Gotta bad problem!

Savagefclass

Hello all. Well i think this is the right place to ask this question. I have a Savage 17hmr (the TR model) and im putting the TRR rail system on it. In the process I proceeded to strip out all 4 allen heads the hold the old 2 piece scope rail on. I guess they put some pretty stout loc-tite from the factory and some pretty soft metal allen bolts being that it took little pressure to strip. Question is, how in the world am I going to get them out!! Can I somehow do this myself or can a gunsmith do it? Any help and advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated!! Thanks!

You can do it yourself if you have a drill press I've done it handheld before and will never do it again.
With a drill press:
Find a drill bit the size of the screw head drill just till you get the head to pop off on all 4 screws.
Then take the base off.
Get a pair of vise grips, lock down on the screw and turn, it should turn rite out. Once the base is off the screws will not have tension holding them and should come rite out.

Or go with option 2:

GO TO A GUNSMITH

It's not that big of a problem....

Thanks a bunch! I know it's not that big of a problem but I posted this right after I messed it up. Needless to say I was not happy! But thank you for your reply!

get yourself a soldering iron, and use it to heat the bolts (do not use a torch!) They probably used Loctite 242 (blue), and Loctite will tell you upfront not to use the stuff on that small a screw! Use the purple 222. If you have access to a milling machine you can set the action up in a milling machine (must be very square in the setup), and using a small two flute end mill to cut the bolt heads off. Now after that you can remove the bases, but will still have the threaded parts in the reciver. Heat the threaded stubbs with the soldering iron, and then clamp on them with a small pair of vise grips to uncrew them. There are a couple other ways to remove them, but I don't recommend doing this unless you've done it several times
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts