Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting

I see both sides of the argument. Still waiting to see what life changing money is from trout slayer. If tipping is such a problem then build it into the costs instead of praying over clients. Seems like it's almost a gamble by an outfitter hoping it's more then built in costs. I'm not a poor tipper, I did my time in the service Industry. But if you won't build it in and run the gamble then it's on you. Sorry just cause I save my pennies for a 20k hunt I can't afford... in all reality. Doesnt mean i need to tip you enough to buy you a "life changing mountain house" cause you spent 20 days on a slope looking at a great bull cause it's what you love. Since you neglected to answer my question and cry about rich boomers, this is my take.
I know a guy who had happy clients. His truck was a *** and they went to the dealership and bought him a brand new truck as a tip. I never got more than $1000/day but I have friends who have been given 10k for 5 days. I was on a week fishing trip last year and a guy gave the cook 12k. A client gave me a pretty good tip by giving me a referral that led to the start of a real career and financial freedom. When you're a hunting guide life changing money isn't all that much considering how little you are making per day.

I'm not allowed to order coffee for the wife anymore at Starbucks. It's small ,medium, and large in my book . She gets mad I won't use the rainbow words to order and I correct the person taking the order it's small, medium, and large.

LOL, I do the same thing. "One medium cup of black coffee, please.". *crickets*

So if you tag out early on a hunt do you leave or can you stay at camp for the full time you paid for and help out or sightsee/take photos? Staying around for a couple extra days washing dishes and taking care of tack(if you have animals there) and feeding them would count as a tip in my mind.
I tagged out on my first day on Elk Hunt. They were surprised when I asked if I could leave early. It depends where you are I guess. In my case, it was a house, no horses, so it made no difference.

I've been on both sides of the line. I tell clients 20% of the hunt - 10% goes to the guide and 10% is split up between the cook, wrangler, and supporting staff. I'm very fortunate in that what I make in guide gratuity helps me pay for tuition to send my kids to a private school. So in a way it is life changing for me. Some guides are more appreciative than others, no matter what they get.

I've hunted a few western states, Canada and Africa. Africa was actually easier as the gentleman who acted as the front for the African company told me what to give the guide, his assistant and housekeeping. It was the guide's assistant who made the trip for me; carried my rifle at times, helped me navigate through the shale hillside and insisted on carrying my backpack. He unfortunately was treated like garbage by the others, being black in Africa doesn't get you much respect. The guide got $200 a day(this was five years ago) and the assistant was supposed to get $20 a day, I gave him $50. When I got back to my room the last night he was waiting for me. He threw his arms around me and kept thanking me.
As far as the US, (this was in the 80's) tips averaged between $100 a day for the bargain basement hunts to $200 a day for the more expensive ones. My Canada Moose hunt was your do it yourself hunt. They supplied the cabin and boat, you brought your own food and hunted on your own and took care of your game yourself. He was given a couple hundred at the end of the trip but didn't really contribute anything. I've always based it on what I felt they contributed.

As aggravating as the new "tip culture" has become for expected service, tipping on guided hunts has been an expectation for a long time. I would hope that the irritation for tipping when it is not necessary would not affect the tipping for what is a job done very well. When I have had the opportunity to hunt with someone who was exceptional in their efforts, I want to tip them well and show my appreciation. On one hunt the guide was an absolute disaster - incompetent, didn't know how to handle horses, and lazy. To give him the same tip as for excellent service I feel would have been to shortchange the dedicated guides I have met and hunted with. I just accept the fact of the tips as part of the hunt, and figure that in from the start. Generally by the end of the hunt, I consider it a joy to hand over a tip for dedicated service on a hunt.

I've reviewed some of the discussions regarding Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting trips on this forum. Most seem over a year old and are varied in conclusions. Just returned from a 4-day hunt in Wyoming for elk and questioned if I was tipping properly. Should it be based on the cost of the hunt? Is there a usual/expected amount per day regardless of price? If you tag-out early, should it be less (or perhaps more!)? What if there are multiple guides for the group (i.e one-on-one versus one guide for 2 or three hunters) - does each hunter tip (perhaps a smaller $) or does the group pool the total? How much to you tip the cook/wrangler (certainly, not as much as the guide)? Can this tip be pooled amount from all? If determined by % of the total cost of the hunt, is that % amount distributed to all the crew or to each of your guides? If that's the case, the cook might do best? Like others, I also detest this very American habit which is spiraling out of control. I'd be happy just to pay the outfitter more and have him pay his crew better.
So I just did this in Chama NM .

I paid my guide 15% of the total cost of the hunt .

