day or two from a hospital in good weather. You want them to know how to keep you safe and alive. They have to make sure the guides they employ have these skills as well. As well as knowing how to find, track, read, anticipate, and successfully harvest game. That's when more work starts. Knowledge of cleaning, butchering, food safety, packing, shipping of perishable goods. Cost of trail cams and year round monitoring of animals and their habits to successfully put clients on targeted game. It's not like fishing. You're not chasing down an elk. You have to know where they're gonna be before they're there. And they don't follow daily, weekly, or even yearly patterns like most animals. The factors that drive their behavior and patterns is infinite and changing. Same with other animals. Knowing about food sources, predators, fires, other hunters. It's a little easier if they're on a private 5k acre ranch, but many also deal with general season competition. Plus it's not just the guide taking you into the field. There is often many people working behind the scenes. The people who live here and hunt yearly, have spent $1,000's and hours, collecting equipment, and learning from being in the field. For me it's always hunting season, just rarely the part where I can harvest. But when I'm camping and fishing in the summer I'm looking nat the area, food, what's around, tracks. When I'm cutting firewood I'm looking at areas that are recovering from fire, streams that have dried up, the amount of food traffic, weather patters, practicing shooting, making sure my equipment is in working order, checking new areas in case I can't get my usual tags or better opportunities, expanding my knowledge, skill, etc. like getting archery validation, getting a muzzleloader to utilize other options. This is a lifestyle and my heritage and that's not something you should be able to buy into cheaply. That's how large groups of people lose their livelihood.
When house building costs go up, do you blame the contractors, or the fact that the cost of lumber doubled because the hippies got an area of forest close by closed to logging? Fuel prices drive most things. Maybe should blame the Saudis for purposely keeping oil supply low and the president for the embargo on Russia which caused us to get 10% of our oil from the Saudis. Or the difficulty to get off oil dependance to the extreme high cost of changing our infrastructure to a more renewable fuel like hydrogen, electric, biodiesel, etc. For some people, most I know, It's not as simple as "my boss wont give me a raise so I will quit today and tomorrow I'll get the same job next door and they will pay me. Also, have you ever started a business from next to nothing with no capital? I'm gonna guess no because you would not put it like you're returning a shirt for one of another color. Also most if not all only have so many outfitter located tags. Which means there are only so many outfitter licenses available, like a liquor license. They need a minimum number of clients or the business cannot be profitable. Or every outfitter would be going out of business every season.
I would not return a tip, however I wouldn't count the amount either. One person tips $500 because he has more money than he knows what to do with it. Another person tips $100 but this means making next months car payment isn't guaranteed. Which was more grateful? It's the gesture or should be. Sure the $$ helps, but it's also supposed to be a symbol that they recognize you're doing a good job, trying, and working hard at it. I might be insulted if someone didn't accept my gratuity unless it's policy or conflict of interest.

