Got to hunt with an old Friend

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Hard to believe its been 20 years since i officially opened my shop doors and started building precision firearms for a living. Before that officially happened though, in 2001, my soon to be wife at that time bought me a mauser m98 action as a present to be the first rifle i ever built. As I was quite nervous being my first rifle, i ordered in a low cost A&B chrome moly barrel and a boyds laminate stock. Put it all together and chambered it in 6.5-06 Ack Imp. It was even the very first rifle i hot caustic blued and it turned out great.

33E5E20A-4325-4A97-B3CB-F3C8C5C3954E.jpeg

i had shot the rifle quite a bit and even with the low cost barrel, it shot extremely well. However, over the years i never once took this rifle hunting, EVER. This summer i decided i wanted to use the very first rifle i ever built and try to take a good whitetail with it.

Hope of finding a BIG deer faded as there were just no big bucks running around our property this year but several good management bucks. Few days ago got an opportunity and this old rifle performed flawlessly on a 300 yard shot. Perfect double lung shot. Was very satisfying to get to finally use my first rifle to out some meat in the freezer. Not long range but fun none the less.

895EF264-79FE-4E9F-961E-1A6912798A7B.jpeg

EB396285-2F08-4185-B965-3062FF24C106.jpeg

just a nice solid management type buck but one i will never forget. Little bit of APS history, 20 plus years in the making. By the way, load used was the 143 gr eldx at 3100 fps.

Hard to believe its been 20 years since i officially opened my shop doors and started building precision firearms for a living. Before that officially happened though, in 2001, my soon to be wife at that time bought me a mauser m98 action as a present to be the first rifle i ever built. As I was quite nervous being my first rifle, i ordered in a low cost A&B chrome moly barrel and a boyds laminate stock. Put it all together and chambered it in 6.5-06 Ack Imp. It was even the very first rifle i hot caustic blued and it turned out great.

View attachment 410570

i had shot the rifle quite a bit and even with the low cost barrel, it shot extremely well. However, over the years i never once took this rifle hunting, EVER. This summer i decided i wanted to use the very first rifle i ever built and try to take a good whitetail with it.

Hope of finding a BIG deer faded as there were just no big bucks running around our property this year but several good management bucks. Few days ago got an opportunity and this old rifle performed flawlessly on a 300 yard shot. Perfect double lung shot. Was very satisfying to get to finally use my first rifle to out some meat in the freezer. Not long range but fun none the less.

View attachment 410571

View attachment 410572

just a nice solid management type buck but one i will never forget. Little bit of APS history, 20 plus years in the making. By the way, load used was the 143 gr eldx at 3100 fps.
Fifty driver your singing my song , I love those old custom mausers when done right . That looks like a good one my dad was a master at building custom mausers he built his own forging blocks for bolt altering , and the complete finished rifle stock and all no boarder hand checkering . I helped but he was the master . Nice buck congrats.

Fifty driver your singing my song , I love those old custom mausers when done right . That looks like a good one my dad was a master at building custom mausers he built his own forging blocks for bolt altering , and the complete finished rifle stock and all no boarder hand checkering . I helped but he was the master . Nice buck congrats.
I have not built many mausers over the years. My specialty is certainly a different breed of rifle then that but no doubt a well built mauser is a thing of classic beauty!!

Love the rifle and story......I was just looking at my late father's Steven 520 12 gauge in the safe thinking it would be fun to bring it out and shoot another deer with it. Sometimes it's nice to go back to the roots! BTW- I'm free and a pretty decent manager if you need help managing bucks like that! 🙃

Wow Kirby, talk about bringing out the nostalgia in me, mighta got some dust in my eye as well....

Many moons ago, I "kidnapped" one of my dad's rifles in early November (to this day, i'm not sure if he knew or not).

Anyway.... At Christmas, I presented him with the first and only custom rifle he ever owned. A reworked Mauser, in 6.5-06AI nonetheless!, in a (no kidding) Boyd's laminate stock 🤣 😅 . Though, his is a thumbhole & wears a Shilen barrel so you can't call me a complete copycat :cool:

Dad passed away this February & now that rifle sits in my collection. I'll have to change the stock (I'm southpaw), but you just convinced me to get it back out into the field. The memories.... wow.

t

Wow Kirby, talk about bringing out the nostalgia in me, mighta got some dust in my eye as well....

Many moons ago, I "kidnapped" one of my dad's rifles in early November (to this day, i'm not sure if he knew or not).

Anyway.... At Christmas, I presented him with the first and only custom rifle he ever owned. A reworked Mauser, in 6.5-06AI nonetheless!, in a (no kidding) Boyd's laminate stock 🤣 😅 . Though, his is a thumbhole & wears a Shilen barrel so you can't call me a complete copycat :cool:

Dad passed away this February & now that rifle sits in my collection. I'll have to change the stock (I'm southpaw), but you just convinced me to get it back out into the field. The memories.... wow.

t
Rifles were ment to be used, change that stock and build on the great memories!!