Gratuity/Tips for guided hunting

But why not include it in the initial cost?
I know how hard my guide in Colorado work. He busted his *** Off but why do they need to depend on tips. Why not straight out pay?
Outfitters run extremely lean and pay guides what they can afford(not much). Most guides leave their family and steady jobs to providing an experience, full filling dreams, and make life long memories. They should be rewarded otherwise it's just another job.

Outfitters run extremely lean and pay guides what they can afford(not much). Most guides leave their family and steady jobs to providing an experience, full filling dreams, and make life long memories. They should be rewarded otherwise it's just another job.
I was the beneficiary of a remarkable guide, I know how hard they work.

Why don't we just put the cost of business in the price and get away from tip culture?

Seems like an antiquated tradition that has gotten out of hand. It used to be you tipped when you got above average service; now everyone demands it.
Europe has been away from tipping forever. You pay more, they earn more, but their service sucks for the vast majority. Lived in London for a couple yrs and traveled Europe extensively. No tipping really required/requested anywhere, but service was only great in most all of Scandinavia and Switzerland. Rest were hit or miss with Paris being poor (France away form Paris was very good) and London only a little better than Paris. I did tip some that were outstanding anyway - Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Luxembourg.

Why don't we just put the cost of business in the price and get away from tip culture?

Seems like an antiquated tradition that has gotten out of hand. It used to be you tipped when you got above average service; now everyone demands it.

Because it tells the individual that you not only appreciate what they did but you have taken a unique interest in the person.

I think I would tip the cook the most, he/she probably has the hardest job with the longest hours. And good food make the trip so much better.

I see the tip option at Papa Murphys take and bake pizza joint. I don't understand that at all, nobody is serving you other than making the pizza and that is what they are there for. Tipping should be for exceptional service. If tips are required to make a decent living, someone needs to raise the rates or not be so greedy and live a little more frugally. Not easy to do I realize in the age of $70k-$100k pickup trucks. :oops:

Those cheap fat cats should be tipping 20% :)
Never got that much. Ever.
I'll say this. I've not gotten a tip more than I have been tipped.
There's a lot of the mentality that is in this thread with hunters nowadays.
The ironic thing about tipping is that the time that I failed at guiding the most was the best tip I ever got.
The hunter was a stellar man. I learned alot from him at my lowest time as a guide.

Never got that much. Ever.
I'll say this. I've not gotten a tip more than I have been tipped.
There's a lot of the mentality that is in this thread with hunters nowadays.
The ironic thing about tipping is that the time that I failed at guiding the most was the best tip I ever got.
The hunter was a stellar man. I learned alot from him at my lowest time as a guide.

Sounds like you were in the presence of a man that knew "servant leadership". It's rare and a pleasure to be around.

Having mostly been on the other side of this when I was younger, guiding is crap work. I could go on about all of the downsides- being away from home, poor pay, long hours, licensing cost, wear and tear on equipment and vehicles, short season, difficult clients, shady outfitters…. it's no way to make a living and most guides don't actually make anything resembling a living. This isn't like the Starbucks machine asking for 25%. Tipping guides is longstanding tradition and without it, most probably lose money on the deal, or at best break even. I don't know why anyone even bothers to do it. if I were a good guide for a hunt and got stiffed you better bet I'm not taking you next time, and a good outfitter isn't going to put you near the top of the list for a future booking. Most outfitters should have suggested gratuity on their web page and that's a good place to start. The best client is the one who is so generous he tips a life changing amount of money.
And I get the guide who constantly uses inappropriate language in front of the women on the boat. We tip well. I contact outfitter afterwards and am essentially told so sad, too bad.

I'm not allowed to order coffee for the wife anymore at Starbucks. It's small ,medium, and large in my book . She gets mad I won't use the rainbow words to order and I correct the person taking the order it's small, medium, and large.
Besides the whole anti Military anti America stance of Starbucks

Just a question to the Guides and Outfitters out there.
If someone books a four day hunt for say a Mule Deer and pays $10,000.00. Does not the Outfitter pay the Guide out of the $10k. Room/food/license out of the 10K and I understand that it is a business, but the Guide gets almost nothing from the Outfitter and depends on Tips? Suggesting that the guide should get additional $2K for the hunt? Plus the rest of the staff at the lodge get tips also?
We have gone on hunts where tipped individuals and also gone with other hunters and pooled the tips together for everyone.
I believevin tipping, but, I am not wealthy. saving and scraping for a hunt does not happen easily and an extra 2k seems outrageous to me. just my 2 cents. I don't argue how hard these guys work

A good friend and well known guide in CO has on his website - recommended tip 10% of total cost of the trip for the guide and 5% shared for wrangler (if appropriate) and cook. Pretty simple and very reasonable. I hired him this yr for a Moose hunt and followed his rule. Cook and wrangler were the same person, so he got the full 5%. Tagged out 2nd day of a 6 day hunt - even more reasonable when you get a trophy, but these guys worked their tails off as most do and took good care of me.
So if you tag out early on a hunt do you leave or can you stay at camp for the full time you paid for and help out or sightsee/take photos? Staying around for a couple extra days washing dishes and taking care of tack(if you have animals there) and feeding them would count as a tip in my mind.