I took that tip , multiplied by 25% and wrote a separate check for the waitstaff

I've reviewed some of the discussions regarding Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting trips on this forum. Most seem over a year old and are varied in conclusions. Just returned from a 4-day hunt in Wyoming for elk and questioned if I was tipping properly. Should it be based on the cost of the hunt? Is there a usual/expected amount per day regardless of price? If you tag-out early, should it be less (or perhaps more!)? What if there are multiple guides for the group (i.e one-on-one versus one guide for 2 or three hunters) - does each hunter tip (perhaps a smaller $) or does the group pool the total? How much to you tip the cook/wrangler (certainly, not as much as the guide)? Can this tip be pooled amount from all? If determined by % of the total cost of the hunt, is that % amount distributed to all the crew or to each of your guides? If that's the case, the cook might do best? Like others, I also detest this very American habit which is spiraling out of control. I'd be happy just to pay the outfitter more and have him pay his crew better.
First, I tip VERY WELL.....not a cheapskate by any definition..... for exceptional service provided, not minimal effort,"drag-your-***-to-the-game", deliverables. I've always viewed tipping as an extra for extra above-and-beyond service received. Ho-hum, minimal, basic services delivered are included in the base cost agreed upon beforehand. I'm sick of every service person having their hand out for extra money, for JUST showing up, barely doing their job. Price your basic expected service at the price which you value it, let the customer decide the initial and final value to them, if it meets the base agreement or goes above-and-beyond. So many service providers expect a tip to meet their cost of living......poor management of their life business. Here's the best tip any of them will ever get: manage your life as a business which it is...YOU, Inc. Deliver more than expected as a life model. They should pay me for a valuable life lesson offered.

So if you tag out early on a hunt do you leave or can you stay at camp for the full time you paid for and help out or sightsee/take photos? Staying around for a couple extra days washing dishes and taking care of tack(if you have animals there) and feeding them would count as a tip in my mind.
Ok, so being a big game hunting guide for a great deal of years, I will be blunt, so don't take it personal. If a hunter tagged out early and is traveling with another hunter and you are on a 2 on 1, you will most likely not be leaving early. But if you plan on staying and hanging around to help, just remember that most who are employed in the hunting business are professionals and take pride in what they do even though pay isn't that great. I do not like tag a longs as there is more noise, more movement, more scent in the woods. Sometimes the best thing to do is to know when to get out of the way.
Myself and the guides I work with are trying their best to get you the best animal they can. It is in a professional guides nature to be successful. There are some clients that can say or do things that can hurt a guides attitude. (Important to remember). I don't think anyone around a professional hunting camp will believe a client hanging around and helping out is an exchange for a tip. Again, just my opinion with many years behind it.

I've given the same amount of a tip whether I get an animal the first day, last day or not at all. I usually tip the guide and cook. Haven't been on a hunt where there was a separate wrangler. I don't know that there's a correct answer for all scenarios. I do know guides don't make a lot typically. I helped an outfitter friend guide archery elk hunters in the late '90's. I did the math and after taxes and costs for fuel to get to the trailhead, most days working from 4:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., I was making about $3 per hour!
Well, that's what YOU valued your services, expertise at....$3.00/hr.....your customer merely agreed with your self valuation, accepted your offer. Manage YOU, Inc like the business it is. Deliver goods.services to those willing and able to pay for same at pricing you agree upon. Exceed expectations in the eyes of the customer, position yourself in customer's value system for a tip Otherwise, get the base pay for the base service agreed upon. Simple Business 101..

Having guided for over 30 years on and off it is always a nice jesture to get a tip from the client. Same as a server doing a fine job at a table. The difference for me is the server only has to deal with the client for a short period of time and likely pulls 20% of the bill. A guide has to deal with the client 24/7 and often is looking forward to the moment they leave. A guide might pull 7-900 for a week hunt of pay and get 200 out of a 7k hunt. A good client and a good guide will generally have s great time and both earn the hunt experience. So if the guide just did the minimum in all aspects and and your expectations weren't unreasonable then no tip. If the opposite, tip. All that gear on that guides body came out of his pocket and pay. I assure you he not likely able to afford to pay for a guided hunt.

Ok, so being a big game hunting guide for a great deal of years, I will be blunt, so don't take it personal. If a hunter tagged out early and is traveling with another hunter and you are on a 2 on 1, you will most likely not be leaving early. But if you plan on staying and hanging around to help, just remember that most who are employed in the hunting business are professionals and take pride in what they do even though pay isn't that great. I do not like tag a longs as there is more noise, more movement, more scent in the woods. Sometimes the best thing to do is to know when to get out of the way.
Myself and the guides I work with are trying their best to get you the best animal they can. It is in a professional guides nature to be successful. There are some clients that can say or do things that can hurt a guides attitude. (Important to remember). I don't think anyone around a professional hunting camp will believe a client hanging around and helping out is an exchange for a tip. Again, just my opinion with many years behind it.
Do you offer a refund for days not guided when hunter tags out early??? You contracted to babysit a specified group for specified number of days, including the headcount, amount of noise, movement, scent, et el, regardless of when each tags out....or not. Suck it up, deliver your agreed services. Deliver above-and-beyond, be positioned for a tip. Your services should be priced up front, without tip, to provide the revenues at which you value your services. Run your business as a business, not a charity or welfare operation. Sadly, many great guides are horrible at the business aspect, which is fully part of a quality supplier in any field.

Well, as I said, I guess honesty touches nerves. That's what I was trying to be, not offensive. I wasn't intending to get into the business aspect.
If you are a grown man and need a babysitter, their are people who also make a meager living in that field. Good day, and good luck in the woods.