Good caliber for HOG hunting

As a Texan. I'm gonna say any caliber. We hate these animals.
But .223 if you are sniper accurate with Berger or other super expanding bullets.
.243-30/30 since you've got a bummed shoulder.
If you've got a muzzle brake on a rifle you can shoot 30.06+ to Magnum size.
Aim either really low behind the elbow.
Neck shots is what I go for using my 300 Blkout with NV equipment.

+1 for .308. I prefer to hog hunt using my .308 with 150gr Hornady SST or GMX. Recoil isnt bad and I think its a perfect caliber for hog hunting from 100-400yds (at least in my experience hunting in Texas). Ammo is cheap (comparatively) and very easy to find with a lot of factory options (if you do not reload).

Very old post,but thoughts on what I would use if I were to make it down to the great state of texas...My custom ar15 in 6.8spc/110 gr nosler accubonds ,or hornady 120 sst out to 200 yards . And for longer shots maybe 300-500 yards during the day, my Savage model 12 .308/using hornady 165 gr sst . Love the 6.8 though . Less recoil and will anchor a pig I assure you .

I need some insight on a caliber. I had a 25-06 but sold it a few years ago. All I ever shot with it was paper. I have a 35 Rem and a 45-70 but neither one is what I want to use for 200+ yd shots, 300 or so may be a max distance. I want a bit bigger bullet than what the 25 caliber offers. Rifle will be a bolt action with a 3x9 or 4x12 scope. The 7mm08 looks good but what do ya'll think. I'm 70 with a bad shoulder so I don't want a 300 Howitzer. Thanks, Jerry
If you can put the bullets where they need to be look at the 6.5x47Lapua, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 (6.5 Swede) or .260 Remington.

The 6.5's will give you better ballistics than the 7mm-08 and since recoil is a consideration the 6.5's will have lower recoil as well.

The next consideration is whether or not you reload or would be dependent on factory ammo.

Very old post,but thoughts on what I would use if I were to make it down to the great state of texas...My custom ar15 in 6.8spc/110 gr nosler accubonds ,or hornady 120 sst out to 200 yards . And for longer shots maybe 300-500 yards during the day, my Savage model 12 .308/using hornady 165 gr sst . Love the 6.8 though . Less recoil and will anchor a pig I assure you .
For short range it's awfully hard to beat the 6.8spc with the Nosler Accubonds.

In either a Mini 14 or AR Platform rifle they are just a heck of a lot of fun to shoot as well.

I am primarily a hog hunter and do not take long shots and do not like recoil as well. I have seen multiple hog shot with multiple calibers in different scenarios. My vote would be a 7mm-08 for a rifle hands down. Im not a ballistics expert but for some reason it is the most effective and seems to leave the best blood trail hands down. In your short range situation nothing beats a slug gun but there again its more recoil. My 10 year old daughter shoots em with a 7MM-08 AND .243 and has done so since she turned five for her first kill! I ordered a 7mm-08 today for my self and ordered all the parts to build her a .308 (Why she needs it I dont know but whatever!) Primarily I use Federal Vital Shock or Hornady SST and have had 100% success.

I am primarily a hog hunter and do not take long shots and do not like recoil as well. I have seen multiple hog shot with multiple calibers in different scenarios. My vote would be a 7mm-08 for a rifle hands down. Im not a ballistics expert but for some reason it is the most effective and seems to leave the best blood trail hands down. In your short range situation nothing beats a slug gun but there again its more recoil. My 10 year old daughter shoots em with a 7MM-08 AND .243 and has done so since she turned five for her first kill! I ordered a 7mm-08 today for my self and ordered all the parts to build her a .308 (Why she needs it I dont know but whatever!) Primarily I use Federal Vital Shock or Hornady SST and have had 100% success.
At reasonably short ranges the choice of caliber doesn't make much difference as long as you use a good bullet and can put it in the right place.

I've killed quite a few now with a 5.56 and even some rather large hogs with the 6.8spc. The .260 has been doing a great job on them this year as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.