You are not wrong and point out some social norms that are recent and frankly, **** me off. You can't do anything that upsets someone, including telling an employee how they're making mistakes or that their performance may reflect their ability to keep this job. They expect to be paid just for showing up and they deserve extra for doing something! B!S! Mostly millennials, I am one, sadly, but I can say I was hating millennials before it was cool, like 1st grade cir.1991. I was raised poor, around rich kids. I lived w/ dad who was never home, workaholic, selfish, he had been a Marine, he worked as a welder, we raised horses, and he was educated in everything that went with that. Constructive criticism came from the back of his hand. I basically had to be a mind reader. But I identify more w/ gen-x-ers. Most of what I had I made from nothing. I could figure out just about anything. I could gerry-rig, improvise, and fake through any problem or situation. I admired individuality and rejected conformity because it was those kids that harassed me for living in a trailer home, for the vehicles we had, because I didn't have a computer or video games, for calling out ******** on anyone, and for making my own stuff instead of buying what everyone else had. I was small, skinny, and had trouble realizing how ****** most people were to someone they just met or why they would spend so much effort being deceitful and backstabbing for what gain I'm still unsure... And that I was surround by these types of people. I am no stranger to being a scapegoat. Funny thing, by 2nd grade I realized the bullies were FOS or too dickless to put their money where their mouth is. Along w/ this it became evident that kids twice my age/twice my size, could not hit nearly as hard as my dad, or kick as hard as a horse. So, I quickly lost fear of what they would say or could do to me. I also had less reason to hold back my words of how I felt about them and their unwarranted treatment of me. They also didn't consider my lifestyle of bucking hay and constant heavy lifting, chasing/ handling/ avoiding death by/ up to 1500lb animals, building fence in 110*F weather, gardening, hunting, etc.,... or just keeping up with my dad on a normal day, (who I believe is half elk, quick as a whip, and at nearly 70 could still kick my 38yo ***), all came with expectations that lacked any sympathy for injuries and pain that would have most adults throwing in the towel. While simultaneously it required speed & agility of body & mind, discipline and control of emotion, and... well, by the time I was 9yo, I could deadlift 120lbs(I weighed 70lbs)... and I was/am boney like a trout. So when they hit me, the pain in their hand, tears in their eyes, and the horror on their face as they struggled to comprehend how I was still standing unfazed was humorous. Then I hit back, and I'll admit I likely was unaware of just how strong I was and I can tell they were hurt, but they run off crying and I get in trouble like they didn't just do the same to me in a unwarranted attack while I'm defending myself. I guess I can hit so hard as to undo what they previously did. So I was labeled a bad kid for defending myself and I would tell whomever, teacher, parent, etc., where they can stick their favoritism and support of a bully.... So I totally understand what you're saying... FF 30 years...
Well, point to be is,... Now these are the PEOPLE... ADULTS... (physically speaking only) that are doing this. And it's no wonder. No one told them they were wrong, even when they deserved getting their teeth knocked out! The fact that it's suggested on every receipt, even the people at the check out asking, "would you like to round your total up to blablabla." There's drive throughs here that are the same. I'm thinking they didn't do anymore than the people at McDonald's and we don't expect to tip those people. A tip existed in lines of work where the employer who's taking all the risk of space rent, food cost, insurance, second mortgage, 16 hrs a day kinda thing, doesn't have to pay out to people who aren't providing good service. They are, in restaurants, required to make sure you make min. wage if tips don't add up. The bigger problem may be that employers can't just fire someone if they don't meet standards or are not acting in the owners best interest. Now days no one cares about customers because "I get paid either way so screw them." Face buried into dumb-phone. I think more things should be like back in the day picking berries on a farm. The job pays $2 a bushel. If you work hard and move fast you can make $20 an hour. If you screw around and don't care, you can make $2 an hour. Choice is yours. But there's so many things messed up. When America lost pride in work and craftsmanship. The fact people want the cheapest crap from china that breaks every 10 minutes instead of paying top dollar for a well made whatever that when used properly and taken care of will last a lifetime.
