GPS

Have had my Etrex 2 years now.Works great for keeping track of prairie dog towns.The trackback feature is great,lets you keep track of how fast you are going & how long to destination.Another use for it is a speedometer.The speedo on the oladys SSEI Bonnivile only went up to 115 but the Etrex clockt top speed at 158mph yehaw.
The only drawback I have found is that under a lot of tree cover it doesnt read consistantly & if you rely on it you are lost.Found this out the hard way last fall bear hunting in northern Mn.I have ben considering upgrading to the one with a built in compass=CJ

What are the good hand held GPS's? I am looking to be hunting in Colorado mountains and would like to find some spots and get back too. Cheapest functional and user friendly. Additionally I would like use it to find some coord sites in the Galveston bay system that a fishing friend will give me.
Thanks. This is my first post.

I use the GARMIN 12. It's easy to use, has a readily identifiable "GOTO" key and ise inexpensive (relatively). It also has UTM mode for ranging.

Had my Garmin GPS III for over three years and the only reason I'm getting the new GPS V is for the map downloadable capability mine didn't have. The base map setup is nice. About 100 tracklogs would be nice too if they'd get a clue.

The Duracell Ultra AA's work for twenty hours in mine and the processor in the "GPS V" consumes them at the same rate. The GPS III PLUS has the more efficient processor too but just lacks the pixell count and routing feature so the batteries will last even longer in this one.

The Garmin map 12 is exellent. Same as the 12 but has a map with rivers lakes and roads. worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have a garmin GPS III Plus, it is great. But I have been fiddling with measuring distances for a while now and every setting I have tried measures either in tenths of a mile or tenths of a kilometer (100 meter increments).

Has anyone found a more accurate way???

HI
I have used an E-trex summit for the past two years. Easy to use with lots of features. Got me out of a snow storm high in the rockies last fall. Signal strength does get low when in canyons with tree cover, though I am not sure how others would do.

Mach V and all

I found out that greater signal strength could be achived useing rechargable NIMH batteries. I use these batteries for everything now, they last longer have no memory can be charged 1000 times and are less affected by temperature. Just a tip
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.