Got Two Rifles, Need Two Scopes

Rucker61

I have a CZ 527 Varmint in .223 and a CZ 550 I just bought in .270. My current plan is to use the .270 for antelope and mule deer in Colorado and Wyoming, and to spend the summer shooting many, many rounds of .223/5.56 through the 527 to work on becoming a better shot.

I'm trying to figure out a good strategy for scope purchases and use. Currently there's a Vortex Crossfire 4-16x on the .223 and a newly purchased Vortex Diamondback 3.9x on the .270. I've already decided that the Diamondback is going back and the Crossfire is already up for sale. Current budget is $600-$800.

I have two leading strategies: buy a SWFA SS 6x in mil/mil for the hunting rifle and one in 12x mil/mil for the target rifle, and work on ranging over the summer learning milrads. The other is to get a pair of Vortex Vipers, one in 3-9x, the other undecided, with BDC, shoot enough out of both guns to get good data for custom turrets and put the TMT turrets on both.

A new strategy is to buy just one scope, full budget, and shoot it all summer on the .223 then switch it to the .270 for hunting season. I plan on buying a laser rangefinder in any case. I'm a born again newbie, as I haven't shot much or hunted at all in about 40 years. I can shoot 1 MOA if I pay attention, and I've got buddies to take me out hunting. I have access to a range with 300 yds lanes.

Any suggestions, or pushes in a new direction?

How far do you plan on realistically shooting both rifles?

Excellent question. With the .223, mostly up to 300 yds, with a slight chance of a weekend shooting up to 600 yds. Hunting with the .270, given my lack of expenence, no more than 400 yds and perhaps limited to 300 yds. Will a 2-7x suffice for antelope, mulies and elks in Colorado and Wyoming?

At those distances (out to 400) a 2-7 will be fine for deer and antelope, but most people want as much magnification as they can get. I personally love the 4-16 range or even a 3-12. At most of those ranges you won't ever need to dial because slight holdovers is all you'll need.

A scope with a bdc reticle of some sort can help you feel more confident when you hit the 400 yard mark with the 270. If you were only going with one scope to cover everything you mentioned (including the 600 yard weekend shoot) I'd probably go with a SS 3-9 or one of the Vortex Viper series if you want to dial your shots, if you want to holdover there are many companies with reticles that can give you holdover references and my personal favorite is the Burris Ballistic MilDot offered on a few of their scopes.

I have a bushnell 3200 5-15x 40 that i would let go if you are interested. its on my 223 but im selling the gun so I have no need for the scope. I would let it go for $225

Any of the newer Redfield revolutions are the way to go. Not only at a great price but the quality is very compareable to there Leupold family. The eye relief on all moldels and at any magnification is there picture perfect. The Vortec scopes are nice scopes if one don't mind a scoped eye from time to time. Why make a good product out of a scope but neglect the importance of eye relief. Soooo many scopes out there w/ this same problem. I have to say I am impresses w./ Redfield today. I am new here to the forum so thanks for being there. I mostly shoot muzzleloaders but again i am open for all subjects. Thanks

I will also add that the .223 or .270 would be fine calibers topped w/ the revolutions accu-range reticle. It comes w/ aiming points that work with most popular hunting loads like the .270 etc.. The 3x9x50,4x12x40 are all you need for a shot needed for 300 plus yards. Currently ALL revolution scopes carry a 5 star rating and for around 200.00 dallars you have a better than 3200 or 4200 bushnell beat just to name a couple to compare too. The eye relief like I mentioned before w/ the redfield are 3.7-4.2. the scopes like the vortex,bushnell,etc., your lucky if you have a solid circular view of 3.4-3.6 at any given time. I am just impressed w/ the redfield to such a degree that i want other people to look into them as well. Ive been burned w/ alot of scopes over the 46 years ive hunted and i mean buisness when i say this is worth the money. I will end here w/ that and good luck to you hope i was of some assistance for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts