Headspace problem

Look on the bright side. At least your brass won't grow much on firing. If the barrel wasnt tight and the bolt not stripped down I dont see how you can get an accurate test.
Remember most gun problems , originate from tinkerritus . If it chambers the round , shoot it , if it doesn't take it back too a Smith recheck the head space , if it's a little too tight , lap the lugs , if it needs more headspace let a gunsmith fix it , unless you have that capability , l personally like a tight headspace as long as you can chamber the round.,

I torqued the barrel down and a new case dropped right in.I assembled the gun and loaded a round.I fired it and then FL resized it in a Forester die with out camming the press over.I did not take anything off the case holder.The resized case drops right in the chamber and the bolt closes with no resistance.Sometimes a guy lucks out.Thanks for all the comments and tips,Huntz

I torqued the barrel down and a new case dropped right in.I assembled the gun and loaded a round.I fired it and then FL resized it in a Forester die with out camming the press over.I did not take anything off the case holder.The resized case drops right in the chamber and the bolt closes with no resistance.Sometimes a guy lucks out.Thanks for all the comments and tips,Huntz
Did you, by chance, measure the brass before and after firing? I was just curious. I think a go gauge is + .0002" - nothing compared to SAAMI chambers. Yeah, I never get that lucky.........perhaps a lottery ticket?

Did you, by chance, measure the brass before and after firing? I was just curious. I think a go gauge is + .0002" - nothing compared to SAAMI chambers. Yeah, I never get that lucky.........perhaps a lottery ticket?
No I did not,but will when I sight it in.Good idea,thanks Huntz

You will also loose another .001-.002 of headspace when the barrel is torqued down tight. So your .002 tight will turn into .003-.004 tight.

You will also loose another .001-.002 of headspace when the barrel is torqued down tight. So your .002 tight will turn into .003-.004 tight.
If you're loosing .001-.002 of headspace when you torque your barrel down then your receiver face and barrel shoulder don't have a very good fit. If they are square to each other with a good finish I doubt you'd deform the faces enough to loose any.

If you're loosing .001-.002 of headspace when you torque your barrel down then your receiver face and barrel shoulder don't have a very good fit. If they are square to each other with a good finish I doubt you'd deform the faces enough to loose any.
I'm sure you know this because of all the actions that you have trued and barrels that you have machined and installed yourself. And surely you must have the equipment to measure .001 or less and knowledge to use it. Have you ever heard of elastic or plastic deformation?

Last edited:
I'm sure you know this because of all the actions that you have trued and barrels that you have machined and installed yourself. And surely you must have the equipment to measure .001 or less and knowledge to use it. Have you ever heard of elastic or plastic deformation?
I'm not wanting to derail the op's thread here but to answer your questions, yes.

I have also read posts from many well know smiths that have the same take on it. If everything is square and the finishes are good headspace loss is so little that they don't even worry about it.

There are a few things that will cause your headspace to reduce when torquing the barrel to the action. Finishes that aren't real smooth on the mating faces, a barrel shoulder that isn't square to the tennon threads, a recoil lug that isn't parallel, and one that is mostly found in factory action is the finish and squareness of the receiver face to the threads.

I check all of those when fitting a barrel and correct them if I find anything bad. When everything fits good and you screw the barrel on hand tight you can feel it lock up solid. You almost need a wrench to get them loose when this happens. When they fit like that you won't loose the headspace some are seeing.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 prc Proof Researh , with a West Texas Switch Lug on a Axiom action , that does not allow a set back or crush , it is a hand fit torque , with a set screw that locks the barrels in place for headspace . I was skeptical when I built this rifle, because I am from the old school of gun smithing , but all I can say is it works. I figure the difference in everything it's a lot more precise and has too be for repeatability changing barrels and returning back too zero. A different animal all together , a whole different way of achieving proper headspace.