Good rifle for hunting Eland at long range?

MikeSanders

Well I'm thinking about taking up a offer on a hunt in Texas on a Eland hunt, He is long range friendly, and all of that. Well I have the following calibers for long range that I use to shoot pretty much all the time,

308 Win Model 70
300 Rum Model 700 custom
338 Lapua Savage 110

And a 7mm Ultra magnum

Which of the following would be good for a Eland and possibly other big animals? They are pretty darn big.. I'm thinking the 338 would be good enough..

My dad shot his Eland in September with a 30.06 Springfield when we were in South Africa. It was only about 130 yards but it was plenty enough to kill such a large animal. I'm not sure how far you'll be shooting but if its here in Texas I'd probably say the 300 RUM should be a great choice. I'd use the Lapua for anything beyond the 1,000 yard mark and the RUM for 1,000 and closer. I kind of like shooting magnum cartridges so I probably would pass on the .308 nothing against it, I know some people shoot them well even at long range, but my preference is to be able to shoot heavier bullets faster out of the magnums.

All the rifles you listed would work fine, but I would not chose the 308 for LR work. Depends how far you plan to shoot. On 800 yards or more, I would go with the 338. That's just me though. If you risk paying for a lost animal, the 338 is my only choice!

I have killed one very large Eland in Africa with a 338-378 Wby and all shots were at about 150 yards right on the left shoulder with 225 nosler Part's. It took 4 shots to completely stop the animal. All fatal shots!

This was just my experience, it can be a tough animal, much bigger then a bull elk!

"What works for elk will work for eland".
I find them to be just as elusive and tough. Choose your cartridge and bullet accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.