The other thing is these jobs are advertised as [$100 a day plus tips - Tips ~ $100 to $500 daily depending on client, hunt, etc.] In Idaho Outfitters have to not only cover expenses, travel costs, licenses, expensive equipment, (do you know what a 12x14 canvas tent, wood stove, and frame cost? what the maintenance cost and labor? How much they weigh? Cost of horses to pack, year round food, land, trailers, tack, training, etc., Truck that can haul trailer? A new Dodge 2500 base model is maybe $80k, tires, fuel,... Outfitters have to lease forest land, be licensed[this includes having experience, knowledge of the area(100's of square acres of terrain, trails, creeks, etc., knowledge of game, rules and laws, know weather patterns, medical treatment.] An injury that is not a big deal when the ambulance is 15 min away can kill when your a day or two from a hospital in good weather. You want them to know how to keep you safe and alive. They have to make sure the guides they employ have these skills as well. As well as knowing how to find, track, read, anticipate, and successfully harvest game. That's when more work starts. Knowledge of cleaning, butchering, food safety, packing, shipping of perishable goods. Cost of trail cams and year round monitoring of animals and their habits to successfully put clients on targeted game. It's not like fishing. You're not chasing down an elk. You have to know where they're gonna be before they're there. And they don't follow daily, weekly, or even yearly patterns like most animals. The factors that drive their behavior and patterns is infinite and changing. Same with other animals. Knowing about food sources, predators, fires, other hunters. It's a little easier if they're on a private 5k acre ranch, but many also deal with general season competition. Plus it's not just the guide taking you into the field. There is often many people working behind the scenes. The people who live here and hunt yearly, have spent $1,000's and hours, collecting equipment, and learning from being in the field. For me it's always hunting season, just rarely the part where I can harvest. But when I'm camping and fishing in the summer I'm looking nat the area, food, what's around, tracks. When I'm cutting firewood I'm looking at areas that are recovering from fire, streams that have dried up, the amount of food traffic, weather patters, practicing shooting, making sure my equipment is in working order, checking new areas in case I can't get my usual tags or better opportunities, expanding my knowledge, skill, etc. like getting archery validation, getting a muzzleloader to utilize other options. This is a lifestyle and my heritage and that's not something you should be able to buy into cheaply. That's how large groups of people lose their livelihood.
When house building costs go up, do you blame the contractors, or the fact that the cost of lumber doubled because the hippies got an area of forest close by closed to logging? Fuel prices drive most things. Maybe should blame the Saudis for purposely keeping oil supply low and the president for the embargo on Russia which caused us to get 10% of our oil from the Saudis. Or the difficulty to get off oil dependance to the extreme high cost of changing our infrastructure to a more renewable fuel like hydrogen, electric, biodiesel, etc. For some people, most I know, It's not as simple as "my boss wont give me a raise so I will quit today and tomorrow I'll get the same job next door and they will pay me. Also, have you ever started a business from next to nothing with no capital? I'm gonna guess no because you would not put it like you're returning a shirt for one of another color. Also most if not all only have so many outfitter located tags. Which means there are only so many outfitter licenses available, like a liquor license. They need a minimum number of clients or the business cannot be profitable. Or every outfitter would be going out of business every season.
I would not return a tip, however I wouldn't count the amount either. One person tips $500 because he has more money than he knows what to do with it. Another person tips $100 but this means making next months car payment isn't guaranteed. Which was more grateful? It's the gesture or should be. Sure the $$ helps, but it's also supposed to be a symbol that they recognize you're doing a good job, trying, and working hard at it. I might be insulted if someone didn't accept my gratuity unless it's policy or conflict of interest.

Just remember guides are people too. How many of you can perform 100% for 100% of the time?
For everyone all the time?
I try every day but always come up short
I understand completely about the amount of money. It's the main reason that drives the business and the complaints
It's a complex situation that I have a very one sided opinion and veiw on
I wish I had the perfect answer but I don't
All I can do as a guide is the best I can
But that doesn't mean much
Guides that I had were like you. Iv been on many DIY Mule Deer hunts on my own. Backpacked in 2 miles and carried enough to stay 7 days. So I know what it takes hunting like that. All pre stroke. Yea the helped me walk. Helped me on and off my horse. Very humbling to say the least. I think they were happier than I was when I got my elk. You bet I tipped them!!!! I'd tip you also I feel like. Thank You for what you do. Guides like you give poeple like me the experience of a lifetime in their hunting adventures.

Considered unethical, as it could be seen as advantaging one patient over another. Also goes against the "single fee schedule", which is a requirement if you accept ins payments.

For the same reason, Senators and Congressmen never accept Money which might advantage one group of their constituents over another. ;)
I just threw up in the back of my mouth now! Hahahahahaha